• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Flowdude's mapping thread

Flowdude, really stop fooling your self that's not 100% RAW.

Just stop trying to help him if he keeps lying saying that he doesn't auto border.

I am really confused right now because all i used AB on was the cave walls! :S
I went through the cave once with AB to insert some floor, but the rest is RAW :S

Cave walls, grounds, gravel... Almost everything is done with AutoBorder. If these things arn't made in AutoBorder, change to AutoBorder... Because you map like a damn autoborder.

are you serious ? :eek:
aw :S

I'm sorry if you guys think i lie, but i dont :S
But I'll try to improve my "skills" better next time. but what about the other pictures? like the mountain, that is made 100 % raw EXCEPT the "mountain". anything bad with those aswell? :S
I am willing to get any help I can get here:S I really want to map better, if you don't like it.

Last edited:
It's not illegal to map with autoborder... I map with autoborder sometimes, no shame in that. But you don't have to lie about using it or not...
It's nothing REALLY bad with the picture, it's jut that it is spammed with autoborder, and it is really easy to see.

Haha Flowdude you know that mountain in Green Valley (dragons)? When I made that I didn't even know I could use autoborder with mountains, I did the whole mountain with RAW until Limos said wth are you doing xD. My opinion about autoborder is that it's there for a reason, to make it easier for you lol, not to avoid using it because others say you shouldn't use it. You can always throw in some RAW afterwards to cover it up. The thing with autoborder tho, it's easy to notice autoborder, unless you give some nature-like forms to it, so no big squares lol. But that's just my noob-mapper's point of view =]. Good work overall, and Merry Christmas to you.

Haha Flowdude you know that mountain in Green Valley (dragons)? When I made that I didn't even know I could use autoborder with mountains, I did the whole mountain with RAW until Limos said wth are you doing xD. My opinion about autoborder is that it's there for a reason, to make it easier for you lol, not to avoid using it because others say you shouldn't use it. You can always throw in some RAW afterwards to cover it up. The thing with autoborder tho, it's easy to notice autoborder, unless you give some nature-like forms to it, so no big squares lol. But that's just my noob-mapper's point of view =]. Good work overall, and Merry Christmas to you.

The whole problem with people who map in autoborder is mostly that they rush it. They don't think about the shape or difference in zones. At the end it will just look like a square or round map that is made for giants. If you try making a good and functional shape, it can still look good even with using AB in some parts.
Also there is nothing wrong with mapping a mountain in 100% RAW (this mostly makes is more easy to make a good shape), unless you don't know how to border the mountain walls, using the wrong mountain wall borders just makes it look bugged. So in this case its good to start with the Optional Border Tool, so you can see what kind of borders to use in certain places.

The thing with the mountain is, the shape is just wrong, even if you make this in RAW it will still look bad. If you make a big mountain its important to make difference in zones, now it just looks like a pyramid or something.
You can break the mountain at some places and make walkable paths (with mountain shape), add difference with details, maybe an entrance to a different place. At the end it have to look like every place is playable and functional, also places you can't reach.
Another important thing, if you make a mountain, with RAW or AB, always use the smallest brush size to make a good and realistic shape.

Last edited:
Autoborder is usefull when you know what youre doing, mostly in mountains and some basic walls. But I myself use autoborder a LOT on almost everything, but Its only to make the basic shape, then I turn it off and redo the bad/squarish/funny parts of what I mapped. Sometimes I have no option but to do everything on raw because the borders I want to use arent the default from that floor, so there is no AB, and that makes me lose tons of time. Probably the "A" hotkey is the most used when I map, turning it on and off.

What version of RME is that? It looks cooler than the RME version I have. A link would be appreciated.

It's the same as yours, just change your preferences of your PC and RME xD

vou3y1.png

edited. better view

Attachments

• Mapping competition.jpg
    Mapping competition.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 5 · VirusTotal
Back