• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Compiling Error? anyone can give me step by step help?

dchampag

Reaction score
I am awful in linux and I am sick of crashes and bullcrap with windows so I am trying to compile and keep getting this error.

due to my extreme lack of understanding in the linux core environment it would really help if the help that you guys give me is detailed and explains the steps in detail I already have figured out how to navigate to the directories and have all the libraries installed and what not.

Attachments

Exactly how will switching to Linux help you against OTServ crashes?
The server crashes not because Windows crashed it, but because something in the server caught a snag bad enough to interrupt the entire program.

As for the errors you're getting... Please post the entire error message in a codebox.

I don't know how to copy the error code but that is the entire error code and from my understanding Linux is more stable with tfs programming. I assumed the crashes were because of that too but the server I'm working with doesnt have enough to it to snag

The main reason people use Linux is because it consumes less resources, is more configurable than Windows, and also have a much bigger toolkit (such as IP tables).
However if you have no clue what you're doing, then Linux is generally a bad choice because you will most likely end up screwing things up, create vulnerabilities, etc.

I'd not reccommend setting up a server using Linux as the host OS before you have at least intermediary grasp on how to manage Linux correctly, including IP tables and bash.

As for copying the error code... just select and copy it like you would any other text.

then what is your suggestion on the crashes if I shouldn't use linux? Because in my previous years doing servers before I quit the first time this is the same issue I was having is with crashing with no error to the crash or anything like that, I've tryed removing all events still crashes, I've tryed reducing map size, changing maps, little bit of everything and it still crashes.

then what is your suggestion on the crashes if I shouldn't use linux? Because in my previous years doing servers before I quit the first time this is the same issue I was having is with crashing with no error to the crash or anything like that, I've tryed removing all events still crashes, I've tryed reducing map size, changing maps, little bit of everything and it still crashes.

You could try event log for details about the crash. You could also write a .bat script that would restart the server the moment it crashes, this would also enable you to see the last message output by the server before crashing.
Also I'm not saying you should never ever use Linux, I'm just saying that if you are intent on using Linux, you should learn about it and get a good grasp of it first, or you will end up getting screwed over one way or another.

Already have that that's how I know there are no errors... Already set up.bat that actually create a log of the console. The event log just says that the server blah blah unusual way

- - - Updated - - -

But I am good with windows server operating system like I don't use xampp and crappy stuff like that I actually set up iis properly with php and ion cube loader so if Linux won't fix it I won't bother but everything I've looked up says you get better uptimes with linux

Last edited:
It is true that you technically get overall "better uptime" when comparing Windows and Linux, mainly because of Windows Updates, driver issues, and various apphangs which is harder to diagnose for Windows professionals than they are to diagnose for Linux professionals.
However keep in mind that this is only true when the person running the server knows what he's doing and have experience (or a degree in) working with Linux. If the person running the server have little to no Linux experience, he will actually have LESS overall uptime and performance than Windows because he doesn't know how to set everything up correctly.
Take IP tables for example, they can be used to negate certain DOS/DDOS attacks, but if you don't have experience with Linux you won't know how to do it and end up being stuck having to wait out the DOS/DDOS... Or worse, try messing with IP tables and screw up so badly you end up blocking ALL connections to the server, including your own SSH.

As for the crash issue... "Terminated in an unusual way" implies either an issue with the source code, or that a script is badly coded. You'd be surprised how fragile OT servers are when it comes to badly coded scripts.

Yeah well I figured as much on the script thing... Removed all scripts unnecessary for players to play the game and still crash but there are also a lot of scripts I didn't do myself here that I'm still changing so I guess hopefully it gets better then, but I don't know anything about c++ I did a few classes In Visual Basic so I'm sure I can teach myself in due time like I have with everything else but with that said do you know of a stable 8.6 distro that does not crash on its own while players are in that I can convert my stuff too then see if its the sources or scripts

Most of the time the script which crashes you is not a script which is "unnecessary for players". It's usually a script belonging to an item, npc or object which players occasionally use, such as a quest-only lever.
One option for debugging would be to edit all your current scripts and insert a line at the top which prints "ScriptName.lua has executed" to the console whenever that particular script is run.
It will mean tons of spam in your console window, sure, but once the server crashes you'll be able to see what script ran last, and that is most likely the script responsible for the crash.

Alright yeah I might just do that thanks for the tip I gotta do something it's killing our players we grew to a constant 60 players + then people started crashing the server to dupe and crap and now since then now crashes occur occasionally not even from a person doing it, what is you recommend is best? We are using windows server 2008 64 but you think server 2003 32 bit work better?

Unless you're hosting on a really old/low-spec server, 2008 is better due to improved security and more features.

Well were testing server 2003 now just to see if we get anything on it it's on a home network anyways and not dmz only the ports necessary are forwarded

And it's an older distro so I don't know thought maybe it would act better more around its time xD,

What do you recommend for an 8.6 server?

Actually when I said "old/low-spec server" I was talking about the actual physical server, not the distro. :p

Basically if your server computer has less or equal to 1GB of ram, or the processor has only 1 core, Windows Server 2003 is a better choice.
If you have more than 1GB of ram and have a processor with multiple cores (or multiple processors), Windows Server 2008 is a better choice.

Ha I understood what you were talking about, but my question was if the distro it self is old would it not perform better on a system of it's time?

and do you have an aswer to my second question?

What do you recommend for an 8.6 server? as in What distro you think is best for windows 8.6?

The only real difference between NT5.1/5.2 (Windows XP/2003) and NT6.1/6.2 (Windows Vista/7/2008/2008R2) is a different executable-privilege system and a different folder structure for users and program data, as well as the included software/tools and various under-the-hood changes/optimizations. It doesn't really matter which OS you host it on, unless the OT Server is compiled to act differently depending on OS version (which I doubt).

Personally I'd recommend Windows 2008 because of the increased security and tools available.

yeah I really like 2008, i opened a test server on a 2003 system though to see how it reacts, and on 2008, it runs at 1.1 gig memory without players, and 2003 it runs at 300mb without players, is that just because the server is reserving that memory on 2008? or why is it that it's different?

That seems really, really weird. Is that the OT server process memory usage, or just memory usage of the entire system?

Just the OT Server process

I considered that maybe this is just because it's a 32 bit operating system as opposed to 64 bit so it maybe is making better use of the page file?

Back