• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

CipSoft's "Creator" software (Map Editor and more)

kay is at it again

Knightmare was (is) a big fan of Tolkien. Other guilds tried to come up with their own concepts and lore that did not have anything to do Tolkien's stuff, since it was already too much such things at the time. But those ideas would almost never be implemented unless there was some connection to Tolkien due to both CIP and Knightmare being big fans of his books - that's the course of the game they initially took. And that was the sad reality for a while. There were a lot of mappers and lore writers - some doing minor details, some doing entire city sketches. A lot of them never got accepted. Pretty much your only chance of getting something implemented was by submitting a draft to Knightmare or a few others that were close to CIP. And by doing so, he'd take a lot (if not full) credit for it. Which is why Knightmare isn't that liked among the old guilds. He had the role of a community manager back then, sort of like the modern CM's today. His job (back then) mostly consisted of using someone else's drafts, adding some Tolkien allusion to it, forwarding it to CIP and getting full credit for it. TL/DR: Knightmare did not do much on his own. He wasn't creative, or a great mapper, or a great lore writer. He was (is) a big fan of Tolkien, a complete nerd about it, and loved taking full cred for other people's ideas.

And oh, we're not friends. We were enemies but we have some mutual connections.
Just because we can be respectful to each others doesn't mean we are friends.
That just shows you haven't quite grasped the concept of socializing with people.
You always seem to think you know shit but very often just come off as an asshole.

I don't even know why I'm replying to you here. It's not like you care anyways - you're always looking to argue with people. Never understood people like you. Go on and post some more stuff you think you know, but you actually don't.

We're all used to the map right now, and it doesn't have any mystery left, but can we take a moment and realize how brilliant the map design is? How every single creature on the classic map (Mainland, Ankrahmun/Darashia and Edron) is thoughtfully put in? How HUGE and complex the underground levels are? The maps from 1998 to 2005 just amaze me.

Many people think that a good map means how "beautiful" it is and how many details it contains. But your local farm in a modern MMORPG could be the most realistic local farm you've ever seen in a video game, but at the end of the day, it's just a freakin' farm and there's nothing special about it. There's no feeling or mystery attached to it.

Tibia have a "best" map design. Everything is connected to each other in genuine ways. Hard monsters roam near easy monsters, there is a deep underground level, there are a lot mazes, it's slow-pace, etc. And more often than not, you will get lost for a while and then enter a door that suddenly puts you way back at the beginning, mindblowing the hell out of you. I had this exact same feeling in Tibia back in the early days.

So, yeah... Knightmare was actually a genius and there is no doubt about that. The feeling is stronger than just a tolkien plagiary.

I'm still curious whether they created maze of lost souls manually or used some sort of script. Insane amount of work if they've done it manually.
One good thing about this creator tool is that one person can build both the area and all the triggers/lore pieces around it so miscommunications between level designer and programmer/lore team are nearly impossible to happen.

Last edited:
I'm still curious whether they created maze of lost souls manually or used some sort of script. Insane amount of work if they've done it manually.
One good thing about this creator tool is that one person can build both the area and all the triggers/lore pieces around it so miscommunications between level designer and programmer/lore team are nearly impossible to happen.
There is a category for maze of lost souls in moveuse so they did it simply with that interface, not losing track of anything in general

There is a category for maze of lost souls in moveuse so they did it simply with that interface, not losing track of anything in general

I meant drawing the tunnels. Seems to be drawn manually considering inconsistencies in tunnel styles.

We're all used to the map right now, and it doesn't have any mystery left, but can we take a moment and realize how brilliant the map design is? How every single creature on the classic map (Mainland, Ankrahmun/Darashia and Edron) is thoughtfully put in? How HUGE and complex the underground levels are? The maps from 1998 to 2005 just amaze me.

Many people think that a good map means how "beautiful" it is and how many details it contains. But your local farm in a modern MMORPG could be the most realistic local farm you've ever seen in a video game, but at the end of the day, it's just a freakin' farm and there's nothing special about it. There's no feeling or mystery attached to it.

Tibia have a "best" map design. Everything is connected to each other in genuine ways. Hard monsters roam near easy monsters, there is a deep underground level, there are a lot mazes, it's slow-pace, etc. And more often than not, you will get lost for a while and then enter a door that suddenly puts you way back at the beginning, mindblowing the hell out of you. I had this exact same feeling in Tibia back in the early days.

So, yeah... Knightmare was actually a genius and there is no doubt about that. The feeling is stronger than just a tolkien plagiary.
Rofl xd

I would guess it stands for "Raid Monster". But thats just a guess :)
Its random monster, if you go to this place on global you can see they change the monster spawn every time you kill, also they have that on gnomprona

In the 25th anniversary video we can see people using the "Creator" software. Here we can see the house "Shady Rocks 1" in Svargrond. House tiles are colored light blue. At first I thought it was ice, but those houses do not have ice floor hehe.

House: Shady Rocks 1 (https://tibia.fandom.com/wiki/Shady_Rocks_1)
Post automatically merged:

And here is another screenshot of their "Creator" software. In this second image we can see the "editor" part of it, where they can edit scripts/monsters or whatever. It's low quality on the video, but look closely just to the left of the big map (on the right).

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-05-20 01-27-57.png
    Screenshot from 2023-05-20 01-27-57.png
    407.8 KB · Views: 102 · VirusTotal
  • Screenshot from 2023-05-20 01-44-22.png
    Screenshot from 2023-05-20 01-44-22.png
    312.6 KB · Views: 102 · VirusTotal
Last edited:
No matter what tool we have, no matter how good the application is. It all depends on our imagination what the world will look like. When it comes to Knightmare, even though he was a nerd, he created such maps that we still wonder about the secrets in the old game world. Because it was a pure mind with an idea of its own, and not something like that. That's why, as a long-time mapper, I say openly that RL 7.4 is such a simple map (few objects to use) that you can't imagine it, but it was mainly about the idea, simple but atmospheric.

I just see myself having the biggest orgasm I have ever had in my life by looking at these pictures.

Funny that by looking at the path on the screenshot "C:\SVN\Tibia\Tibia_Content..." it looks that CipSoft is a company that still uses SVN for version control

EDIT: just read the interview and he said that they use it :p

Last edited:
The "GIMUD Editor" that they used is not the same as the one players would use back then to draw maps. That's kinda interesting. The editor they handed out had less features in the menu bar, compared to the one they seem to have used themselves. So they had two editors at one point I assume, or this is just the latest version of it.

I wonder how long they used the GIMUD Editor though. They mentioned they hired a guy named "Pyrate" in 2004 that would remake their map editor. Surely they did not use the "GIMUD Editor" until then? And it seems, according to their dates, the new map editor (Creator) was released in 2006. Because he mentioned "The Creator was born and has been in use for 17 years". So I assume it took around two years to build it.

There's no way in hell CipSoft used the "GIMUD Editor" from 1997-2006. That would be insane. I assume they made a new one when 7.0 was released. They must have had multiple versions throughout the years.

I wonder how long they used the GIMUD Editor though. They mentioned they hired a guy named "Pyrate" in 2004 that would remake their map editor. Surely they did not use the "GIMUD Editor" until then? And it seems, according to their dates, the new map editor (Creator) was released in 2006. Because he mentioned "The Creator was born and has been in use for 17 years". So I assume it took around two years to build it.
Judging by RealOTS tarball, many things were exported from a "tool", excluding NPCs due to some custom messages, and spacing here and there I suppose they took care of that later on and eventually merged the NPCs into the Creator. However, moveuse, monsters, houses, map and items were definitely exported from the Creator tool itself.

They also changed the map format in the late 2005 (7.55), from one similar to that used by the game protocol, to a fully text-based.

Back