• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Evolutions!

messenoire

Reaction score
What's up dudes,

I used to host an Evo server back in 2009, it really was a lot of fun. Now, almost 7 years later I'm considering making one again.
Problem is, I don't really know what approach to take. The only thing I know that I don't want it to be generic and same as every other Evo server out there. Maybe not drastically different, full blown custom but I'd like to do a few things differently.

Anyway, before I even start I'd like to ask you some questions regarding this type of OTServers.
  • Client version? I guess we had enough 8.60 servers and 8.10 is just too old. Or is it? I don't know. Which protocol you think Evolutions works best with?
  • The map. Open world? Just the city and teleports? Or something more like Diablo, where you have single areas which are connected to each other?
  • How much custom is too much custom? I was thinking about readjusting everything. Example: Monsters would get new HP values, new combat strategies, new loot etc. Or is it going too far? Perhaps a few new items is enough?
  • Rates, could a rather low rated Evo server even work?
  • Any other things you'd like to see? Thoughts, tips?

Thanks in advance!

Client: The later, the greater
The map: meh, custom, tps are cool, but everything doesn't need to be accessible, but IK that won't be the case if you can't decide between 8.6 (pure bot/download n run) vs 10.x (updated, still bottable, but requires actual work)
Custom: People don't like change / things they don't understand. HP/attacks/loot is nothing drastic
Rates: Yes low rates can work
Tips: Go through these forums and see the many failed projects. If it's not something YOU want to do, screw it

I didn't entirely understand what you wrote about the map, could you maybe clarify a bit? Other than that, thank you for your input.

By the way, I'll most probably go for 10.xx, I just wanted to know if it's cool or if people like to play the Evo map on older protocols.

Back