• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Dezell's Thread

I don't understand what's going on here, are you posting from 2 different accounts or are you two guys working together or something? :p

Some of these sprites look like they could fit 7.4 tibia perfectly, but I guess that's not what you are striving for, is it? :p

The best shading I could detect is in this sprite:
sword-png.23144
which could be very good if you just fix this white space with red dot in the middle of it which looks very bland, unshaded and unnecessary.

I can also see that you used some other tools except pencil tool on the armor and legs? Don't do that, you can do that when you get more experience, but for now drop it because it will just make your sprites look blurry and undefined.

sword2-png.23147
- this sword has a very peculiar shape, but other than that, the skull could use a bit more shading (darker grey on some spots), and the blade should either be thicker, or shaded in a different manner (with a light line on the left side)

The best and most normal sprite out of all those here would probably be that scythe (which, I see, you used a lot of brush creating).

In conclusion, you have no problem with different shapes and EQ types, but you need to learn how to use shading better, and how to use pixels instead of brush. I highly suggesting the following: When making a sprite, take a sprite made by some other artist (that you think looks good, and is similar to what you want to make), and use their color palletes because better artists already have good color palletes and it will save you a lot of trouble of creating them by yourself.

Looking forward to see more, try creating an axe :)

Namnlös6.png
Tried to do an axe. I think it went so so xD

The axe looks ok for your second try but start to think about some things.
if you want it to look like it has more depth, texturizing you have to focus on making better shadows. The handle is just one color where it could be like 3colors(1shadow, 1midtone, 1highlight). And please see my comment in Noxiz thread if you need to understand what pillow shading is. You need to make something about the blade bcs its not adapted to light source and makes it very plain.

Hey mate, nice to see you're making more sprites. I'm trying to help everyone today so i'll make you no exception by taking an in-depth review of your new axe.

So, to be honest, it's currently in a pretty bad shape, both color and shape-wise. But i'll help you try to gain some insight on how to make it better. I hope you'll learn something from this:

Let's first take a look at the gem on the bottom part (I'm assuming it's a gem):
06ac63008f.png

It has a generic gem shape, which is totally okay, but the shading is almost non-existent. When shading, you need 3-6 varieties of the color, ranging from very light ones to very dark ones. Here you have 2 different tones at best, others can hardly be distinguished.
So let's take your color pallete here and refine it with better range of tones:

6a4154250d.png

Now let's remember that gems and shiny objects have a rather particular way of shading to them. At least i found out it works the best that way. So how do you shade a gem?

1. You fill the whole shape with dark color
2. Make a little circle-like object out of highlight color on the top left part of the gem.
3. Make the similar kind of shape out of the regular color on the bottom right part of the gem.
4. Color around those 2 shapes with the 3rd darkest tone

946d1b5891.png
9717be1fdb.png
9a734af323.png
fe3b08b12f.png

Very very simple, isn't it? And you get something like this:
e2bf7ffbe0.png

So if we apply these rules to your gem, we'll get this:

5250d9ffd4.png

cdaec4f2d4.png

Now let's take a look at the handle. It's basically a diagonal stick filled with absolutely yellow color. Once again, I encounter a beginner using yellow. If you saw any of my other "tutorials", you could have noticed that I hate this color. Here's what I just said to Thorn:

First of all, and remember this, avoid using yellow color for anything else than details. That color is a natural highlight and it's hard to achieve good-looking results with it if you aren't very experienced. If you try to shade the yellow color properly, you may get something like gold or copper, but it won't stay yellow - and it shouldn't, that color is just horrible generally.

In your case, let's make this handle kinda wooden? That would be nice.
We need the pallete of colors for wood, so I'll use this one that I have from long ago and turn your yellow handle into wood:

9d8a635c87.png

So we're going to:
1. Fill the handle with the 2nd darkest color, and color the farthest line to the right with the darkest color.
2. Make little triangles with the lighter color every 2 px.
3. Fill the center line with the lightest color on the pixels between the 'triangles'
caeb1f480a.png
0c3915b4c0.png
32cc88e1ec.png

And we get something like this:

189769ba81.png

And finally, we come to the blade, which I find is the thing most beginners struggle with.
In this case, this 'axe' has a rather peculiar shape, but we'll try to make something of it.

Let's fill the blade with the 2nd to darkest shade:

1bf301f139.png

What you need to remember is - the blade will most likely always look good if the edge (where it's sharp) is very bright, and the body of the blade is semi-light or even dark. We'll go with that second variant here. Let's mark the places where it's sharp with the lightest color:

5af7a45ba3.png

Now we need to darken the lower parts of it and introduce a few layers of lighter colors (prominently on the left side of the axe - where the light comes from):

f18e37052f.png

Now just take the semi-dark tone (middle grey) and use it in a combination with different shades to fill this "black" empty space in the middle with some kind of random details, so that it doesn't look so plain. After that, on the very edges, emphasise the blades by highlighting them with the lightest color (white):

60f053cbc2.png

And this is what we get:

fb602a3846.png

Now, keep in mind that you should probably make some more details for it, as the handle looks very simple and straight. You can experiment afterwards, but I believe these are the fundamental basics that you should know to help you make more awesome sprites!

Keep working and posting :]

Thank you! When i get home i will try to do this on a club and post it!

i like it! but the bottom part is kinda weird, don't you think? the handle

I made a sceptre looking weapon. At first i was going to make a club but i got carried away :D

Namnlös10.png

Thanks for the advice :), We're just friends me and Dezell
Edit: by the way we both use Paint but we wonder if there are any other software other than Photoshop which are exclusively for Pixel-art? :)

Thanks for the advice :), We're just friends me and Dezell
Edit: by the way we both use Paint but we wonder if there are any other software other than Photoshop which are exclusively for Pixel-art? :)

There are some programs that were created for easily making pixel art, but seriously photoshop is awesome for it - you can also try GIMP, or some others that you can find links to here.

Back