• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Compiling Error? anyone can give me step by step help?

dchampag

Reaction score
I am awful in linux and I am sick of crashes and bullcrap with windows so I am trying to compile and keep getting this error.

due to my extreme lack of understanding in the linux core environment it would really help if the help that you guys give me is detailed and explains the steps in detail I already have figured out how to navigate to the directories and have all the libraries installed and what not.

Attachments

A small piece of advice on the crashes, enable windows crash dumps... That way you can debug locally. If you compiled yourself for windows you should be able to find the exact line of code which caused the crash, and isolate it.

The memory usage is different on 32 and 64 bit for various reasons. The main factor being that 32 bit windows can't handle much RAM, so it is much more resourceful with storage and less resourceful with rewrites. So when you start up the server and it loads up all the creatures, map, and other shit, it might drop some of the stored data temporarily to hard disc, until it needs to use it again. 64 bit will dump as much as possible straight into RAM (providing the memory is available) in order to increase performance. I'd always recommend using a 64 bit server where possible.

Well the problem with higher ram usage is that the server itself is 32 bit and I dont know anything about c++ so compiling it in 64 bit is a bit difficult XD

I am using MySQL right from the mysql website

MySQL :: MySQL Downloads (Generally Available)

I asked because while MySQL data is fetched from a separate process, MySQLite/SQLite (or as I tend to accidentally call it, MySQLI) is fetched from a file which is in most cases read directly into the memory, increasing the RAM usage by quite a bit.

Are you sure both installations have the exact same OT server, in the exact same state?
Because differences in the number of scripts, map, or even users online has an impact on the RAM usage.

The memory usage is different on 32 and 64 bit for various reasons. The main factor being that 32 bit windows can't handle much RAM, so it is much more resourceful with storage and less resourceful with rewrites. So when you start up the server and it loads up all the creatures, map, and other shit, it might drop some of the stored data temporarily to hard disc, until it needs to use it again. 64 bit will dump as much as possible straight into RAM (providing the memory is available) in order to increase performance. I'd always recommend using a 64 bit server where possible.

The OS dumping data into the page file would have exactly zero impact on the memory used by a specific process. Such memory management is handled transparently, and in most cases the application would have zero awareness that a particular memory address resides in the page file rather than on the RAM (unless the programmer chooses to do some very specific OS API calls to find out, for whatever reason).

I'm positive the Server application, scripts, map, all are exactly the same

But I Believe it is as Xtrm said, it's the management of 32 bit vs 64 bit, so it's not because it's 2003, but because it's 32 bit

Which memory isn't an issue I have available 8 gigs of ram if I need it, but I need to know how to compile 64 bit =d

Back