• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Drisius' Map(ping and Mapping Accessories)

Dries390

Solutions
Reaction score
I've been revisiting my map recently while working on Remere extensions and I thought some people might like this concept. I present The Dream (patent pending), a zone that is procedurally generated on server startup.

theDream1.png

A seemingly abandoned farmhouse seems to harbor a portal to a much more interesting place.

theDream2.png

Virgil, the guardian of this strange place, wanders nearby...

theDream3.png

A place where all logic seems to go straight out the window.

theDream4.png

The edge of the Dream.

theDream5.png
Post automatically merged:

A roadsign to Rahahet, except it seems to be ... slightly off.

theDream6.png

A door?

theDream7.png

This looks like Gallywain, the first town you visit on your adventures, but different.

theDream8.png

This tavern used to be a lot more cheerful...

theDream9.png

A bed, wonder where this one leads?

theDream10.png

Seems like we're back in normal Gallywain, what a convenient way to travel. If you know how!

theDream11.png

Non-dream Gallywain for reference.

theDream12.png

The map and door locations reset when the server is restarted.

theDream13.pngtheDream14.png

Trip
Hey, maybe you'll like this as i made it one day, sorry for quality, one day i'll fix this:
It is jungle trip when you lick a toad, eat poisonous soup etc. i also made as you some mixage of contrasting elements and i think it may inspire you a little, as for sure your dream part lacks of bit ground borders

Trip
Hey, maybe you'll like this as i made it one day, sorry for quality, one day i'll fix this:
It is jungle trip when you lick a toad, eat poisonous soup etc. i also made as you some mixage of contrasting elements and i think it may inspire you a little, as for sure your dream part lacks of bit ground borders
Very cool concept, watched it multiple times and I'll definitly keep it saved somewhere!

it kinda seems like we're just looking at empty ground for the most part here 🤔🤔🤔
Yeah, it was more an exercise of seeing if I could procedurally generate a zone in any consistent fashion; could probably use a bit more detail, which I'll definitly look into in the future. I'm currently writing new functions for bordering in Remere, I could probably recycle those once they're done.

I went back and added some basic tiling + bordering and I think it looks much more finished now. It still tends to randomly generate rather large empty spots but I'm sure fiddling with the parameters will fix this.

Attachments

Much of this stuff is procedurally generated though (everything with purple tiles) meaning I actually had very little (nothing) to do with it.

The other stuff, like most of my map, needs detailing. I'm currently trying to get Remere's to automatically do "hand-crafted" borders and then I'll probably go back and really try and put in the level of detail I want, I just loosely laid down big portions of the land to work on during the pandemic and see where what was going to be.

@Neon is still leagues ahead of me, he has nothing to fear lol, but thanks for the compliments.

I was going to show something I had actually made (mostly) by hand, a very neat idea I find personally. Looking back at it however, the clash of new sandstone textures just kind of makes me want to puke. The picture I added illustrates what I mean; That's supposed to be ~3 floors or so (can't even tell) and everything just seems to melt together to form an incoherent mess.

Attachments

• sandstoneTextures.PNG
    sandstoneTextures.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 24 · VirusTotal
Last edited:
I have another update for the people who are interested; Introducing the Belamm Swamps!

After the Dream Zone I was wondering whether another procedurally generated zone was possible. I vaguely remember reading that an entirely procedurally generated zone (and I want several) would be very harsh on the server. So I created a "base" island, which is fully decorated, which can then be populated with monsters/encounters when the player enters. The zone is divided into different zones (which are fairly square but the functions and structures are generic enough that they don't have to be). On player entry, a path is generated through the swamp and various monsters/quests/NPCs/bosses are spawned. It was meant as a fairly challenging (but safe! You cannot die because the randomness could screw you over beyond what you might reasonably expect) zone for lower level players. Various items are dropped/spawned e.g. juicy roots and swamp grass, which can be easily collected and sold to the npc near the beginning. There's even a quest to create a magical staff to return you to him to encourage players to run through the swamp and experience all the encounters.

And hey, Wyda lives here!

Some more pictures showcasing one of the NPCs, Wyda's house and a hunter+deer encounter where you choose who survives.

Attachments

Last edited:
Back