• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Cities with RPG touch: Part I

Kuzyn

Excellent OT User
Solutions
Reaction score
Little introduction
Hey! Inspired by @Keal Atis in this topic I've found an old tutorial from 2008... [how to] create a good rpg city? by Karel. I would like to do something similar, up to date (however I will work on 10.98 protocol) and with some more examples. And yes, this tutorial aims at beginners.

What I mean by "RPG touch"?
Tibia and all Tibia-based servers/projects are just games. There is no point in trying to make everything as real as possible, maps needs to be playable and you need to remember that maps exist within specific environment and perspective. But still, we can add small details, giving our map a depth and story and making it more interesting. Cities are important part of the gameplay. They are "homes" for players and their characters. You can rest here, supply or sell/buy some gear. Probably you also make friends here or just socialize with others. That's why they need some extra "touch" to serve people well.

How to start?
Before starting work on a map, relax and think. What kind of city do I need for my players? A village, capital-main city of kingdom or a small port for adventurers on some unfriendly land? This will roughly tell you how much space do you need and what your city should has in terms of buildings and other places. Then you should think of environment, it would be really good to be consistent and keep some logic behind your design. So, what's the most important thing for civilization and humanity? I would say water, especially fresh and drinkable water. Of course Tibians don't need to drink water but I hope that you get my point of view on this. You should think of a water spring or a river going near or through your settlement, if you want to make it bigger than just few houses. We can't forget about wells (some of them are more than 10.000 years old!) but I think we can agree that in Tibia they are more like decorations rather than something necessary. Summarizing, my advice is to locate your settlement near some source of drinkable water. It will make your settlement more reasonable and will open for you a field of possibilities how to build around or along this water or maybe even use exemplary river and expand it to canals or as a source for a fountain. Ok, let's jump to buildings.

Part one: core buildings
Important note, following examples are not part of the same map/design. They're just suggestions not connected to each other :)

Temple
We are from different countries and cultures, we may be believers (or non believers) of different faiths, but somehow all of us call this building the same way - temple. It plays a big role in a life and within a settlement. Probably for all Tibia characters this is the first place they see in game and sadly they will keep seeing it on they journey ;)

Typical temple on OTServer looks like this:
1.png

It is very simple but doesn't look like a special building. You can feel like someone wants to tell you "just forget about it, you just need to respawn and move on, keep playing". But we are here to make it more RPGish, to add some climate. We can follow some real life patterns like churches and mosques or ancient/medieval sanctuaries, but we can also do something completely new. The main thoughts that should accompany us in creating the temple is that it is a very important building and probably one of the oldest. Maybe even someone serves here and takes care of the place.

What about this?
2.png

There is a center point for respawn, there are few columns and extra oblique walls to support the whole construction and some chairs/thrones to make us think that this is a place for people, they gather here and pray or sacrifice something. You can also think of cemetery which are often next to sacred buildings. Or maybe even a small garden with herbs which are grown by monks? :)
3.png

Deposit
One of the main buildings in Tibia cities. Everyone comes here to store their items, people also advertise their offers or just chill/rest and talk with others about recent events. Of course you can't forget about post office! You can also add a banker but this is totally up to you. Strong point of making seperate building with the only or second banker (if you put first one in a depot) is that you can arrange some quest in it or put inside or close to the bank a jeweler, creating a sense of uniqueness or wealth of the settlement district.
4.png

Shops?
This is a tricky one, there two problems: the meaning of shops and their location. Today lot of us live in big cities with huge shopping malls, we can find almost everything in one place and apart from some gastronomy, everything is manufactured outside these places. In the time period we are referring to (I mean something similar to "medieval fantasy") there were no big malls with many different shops, there were markets for the specific products or fairs e.g. once a week or month. You could also buy or order something at certain place of production. We can connect this with a "player friendly" solutions but we should avoid the situation when you can buy everything at one place, the situation known from Evo ots, in my opinion it kills the unique RPG feel of the ingame city.

So, shops should look like workshops! Or at least it would be nice if they do. Of course, you don't have to put them in random places around the city, they should be near the main roads or other important buildings like deposit or bank.

Ok, what kind of "workshops" should be in Tibia RPG city?

For sure we need a forge or armourer/blacksmith workshop. They need fireplace to craft equipment and an anvil. You can make for your worker some little storage with wood and coal, you can also put some metal things there.
5.png

Now we need some magician that also makes potions. Let's add some herbs nearby, distilling machine and some weird... magician stuff. You know, magic is a complicated topic so their machines and secrets should be complicated too ;)
6.png

As I said before, we can also build some markets, not only workshops. So let's put some buildings and market stands for basic stuff, like tools and food maybe? The butcher probably does some work with meat at his shop, so give him a place to do it. Most of the farmers live outside the city, they need to transport their goods, so put some carts or wagons near their stands.
7.png

At the end I will recycle my old map to show you another example of deposit (this one is smaller) together with a separate bank building.
8.gif

Thanks!
That's all for this part. Next one will focus on houses and other buildings that may be less important for some people, like library, furniture shop, tavern and few others :)

wow this look so good, specially the first depot, btw wouldn't it be cool to provide a small otbm with these examples (if they doesn't belong to any project of course)

wow this look so good, specially the first depot, btw wouldn't it be cool to provide a small otbm with these examples (if they doesn't belong to any project of course)
Hey, I will provide otbm with next part of tutorial.

Great tutorial, thanks for that!
I'm waiting for the next part :D

I am looking forward to the next part already. Can't wait to see what other thoughts you got.
I will definitly share my experience when you're done with all the chapters, so that I do not spoil your ideas but to synergize with them.
Or even just to see an additional point of view!

Keep it up! :)

Hey folks, thread is opened again due to my report (I didn't ask for lock) so I would like to explain this topic and answer questions. I know it's just a tutorial, but I spent my own time on creating this. As I said in report, if you (Admins&Mods) do not agree with me and with what I want to say, just answer below if you care instead of deleting this post :)

I don't want to do anything to spite anyone. I have decided that I want (and still want to) unpublish this tutorial from this forum. There are two reasons why I wanted to do this. One is the passive attitude of the Otland administration on the development of OpenTibia on many levels, and the other is the behavior of certain people from the staff towards users through a passive-aggressive attitude towards them. I know that the administration will not agree with me and it is their right, and mine is that I express this opinion. I regret publishing this tutorial here, I had thoughts not to do it, but well, it happened.

I am writing this statement also because the administration does not respect my copyright in relation to this tutorial and cites "Terms and rules" which are absurd to me. In addition, they refer to GDPR here, which is about personal data, and I'm talking all the time about my "work" that I did and that is the tutorial above, not my personal data. So the fact that my account will be deleted and the tutorial will have no author's name does not solve the case.

In the meantime, I decided that since the administration (moderators and administrators) does not want to fulfill my request, I am forced to delete photos that contain my ideas. I was accused privately that this is a sabotage but I thought it would be a good solution. However, I have been informed that against my will the photos have been restored from the cache save, and in my opinion it is theft. I decided to delete MY photos and they have been restored.

I would also like to correct the information from my main and second post, I will not publish the continuation of this tutorial on this forum and provide examples (if they appear here, it will be against my will).

I would also like to warn all other users. If you are not sure if you want to publish something original, then do not do it because the administration thinks that it may claim the right to keep such works on the forum.

Hey folks, thread is opened again due to my report (I didn't ask for lock) so I would like to explain this topic and answer questions. I know it's just a tutorial, but I spent my own time on creating this. As I said in report, if you (Admins&Mods) do not agree with me and with what I want to say, just answer below if you care instead of deleting this post :)

I don't want to do anything to spite anyone. I have decided that I want (and still want to) unpublish this tutorial from this forum. There are two reasons why I wanted to do this. One is the passive attitude of the Otland administration on the development of OpenTibia on many levels, and the other is the behavior of certain people from the staff towards users through a passive-aggressive attitude towards them. I know that the administration will not agree with me and it is their right, and mine is that I express this opinion. I regret publishing this tutorial here, I had thoughts not to do it, but well, it happened.

I am writing this statement also because the administration does not respect my copyright in relation to this tutorial and cites "Terms and rules" which are absurd to me. In addition, they refer to GDPR here, which is about personal data, and I'm talking all the time about my "work" that I did and that is the tutorial above, not my personal data. So the fact that my account will be deleted and the tutorial will have no author's name does not solve the case.

In the meantime, I decided that since the administration (moderators and administrators) does not want to fulfill my request, I am forced to delete photos that contain my ideas. I was accused privately that this is a sabotage but I thought it would be a good solution. However, I have been informed that against my will the photos have been restored from the cache save, and in my opinion it is theft. I decided to delete MY photos and they have been restored.

I would also like to correct the information from my main and second post, I will not publish the continuation of this tutorial on this forum and provide examples (if they appear here, it will be against my will).

I would also like to warn all other users. If you are not sure if you want to publish something original, then do not do it because the administration thinks that it may claim the right to keep such works on the forum.
The terms are really standard, if you google them you can notice they are used all over the internet. If I would throw a fit over things like that I would familiarize myself with rules before claiming them non-sense, so I could avoid being cornered into calling usual internet pratices an "abusurd". No idea what sort of beef you had with the staff, but it's probably bad, since made you put soo much effort into having your content removed and let crying a river after not being allowed to do so.

May be worth noting that the users who benefit from this tutorial of yours are not the admins, staff or individual users you have an issue with.

It's a good tutorial, and those of us who learned from it are thankful (me included!).

Your attitude is quite toxic, you should be proud of your work and not try to spite everyone over it because of a few internet beefs. Chill bro.

Back