• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Framerate Problem [Extremely low FPS on older clients]

Oldschool Fan

Reaction score
Hello, since I started playing OTs on 7.4 and 7.6 again I have encountered a problem. I can usually get 40-60 FPS easily on any client 7.72 or above, but when I use a 7.4 or 7.6 I can only manage to get 8 FPS.

I realize the open to change to OpenGL and such isn't in 7.6, but I have talked to others and nobody has this bad of a problem. Some experience lower FPS then normal but they are still in the 20's. Even 20's would be awesome compared to 8.

I'm using Windows Vista, heres a picture of what it looks like when I press alt+F8 (notice the "failed direct3d"). Thanks for any help in advance.

bi34sy.jpg

As far as I'm aware my graphics card supports that stuff. Like I said on newer versions I run DirectX9 (I believe) and get like 60+ fps, it's just the old clients that I have trouble with.

When I open a 8.7 client and go to the graphics option, I have the option to use DX5, DX9 or OpenGL which leads me to believe I have all of them on my computer.

Notice the "Direct3d failed at step 0". Know anything about that?

Btw I tried your original link and after clearing my temp files / editing startup I gained about 1 FPS average.

D3D failed thing has nothing to do with it, it always shows there and Cip added it for some debug purposes

The only thing you can do is try using XP instead, and the latest graphics card drivers. And hope for the best.

I'll look into updating my drivers later and I can set something in the properties to run compatible to windows XP or something but I don't actually have the operating system.

Anyone know good driver updates? All the ones I found do everything except update the damn drivers before asking you to buy their product

You're supposed to get an updated version from your graphics card manufacturer's website
It isnt guaranteed to help, most manufacturers only release minor bugfixes/optimizations or resolve compatibility issues with driver updates

Changing program compatibility settings won't help, as this problem caused by bad support of OS and the drivers themselves for the legacy version of DX

Acer Aspire5810T
Vista
Mobile Intel 4 Series Chipset Express Family

Not really sure what to include, tell me if I missed anything >.<

Last edited:
Back