• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Suggestion Can we please enable post edits (remove edit expiry) in the Advertisement forum only?

nugo

Australia OT Mapper
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello,

Can we please remove the edit post expiry timer in the Advertisement forum? I understand why you added it on the website as a whole to stop people removing there content years later but this feature doesn't really apply to the Advertisement section of the forum and is a painful feature especially if your server has been up for sometime and you want to overhaul your post. I want to update my 1.5 year old post as it requires a bit of an overhaul considering so much has changed. It's a nightmare the post and add what i need changed as i need hyperlinks edited, some re-formatting and the report function doesn't allow me to structure the post properly. The creation of a new thread inst ideal either as people like to keep the post history on there main threads especially if theirs years worth of good testimonials. While the mods do a good job of updating posts within a few days once you report smaller issues im sure they dont want to be doing it all the time and the advertisers dont want to be message mods trying to get edits done. It seems like a win win for both parties?

Cheers

1. report asking for bbcode
2. edit bbcode and use preview feature to make sure its what you want
3. pastebin.com the bbcode and report main post with new bbcode
4. ???
5. profit

to be fair i get the point but there are risks because u can just change random shit like lets say changing your ip to something malicious after thread is approved or something

to be fair i get the point but there are risks because u can just change random shit like lets say changing your ip to something malicious after thread is approved or something
You can do that anyway post edits are still available for a certain amount of time unless thats changed since i last posted in advertising, it has been a while lol.

1. report asking for bbcode
2. edit bbcode and use preview feature to make sure its what you want
3. pastebin.com the bbcode and report main post with new bbcode
4. ???
5. profit

I get what your saying, didnt think of that but simple is always better

1. Click edit
2. Profit

You can do that anyway post edits are still available for a certain amount of time unless thats changed since i last posted in advertising, it has been a while lol.

No once the thread is approved only mods can edit the post.

It was removed because people deleted the content / editing links to infect users computer etc
Doubt it will be added back since people still try by reporting the post and telling us to delete everything or even change to a link with a virus.
Something that might work is if a user can edit the post but it then has to be approved by a moderator, but I doubt thats even possible.

And if I remember correctly this was first added to the download section and then the advertisement board, if anything gets changed it will probably be for the other boards ex discussions / support etc and not in the most controlled boards.

I sent you the BB code for your thread, you can edit it and then report the main post with the new BB code.

If a user wants to delete their post, it should be their right to do so.
If a user wants to delete their post, they can report the post and ask for a deletion.
However, if you e.g make a support thread, and get the help that you want - then request a deletion of the thread so not anyone else can learn from the thread, we won't accept the request.

The creation of a new thread inst ideal either as people like to keep the post history on there main threads especially if theirs years worth of good testimonials.
For advertisement, we specifically want to avoid people "carrying" over their "testimonials" (probably not fully positive but still the appearance of popularity may be there) to a new edition or a completely remade server. It's unfair if you keep "reusing" your thread and change a name of your server and everything else, it essentially starts new this week, yet it looks like your server has been around for years and has many pages of posts.

So no, in those cases, we wouldn't change the content. Unfortunately, the only way to enforce that is through strict moderation. As was said before, the restrictions were put in place ONLY in response to reoccurring instances of manipulation and malicious behavior. If you think we enjoy doing 100x more work responding to all those "reports" asking us for edits, think again. But that is the only way to stop the manipulators around here, so we do it.

For advertisement, we specifically want to avoid people "carrying" over their "testimonials" (probably not fully positive but still the appearance of popularity may be there) to a new edition or a completely remade server. It's unfair if you keep "reusing" your thread and change a name of your server and everything else, it essentially starts new this week, yet it looks like your server has been around for years and has many pages of posts.

So no, in those cases, we wouldn't change the content. Unfortunately, the only way to enforce that is through strict moderation. As was said before, the restrictions were put in place ONLY in response to reoccurring instances of manipulation and malicious behavior. If you think we enjoy doing 100x more work responding to all those "reports" asking us for edits, think again. But that is the only way to stop the manipulators around here, so we do it.
Fair enough, makes sense.

Back