• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Buying a Dedicated Server and hosting it at home.

frankfarmer

who'r ninja now
Premium User
Reaction score
If I would invest in buying a server, example:

Server Specs

Then, when I get it, where do I have it? I mean, what i can see there is not a computer like my home-pc now. So, is it the same like, buy the server, network cable @ start ot-server, and keep it running on my local internet company and just pay the local powersupplier each month?

Or do I need something more?

Thanks for the answers!

Well, yes. You can do so, i've done it for a while and it gives you cheap server. But usally you'll have to find a good co-location provider because you don't want line breaks or power breaks when you have to drive down and power your server up.

Well, yes. You can do so, i've done it for a while and it gives you cheap server. But usally you'll have to find a good co-location provider because you don't want line breaks or power breaks when you have to drive down and power your server up.

retard? You can start up the server from the powernet with kvm over ip. I got my own colocated space and I'm hosting there for months now and very satisfied. At leaseweb datacenter in Amsterdam.

Don't listen to thestian. He just talks crap.

The thing is, he lives in Sweden (EDIT: Not sure anymore) and it sounds like he wants it cheap. Yes, you can use KVM over IP, and something to trigger the WOL to power on the server. But it'll really rice with price a bit. Anyway, not every datacenter is like leaseweb either.

Um...

That's a rack server.

Rack mount servers are meant for large companies (Like webhosting companies) who needs to use a large amount of servers, but doesn't want to waste a lot of space with regular tower cases.

They are usually placed in Rack Mount Cabinets such as this:

it3.jpg

So you would most likely have to rent a space at some co-location facility if you want to use it, and even then you would need to pay for the internet as well as power. The positive side about that however is that they most likely have UPS backup in case of power faliure.

Personally I would recommend a regular tower server for you. Sure you can keep that rack server on the floor or something, but a regular tower-case server is much easier to upgrade, and has much more space for components like harddrives and disk drives and other stuff, it also has far better cooling than those cramped rack servers.

Back