• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Falarion's First Try on a RPG Themed Map - 8.6

Falarion

Casually Roaming The OT-Lands
Reaction score
Heya!
This is, well, my first serious try on a RPG Map and also the second map I have ever done on a client above 7.6.
Here's a hunting area/quest I made in about 6 hours, perhaps a little more, not sure :huh:
It will perhaps be used in the New Project "Valendor RPG" whom Limos and ForsakenFate is working on.

Okay, Tiny Pic worked out great... I agree that Image Shack really sucks, didnt let me use the IMG function, simply said the link was invalid XF
Anyhow: A little Fewer Pics now instead, to make em fit xF
Entrance
ixbdyq.png

Cave - Floor 1 - Slimes, Poison Spiders, Tarantulas, Snakes, Scorpions
xood1t.png

Cave - Floor 2 - Poison Spiders, Tarantulas and Giant Spiders
10qcbqo.png

16a1rlz.png

Cave - Floor 3 - Bog Raiders and Giant Spiders
15qukux.png

<Teleporter will only be accessed by pressing one of those cobra statues that spit out green smoke>
245hbip.png

1znbhvk.png

10dazpg.png

~The Cave goes deeper and turns out to be a little like Banuta~
But I think I can start with this and Revamp it with your help!
--------------------------------------------------------------
I will greatly appreciate Constructive critisizm!
IE:
- What can I put instead of certain things?
- What other details can I use?

Don't just Flame, I only upload this because I want to become alot better at mapping, so help is what I seek, basically!

Give me a Rating and your personal opinion!
Cheers!
/Falarion

Last edited:
Can you rather post it on here? not on another site.. Way to to do it: Upload a picture to tinypic.com or other sites, and copy the forum/board link after you upload it..

I agree with Dark199, post the pictures here.
When I went to that site, I got spammed with ads and shit.

Fuckin' hate Imageshack.

~Bump~
So that you know I uploaded em :p

Some more Pictures, but of the very small underground "town".
+ Passage to the Dungeon.
Town/Shop Area
2dacbpw.png

Houses!
2h5qwi8.png

More Houses!
dhfzbn.png

Graveyard and Broken Down Temple
24mrwhg.png

Passage 1/2
r85mbs.png

Passage 2/2
nxpesi.png

Tell me what you think and what I can do to make it better!
Thanks in Advance!
/Falarion

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, to me RPG Maps is that every area should have a meaning to it.
This area is meant to be a ruined city, destroyed by the Hydras, Serpent Spawns or smth, and so the townspeople need to live underground since their city has been uninhabitable :p
Also, the final part of this Area has a quest which will be a puzzle, hopefully, a quite annoying one (A)
<Not shown yet>
But everyone has their own opinion about this I would imagine XD

Also, why do you simply say "you have no Idea what RPG-Style is"?
Then tell me what your opinion about it is, how can I fix it?, how I can make it better?,
Please evolve your posts a bit, it would help ALOT more than non-constructive sentences like that.
IE:
RPG-Style maps have:
- ?
- ?
They Don't Have/Use:
- ?
- ?
Etc.

Last edited:
I had no idea you where mapping for that ot :$, same goes for the rest of the team. Also its not 8.6 but ok :p. I do like the idea of some parts tho, but it can use alot changes.

I will give you some examples. Its looks a bit chaotic by using much of the same details/ground theme (cave walls) on the same map.
Also the building type don't really fit in the kind of cave you made. It can use some architecture and realistic details in it (why are there eq, depots and a mailbox in it, etc). Adding realistic details gives a map a story and the idea of the monsters who "live" there. And the swamp maps, mostly make it smaller, add less and different details, also there you get the chaotic idea.

Last edited:
I had no idea you where mapping for that ot :$, same goes for the rest of the team. Also its not 8.6 but ok :p. I do like the idea of some parts tho, but it can use alot changes.

I will give you some examples. Its looks a bit chaotic by using much of the same details/ground theme (cave walls) on the same map.
Also the building type don't really fit in the kind of cave you made. It can use some architecture and realistic details in it (why are there eq, depots and a mailbox in it, etc). Adding realistic details gives a map a story and the idea of the monsters who "live" there. And the swamp maps, mostly make it smaller, add less and different details, also there you get the chaotic idea.

Well, I gave it to you on MSN, and you said you were perhaps going to use it. XD
Anyhow, I was mistaken then (A)
About it being 8.6, well, I have 2 copies of the map, exactly the same, 8.54 and 8.6 ^.-

About the Buildings, there is going to be NPC's there and shops.
I guess the Mailbox Could be deleted since the people there wont be able to Post anything... Really.. XD
Cuz they are supposed to be kind of, stuck in the Hell Hole they live in, all broken down and stuffs :p

About the Walls and such, any suggestions on what certain details I can use?
ID's and Picture Examples = Perfect XD

-
I'll back-up the map and do some changes!
Perhaps It'l get a bit better then =D

Thanks Alot for the first Constructive Post =)
/Falarion

This depends on the story you have in your map. You say its for NPC's, but why are they underground, this reason is not clear enough to be able to make an example.
I first need your story, theme, monsters who live there (why there and why those nature for those monsters), reason why its underground, the function of that part of the map (where is it, is it a local area where people will go often, or is it more like a quest npc that you have to be able to find. If the last thing is the case, then why its hard to find and why does a NPC choose to live there, etc).
All of those things you need to make a map look realistic and functional.

This depends on the story you have in your map. You say its for NPC's, but why are they underground, this reason is not clear enough to be able to make an example.
I first need your story, theme, monsters who live there (why there and why those nature for those monsters), reason why its underground, the function of that part of the map (where is it, is it a local area where people will go often, or is it more like a quest npc that you have to be able to find. If the last thing is the case, then why its hard to find and why does a NPC choose to live there, etc).
All of those things you need to make a map look realistic and functional.

Well, the storyline of this Quest is not entirely set in stone exactly :p
But I was thinking something like:
"Investigate the ruins of ??? (name)"
Sub Quests:
- Find the Equipment Store Owner, Anders.
- Extinguish the source of the venomous monsters.
(Defeat Medusa)

Rumors in the Town:
- I saw her, I saw her with my own eyes, my friends turned into stone, there is only the seven of us in this town left... God Help us all!
or smth like that, but better.. :p
and something to do with the fisherman leaving them all to die.
I'm more focused on the Mapping Parts right now though!
-----
The City is a small island, it's gonna be located on the east part of the "World".
Which is going to be the more Tropical Side, Jungles etc.
You get to it by a boatsman, far from civilization, he offers to help you out to get to the island.
This boatsman lives all alone with his dogs and sheep, still remembering his past life on that island, he doesn't ever wanna go back, but he still wants to know if his Wife, Alice is still alive, so he helps you out and takes you to the island for free if you bring back evidence of his wife's death or if she is Still Alive.
-----
Reason why they are underground is because their town was destroyed and was laid in ruins.
So they established a little town underground for better protection against the foul beasts.
The townspeople lack the necessary wood to build a proper boat to take them all to a better place, so they are traped.

Something Like That I Would Imagine :p

--
In Short This will involve:
- Puzzles
- Boss
- Betrayal :eek:
- Storyline told by NPC's and Books/Notes
- Great Treasure
- More? I dunno, haha ^^

Last edited:
With your pictures, underground try to add light dirt and dont use two types of underground dirt, like the one with the thick border, just try to keep it to one.. dont spam the light dirt if you use it either only use it in small patches..

Alrite, I tried it...
I dunno if it became better or worse though XD
Here is the results anyways:
214k6c.png

--
Should I also change out most of the "Depth Dirt"?
To me it gives a better feeling to it, that the brown dirt is stamped down into the ground, that the swamps goes down a bit, kinda like a little pool of water in mud.
And that the dried grass is.. Uhm, beginning to get all swallowed up by the dirt.
I dunno if this reasoning is any good for Tibia Maps, but oh well! =D

Thanks for the help!
Just gimme more responses so that I can become better as a Mapper!

Last edited:
Sorry for this double post, but I would just like to share my revamped cave entrance.
I'd like to hear your opinon about it! =D
I for one think it is a whole lot better!
~
2r5z4va.png

Try not to use thick bordered grass but looks better, and the dead grass doesnt fit since its near the water

and the dead grass doesnt fit since its near the water
Uhm yeh, very true XD
Gonna fix it now =D
-----------------------------------
Fixed + Changed some
Results:
2i1m3xi.png

Made some new changes :p
(I'm so bored >_<)
sno46r.png

Okay, final Results:
68ad5u.png

Turned out alot better than I thought it would from the start :p
My thanks goes out to you who posted constructive, interesting ideas on what I could change and such.
Cheers!!
~/Falarion\~

Last edited:
Back