• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Change Skill Name with Hex Editor (is not valid win32 application)

Stanos

Veteran OT User
Solutions
Reaction score
So i done editing skill names with hex editor. Its suppose to be easy right? Just find a text and replace that text but after i done changing and try to launch the client it says is not valid win32 application.
Protocol 860

Solution
You have deleted characters there. If your string is shorter than the original, omyou need to add 0D values untill it goes to the same lenght
Well it would be helpful if we knew what hex editor you are using.. have you ever used a hex editor before and is it the same one you used... did you replace the text or put in text that is longer than the original text?
It's not just the problem which is important but the steps that lead up to the problem, this is how people are able to help you resolve an issue.

If its XVI32 then you probably saved the exe with the wrong window highlighted.

Well it would be helpful if we knew what hex editor you are using.. have you ever used a hex editor before and is it the same one you used... did you replace the text or put in text that is longer than the original text?
It's not just the problem which is important but the steps that lead up to the problem, this is how people are able to help you resolve an issue.

If its XVI32 then you probably saved the exe with the wrong window highlighted.
No i didn't used before its my first time. I'm using right now HxD Hex Editor 1.7.7.0
This is my steps. I dont know what can you do different.
(Find a text which i want to change. In this situation i'm not changing completely, just showing.)
step1.png

(So this is how it looks when you change a name) From fist fighting to Test
step2.png

(And this is how i save, probably this is the problem)
step3.png

And thats it.

You have deleted characters there. If your string is shorter than the original, omyou need to add 0D values untill it goes to the same lenght

Solution
Ok thanks now i dont get any problems but i still have two questions :D
1. 0D that symbol "0" is it zero or letter? :D Because if its number it shows dots in the client :D
Untitled.png

Maybe it should be 2E?
2. Second think what if string is higher? So that means i have to increase my string somewhere?

Mmh..... should be zero D, but at the end, not in the start of the string, can you upload picture of hex editro?

May I ask why 0D(carriage return) instead of 00(NULL)? because NULL-byte represent the end of string.
"2. Second think what if string is higher? So that means i have to increase my string somewhere?"
No you can't change size of executable because of how it's structurized, if you really want to have strings bigger than the default executable offer you might need to learn about reverse-engineering.

May I ask why 0D(carriage return) instead of 00(NULL)? because NULL-byte represent the end of string.
"2. Second think what if string is higher? So that means i have to increase my string somewhere?"
No you can't change size of executable because of how it's structurized, if you really want to have strings bigger than the default executable offer you might need to learn about reverse-engineering.
Yep it should NULL thank you sir.

Back