• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Distance attacks are blocked by shield.

Peonso

Godly Member
Solutions
Reaction score
I'm having problems with Celestia Server, people have been complaining that my mosnters are too strong and spam too much. They are based on leaked 7.7 files, and the consistency verified through watching a series of old TibiCam files. One of the problems is that people got used to nerfed monster packs with monsters that do nothing for too long, the second problem is a wrong mechanic regarding OT's behaviors. Ranged attacks were not being blocked by shield, and despite wrong information spread by the community (by me also), ranged attacks should be blocked by shield. Here is the proof. 2 old cams from 7.4 (2005).

The facts. Amazons should have 10% chance to attack with throwing knife each second, damage in the range of 20-30. When damage is blocked by shield you see the infamous "puff", when it's blocked by armor (that is applied after shield) you see the "spark", if the hit misses there is no animation.

1st video. Level 18 knight, shielding 55, shield def 32, total armor 24. 24 armor should block from 11 to 22 damage. In the video the knight totally ignore damage, either melee or ranged, from amazons and valkyries. You can clearly see ranged attacks being "puffed". He advance on shielding skill through a throwing knife hit.

2nd video. Level 20 paladin, using bow, total armor 27. 27 armor should reduce hits by a minimum amount of 13 and maximum 25. Still the paladin is hitted by nearby every fucking ranged hit.

Shield blocking ranged damage was never implemented in any otserver. Why? From where this tale that ranged attacks are ignore by shielding comes from?

Last edited:
I'm having problems with Celestia Server, people have been complaining that my mosnters are too strong and spam too much. They are based on leaked 7.7 files, and the consistency verified through watching a series of old TibiCam files. One of the problems is that people got used to nerfed monster packs with monsters that do nothing for too long, the second problem is a wrong mechanic regarding OT's behaviors. Ranged attacks were not being blocked by shield, and despite wrong information spread by the community (by me also), ranged attacks should be blocked by shield. Here is the proof. 2 old cams from 7.4 (2005).

The facts. Amazons should have 10% chance to attack with throwing knife each second, damage in the range of 20-30. When damage is blocked by shield you see the infamous "puff", when it's blocked by armor (that is applied after shield) you see the "spark", if the hit misses there is no animation.

1st video. Level 18 knight, shielding 55, shield def 32, total armor 24. 24 armor should block from 11 to 22 damage. In the video the knight totally ignore damage, either melee or ranged, from amazons and valkyries. You can clearly see ranged attacks being "puffed".

2nd video. Level 20 paladin, using bow, total armor 27. 27 armor should reduce hits by a minimum amount of 13 and maximum 25. Still the paladin is hitted by nearby every fucking ranged hit.

Shield blocking ranged damage was never implemented in any otserver. Why? From where this tale that ranged attacks are ignore by shielding comes from?

The damage from ranged attacks ignores shielding, meaning that shielding will not reduce any damage. It's still possible to get poffed on however, if the damage is to be 0 after the reduction by armor. It's not that the shield won't make the ranged attack poff at 0 damage, it just doesn't count in the reduction of damage.

Atleast, that's how I remember it, could be mistaken ofcourse.

The damage from ranged attacks ignores shielding, meaning that shielding will not reduce any damage. It's still possible to get poffed on however, if the damage is to be 0 after the reduction by armor. It's not that the shield won't make the ranged attack poff at 0 damage, it just doesn't count in the reduction of damage.

You remember it wrong, watch the videos. You also can't "poff" without a shield, if you damage is reduced by armor you get a "spark".

You remember it wrong, watch the videos. You also can't "poff" without a shield, if you damage is reduced by armor you get a "spark".

I never stated you could poff without a shield, yet there's still a difference between shielding counting as damage reduction and having a shield to have a poff show up.

Either way, shielding never counted as damage reduction for distance attacks. Every site and damage calculator states the same, not sure what made you doubt it except for this movie (which still doesn't prove that shielding reduces ranged damage, if you wanted that to be tested you shouldve had a movie of someone with just a shield and see if damage got reduced).

I asked someone to have a look and he confirmed.
In the first recording at 9 min 30, the knight goes up % in shielding after spark hit from an amazon's throwing knife. It proves shields blocked distance, at least from creatures. Well found! :)

This always worked, you could train with a paladin/knight combo and still advance in shielding. The point is not wether or not shielding goes up or not, it's about shield(ing) reducing damage caused by distance attacks, which it shouldn't.

It does make sense at least, and that's how I remember it was, explained by Dagor (Dragontooth), one of the earlier players on Antica. I'm pretty sure he helped creating the first calculators for Tibia, but many of those resources are lost.

Welcome to the world of programming where we test shit.. and pull our hair out!! :)

At
https://github.com/TwistedScorpio/O...8cad3317c13bf8d86485/source/monsters.cpp#L441
https://github.com/otland/forgotten...cc5c941869fe5c2b27c903f/src/monsters.cpp#L437
Add this:
Code:
    if ((attr = node.attribute("checkshield"))) {
      combat->setParam(COMBAT_PARAM_BLOCKSHIELD, 1);
     }
And just add to monsters attacks you want to be blocked by shield checkshield="1" like this one:
Code:
    <attack name="physical" checkshield="1" interval="1000" chance="50" range="7" min="-50" max="-100">
        <attribute key="shootEffect" value="arrow"/>
    </attack>
@GOD Wille

Back