• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Can you still make money on servers?

Interesting.
Of course that's not all-inclusive and by no means the "best" way to measure the amount of "active OT players." But the drop is far too large to say it means nothing.

Red
It shows half of players online, how can you say "by no means", at LEAST ,OTServer lost 40% of their population.

Decided to look this up and between 2011 and 2013 there was a HUGE loss of players and servers but after that the playercount has stayed around 20k instead of dropping.

In 2011 they also added this to otservlist: "Adding login servers (summing online players from a few servers) and counting quit players (e.g. on trainers) is also prohibited." which is why I didn't include years before 2011.

2011 feb 8 - http://web.archive.org/web/20110208200600/http://otservlist.org/
Code:
There are 47843 players online on 1483 servers
Last Update: February 8, 2011, 9:04 pm

2012 jan 26 - http://web.archive.org/web/20120126111050/http://otservlist.org/
Code:
There are 34706 players online on 1102 servers
Last Update: January 26, 2012, 12:10 pm

2013 jan 15 - http://web.archive.org/web/20130115042625/http://otservlist.org/
Code:
There are 20008 players online on 771 servers
Last Update: January 15, 2013, 5:24 am

2014 feb 8 - http://web.archive.org/web/20140208014745/http://otservlist.org/
Code:
There are 20366 players online on 680 servers
Last Update: February 8, 2014, 2:47 am

2015 feb 26 - otservlist.org
Code:
There are 19933 players online on 570 servers
Last Update: February 26, 2015, 12:52 am

Obviously it isn't super accurate since it's not the same date/same time but it gives some nice numbers atleast

The scary part about that..
The numbers are dropping, slow but they're dropping.
And the longer the time goes, the more and more of those numbers are spoofed.

Lets face it, 10 years ago there was barely no server spoofing.
5 years ago some servers started to MC spoof.
one or two years back, it's training with no-kick spoof, mc spoof or even direct data-spoof by C++.
I saw a thread somewhere there a guy actually made a tutorial how to spoof by C++ instead of logging shitloads of MC.

So that's scary.. the slowly dropping numbers... may be faster than we think.
What of the real number of 47k earlier, was 45k honest players, today at 19k players, but only 10k is honest.. Who knows?
But one thing is certain, out of 20k "players" online, more than half is a computer playing Tibia and not a human.

The scary part about that..
The numbers are dropping, slow but they're dropping.
And the longer the time goes, the more and more of those numbers are spoofed.

Lets face it, 10 years ago there was barely no server spoofing.
5 years ago some servers started to MC spoof.
one or two years back, it's training with no-kick spoof, mc spoof or even direct data-spoof by C++.
I saw a thread somewhere there a guy actually made a tutorial how to spoof by C++ instead of logging shitloads of MC.

So that's scary.. the slowly dropping numbers... may be faster than we think.
What of the real number of 47k earlier, was 45k honest players, today at 19k players, but only 10k is honest.. Who knows?
But one thing is certain, out of 20k "players" online, more than half is a computer playing Tibia and not a human.

5 years ago people actually played server, as someone said before, today bots play it.

5 years ago people actually played server, as someone said before, today bots play it.
Yup, I've actually had players complaining to me that I deleted their accounts with excuse "I didn't know bot was illegal"... Such player-base we have today <.<

It shows half of players online, how can you say "by no means", at LEAST ,OTServer lost 40% of their population.

I did not state that the change was insignificant.
"by no means" opines the efficacy and accuracy of the method used to evaluate the change in the array of quantitative data.

Red

Then stop sitting here crying about it, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

We all know VERY WELL that OT's playerbase has gone down but its still at a stable 20-25k players online at some points (which is MORE than it was for 2 years ago)

You crying about it doesnt change anything, so stop wasting our time and contribute instead of acting like this

@Stellow OT servers are still profitable. In prime time there are at least 50 servers or more with 100 players + on them. Just check otservlist and i am not counting the pokemon games or those that are not registered. Without doing any research you can do a simple calculation to know if they are profitable. Lets say you have 100 players online constantly, you can assume there are around 500 active players over the day. Lets say half have premium. Lets assume they use a shop system similar to classicus (monthly fee plus items) $5 x 250 players (monthly premium) = 1.25k + items. Good dedicated servers are between $100-300 monthly the rest is profit.You earn that, just for making sure everything in the server running fine. If you do a well developed server like pokexgames (just an example) they had 800 players online constantly and they reported 30k monthly income when nintendo closed down pokemon online the first time.

-
If you are creating a server for money, don't even bother doing it. You won't even have a successfull ot if you go for money..

Tibia is sure profitable still, more than it has ever been. But you shouldn't rely on it because the donations is a bonus to keep the server online, not for you to make money

Yes you can still make money in OT's. Just remember to put effort into your ot.

I don't mind people attempting to earn money on their servers, aslong as they provide what they promise to their players.

People say i complain too much on the advertisement section but this is what i am trying to accomplish. That people put effort in their god %#$%$ servers! Don't expect to get money by downloading a distro and hosting it. Is also they key to success. hehe

Last edited:

People ARE constantly doing "something" about this - that's why the numbers are decreasing. I can't even imagine how UNIMAGINATIVE and UNCREATIVE people turn out to be. They try same shit again and again because for the first time it was introduced by someone it succeed. That's why there are so many RL map, Pokemon and DBL servers. Now 7.4 wave is coming.

Last edited:

We all know VERY WELL that OT's playerbase has gone down but its still at a stable 20-25k players online at some points (which is MORE than it was for 2 years ago)

You crying about it doesnt change anything, so stop wasting our time and contribute instead of acting like this
im not crying baby, hahaha just talking with my fellows !

Well, I think is not about being creative. Most of people plays online real map servers anyway, own map that succeed is hard to see.

90%~95% of successfully OTs on otservlist was made ONLY as a "money machine". Only a very small number of server (with pathetic number of players) is not focused in be a machine money.

My own OT was a great success for years when I was only interested in making money. But I was not happy with this, always bothers me.

Then I decided to learn lot of programming and make hard study of OTs engine. Why? Try change the things to something decent with introduction of custom content, RPG, anti-bots policy, monsters with AI, sophisticated battle mechanisms, and lot of other things. What happens? The players left and now the OT was broken. Just that. And its is not a theory, is how make a server with 300+ players go to less then 20 in less then two years.

Can you dedicate your time to create a decent OT, with quality, and dont care too much with money? Yes, if you have no problem in see you hard work being played only be a 10-20 players! But if you wait thousand of players, you are wasting your time.

Think that: we have in the world many decent games, with good content, developed in a very good way and by very good companies. Therefore, if some player really want play something decent, good, he will NEVER choose Tibia. And if he choose an OT! God have mercy... If he was playing this, please, be realistic. He dont care with none of these qualities.

If OTs is profitable? Not as some years ago naturally... But if you dont try nothing out of the default OTs, yes, can be.

Last edited:
Think that: we have in the world many decent games, with good content, developed in a very good way and by very good companies. Therefore, if some player really want play something decent, good, he will NEVER choose Tibia. And if he choose an OT! God have mercy... If he was playing this, please, be realistic. He dont care with none of these qualities.

I disagree with that one. Tibia is one of it's kind but the classic one is so corrupted, that's why people prefer to play on OTS.

Last edited:
Well, I think is not about being creative. Most of people plays online real map servers anyway, own map that succeed is hard to see.

I disagree, real maps are successful. That is a fact but if you are really creative you can anchive the top easily. Pokexgames is the proof of that. They currently have 8 servers with 200+ players in each one. 1,600 players online constantly. If they reported 30k several years ago on 800 players online. They must be making 60k or more monthly. But i give you something if you offer a lagless server, with everything working and a real map you will do fine.

Still if you know rl maps give money why do you ask the question?

@SlashX the tibia engine is not dead, far from it.

Ah, you're a graphical whore.. me myself I'm a game-play whore, I want a nice and funny game, and I'm not converted into games just because they make nice graphics.......
But I guess you're pretty young and wasn't around the era of simple games so you have no fucking idea how to appreciate the actual game instead of the graphics.

Ah, you're a graphical whore.. me myself I'm a game-play whore, I want a nice and funny game, and I'm not converted into games just because they make nice graphics.......
But I guess you're pretty young and wasn't around the era of simple games so you have no fucking idea how to appreciate the actual game instead of the graphics.

Exactly the best games ever created are on the nes, snes and psx and to date they are praised like legends.

Exactly the best games ever created are on the nes, snes and psx and to date they are praised like legends.
I remember my favorite game back in 1996 was Ice Climbers on old Nintendo.
I also loved Super Mario, basically 6 buttons to control the game, 4 of them just to walk, and 2 for others.
But todays kids must have games with 10,000 functions what you can do with your character, and the graphics must be the newest <.< Hate that.
You started to see these kids when WOW came online as MMO, people switched from Tibia to wow, and those who stayed in Tibia was apparently "noobs". We'll at least we're not whores selling our soul to the one make best images......

Edit, And seriously, I'd rather play James Bond in Nintendo 64 than buying Battle Field 3.
Weird graphics and stuffs, but it was damn fun.
My favorite map on James Bond was the one with a ship, I don't remember the mission but I had fun opening doors and shoot the crew on the other side and all that

I disagree, real maps are successful. That is a fact but if you are really creative you can anchive the top easily. Pokexgames is the proof of that. They currently have 8 servers with 200+ players in each one. 1,600 players online constantly. If they reported 30k several years ago on 800 players online. They must be making 60k or more monthly. But i give you something if you offer a lagless server, with everything working and a real map you will do fine.

Still if you know rl maps give money why do you ask the question?

@SlashX the tibia engine is not dead, far from it.
it is just a discussion forum, not making questions.

Back