• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Creating a Rookgaard map. What is your idea?

johandexter

Reaction score
So i was just wondering what you guys would think of a rookgaard map that is remapped. A map where we have casual mid exp rate, remapped with houses in town and shops.

The underground rat cave/troll cave/orc cave/wasp area switched out with other monsters such as dragons,hero,dls,rotworms etc.

So basically uppdating rookgaard so it's like a normal map with quests etc. Changing out the "spike Sword quest" to something like magic sword quest or copper shield quest to something else.

Do you guys think people would play on such a map? or is it to much? What is your view on this.

It'd be a small server but I think you could remake it so that you can expand further after you've finished what's already there.

I think there are many thematically interesting quest-like areas that you can work with.

• Salomon spawn far into the tunnel system
  • Orc cave with the small axe which can be exchanged for pick, later used in the mino room (I don't think you should sell it in shop)
  • Mino mage
  • The skeleton cemetery/tomb (it's underground, right?) far north west
  • Copper shield quest (maybe the dragon could still be alive)
  • Ghoul room
  • The mysterious mage in the tower
  • Orc language
  • The maze down to Mino hell
  • Bugs infesting the crops outside town
  • The deep rotworm mine or whatever it is far west on the map
  • Orcs and trolls fighting for control over the land
  • Bear and wolf dens (add quest NPC Mowgli :cool:)
The server would feel more nostalgic on older versions (for example early versions of 7.x had a ground level bridge to the north western parts rather than the mountain bridge), but newer versions would offer some more quest items like collecting creature products for outfits etc.

I don't think you should upscale the levels too much though. Keep it rather low because the map is not scaled for level 100+ running around the place.

If you want the server could start in a normal rookgaard, with a level 8 char and no vocation. The player then talk to the oracle and picks voc etc and is then teleported to some weird void place (kind of like Plains of Havoc) and then walks out into some kind of distorted rookgaard. Like you entered an alternative universe Rook or w/e. :D

Really good input. I made a rookgaard server a couple of years ago. i added some extra spawns like frost dragons and a really big cave that stretches from north troll tower to south troll tower..
So would you guys prefer this kind of map with
low exp/mid exp/high exp..
Furthermore do you guys think people will play on it?

I would probably prefer a lowrate rpg-ish server, but I might not be representative of all Tibia players because basically only played rookgaard in old version of rl tibia and oldskool ots for like 10 years.

It might also work to treat the rookmap kind of like a pseudo hub map (like this tp ots) because it's so small and takes little time to walk around. I think it would play best as a non-pvp rpg server. Which client version are you thinking of using? Most current version or one of the classic older versions (7.6, 8.0, 8,6 etc)?

I was thinking of making it 8.6+ since there is more room for improvements there when it comes to quests items and so on. I believe that this kind of server has to be a low exp server, yet i do not want the begining players to feel that it is to hard to exp. Since its something quite new people who tend to jump in on these kind of servers lose their interest if its to hard to exp.
I was thinking that up to level 45 it should be relatively easy, after that comes the hard part, the 2x-3x exp.

Regarding the teleports i believe that having teleports in town would just remove the "adventure" part of the map. Since it is a oldschool map and people pretty much know where everything is, they will most likely go discover what we have changed in this map. For instance copper shield quest or skeleton cemetery or mage tower.
What you could to is add teleports around the map that takes you to another spawn. It still keeps the "adventure" part in and the whole exploring part in tact aswell.

would you agree on it?

I don't think you should put teleports around the map, but using Rookgaard as the base of your map makes it much more compact than Mainland, similarly to a hub world with tps. If you walk from Orc Tower to Spider Cave to Troll Tower in Rookgaard that is much shorter than if you walk between three hunting spots in a Mainland city.

You definitely shouldn't remove the adventure feeling. I think a server like this would play kind of like a single player-ish game like Diablo 2 in the sense that the "acts" are pretty well-defined before hand – you know that your character will travel between each of the classic Rook locations to find out what has changed and that it will progressively become harder (bugs, trolls) and harder (orcs, minos) and harder (ghouls, rotworms) before you reach the final boss (mino mage).

Imagine the start that I suggested. Player logs in as a level 8 character next to the Oracle. Instead of being teleported to your Mainland city of choice you are teleported to the void, slightly larger than the one in PoH.

latest

Instead of having a teleporter to exit you find Cipfried (or w/e his name is) at the end of the tunnel and he explains shortly that something went wrong and you must save rookgaard. You then return to Rook temple as the vocation of your choice. Maybe you got stuck in limbo and years past in the real world while you were gone etc.

Actually not a bad idea. You kind of walk in the void on 1 tile and at the end of the line someone explains that something went terribly wront with rookgaard since dawnport was created. And that they have to save rookgaard from being destroyed or what not. And the npc explains that everything is the same except there are more nasty monsters out there and they should be carefull. And they walk into the teleport and are teleported to Rookgaard.

Thus the final and big question. This whole project is not alot of work which is good since people lose intrest in projects fast.
Can this idea be pulled of? And will it work
there will be new spawns added on map to make it bigger,
The premium area can either be changed to a vip area or just making it another part to hunt

I could probably help with something if you decide to try.

Thank you that would be nice. Im not sure yet if im going to start it. But from your honest oppinion do you think that people would play on a server like this? since the norm is rl map

No idea man. I played tibia and ots for 10+ years and I never played anything over verison 7.x. This is the kind of server that could make me try though.

Came to think of another interesting thing about Rookgaard. Wasn't there a cave in the north western parts where you could see the edge of the map? Like you had the cave floor, then the wall to the left and then a few tiles of that brown tile that goes around all caves. On the last 1-2 sqm to the left it was just black though.

Could be incorporated into the whole void lore/story.

@Artis I was under the impression that we're talking about a customized map based on Rook Cipsoft (Knightmare version, not sure how it looks now with Dawnport etc).

Basically cipsoft rookgaard, that is customnized. different quests monsters, new hunting spots and remapping the city a bit

So i did a mere scetch of how i plan its going to look. I do not want the city to change to much, i still want people to feel like the recognise the rookgaard. So this is just something basic. Do you guys think it should be more detail,more crowded different roads or something?

What i did here is add houses change roads and add a depot.

Attachments

If you want to keep the atmosphere of Rookgaard I don't think you should change the house layout too much, like replacing the crops with big mansions. Many of the existing shops have unused upper floors and backrooms (of which many are probably meant to look like the NPCs homes and filler houses) that could be used for housing, as well as some well-placed new houses out in the wilderness.

And some of the new graphics look kinda meh in my opinion. The old and "bad" graphics are much more nostalgic to me (e.g the mud floor).

Here is a picture where i added some extra area to add a house. If you look at picture 4 you can see the npc "house" The reason why i didn't add a house there was because it would only be one house. So i added a extra picture to show what you can see uppstarirs.
I feel like anything that doens't exactly serve a purpse can be changed out, for instance the wheat field or the library. Wouldn't you agree?

Attachments

Back