• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

building the forgotten server

Stefan Jonsson

Reaction score
I followed the instructions to compile theForgottenServer on my windows computer. When trying to build the project I get:

1>------ Build started: Project: theforgottenserver, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'libboost_system-vc140-mt-gd-1_62.lib'
1>Done building project "theforgottenserver.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I checked the file, and it is there. Why can't Visual Studio open it?

you sure you added boost correctly?
installed it to C:\local\boost_1_62_0 and used the batch file inside of it?
you can also manually do it by clicking forgottenserver properties under the project tab
click linker->input->additional dependencies
click the dropdown menu and add C:\local\boost_1_62_0 (or wherever you installed boost to) to it

I've tried running the batch file, it doesn't seem to make any difference. I tried the manual approach and now I get:

1>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'C:\local\boost_1_62_0.obj'

Aha, thanks for your help! Now it compiles. However when I run it I get:

The code execution canntot preceed because libmysql.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.

I tried reinstalling the forgotten server according to the instructions on github, but the same error dialog just reappears.

I'm guessing that this means that the other bat file didn't work either, since '[file]' belongs to tfs-sdk. Furthermore I'm guessing that the other bat file is supposed to create a new system variable that points to the root directory of tfs-sdk, so I added the variable manually and called it TFSSDKDir (is that the correct name), then I restarted the computer and tried again. Still couldn't run - same error dialog. I also tried to simply add the path to tfs-sdk root directory in the Path variable. What am I doing wrong?

86-bit system doesn't exists either are possible :D:D:D

btw lua libs on tfs 1.x are static linked, only dynamic lib you need is mysql.lib, which already is inside tfs SDK folder that you have downloaded
no, if you compiled TFS in x64 you can't run x86 dlls with TFS. (and vice versa)

no, if you compiled TFS in x64 you can't run x86 dlls with TFS. (and vice versa)
dude x86 is doesnt meant for 86bit system, it meant for X86 intel processors, which introduced 32bit long instructions compatibility, eg (8086, 80286, 80386 ... )

Yes, I downloaded the DLL pack and put it into the right folder. Now I am able to run the program, but it returns:

'theforgottenserver.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\Stefan\Documents\GitHub\forgottenserver\vc14\x64\Debug\theforgottenserver.exe'. Symbols loaded.
'theforgottenserver.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'theforgottenserver.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\kernel32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'theforgottenserver.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\Av\avghooka.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'theforgottenserver.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\x64\aswhooka.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'theforgottenserver.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\KernelBase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'theforgottenserver.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ws2_32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'theforgottenserver.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\sechost.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'theforgottenserver.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\rpcrt4.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'theforgottenserver.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\Stefan\Documents\GitHub\forgottenserver\vc14\x64\Debug\libmysql.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'theforgottenserver.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\user32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'theforgottenserver.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\win32u.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'theforgottenserver.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\gdi32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'theforgottenserver.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\gdi32full.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'theforgottenserver.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msvcp_win.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'theforgottenserver.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ucrtbase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'theforgottenserver.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\advapi32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'theforgottenserver.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'theforgottenserver.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msvcp140d.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'theforgottenserver.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\mswsock.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'theforgottenserver.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\vcruntime140d.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'theforgottenserver.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ucrtbased.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'theforgottenserver.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\imm32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'theforgottenserver.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\kernel.appcore.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
The thread 0xb24 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 0x1668 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 0x25cc has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The program '[14568] theforgottenserver.exe' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

It seems like I'm missing some PDB files. Is there another pack I need to download?

I'm pretty sure I'm compiling it in release x64 now, but it still seems to believe I want to run it in x32.
it's already compiled, just look on output folder and get tfs binary, what you're trying to do is start tfs with visual studio debugger, which doesn't know what is your working directory, you need to configure your visual studio to get this working, tho you don't need that

Back