• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Complaint Freedom to share 0.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazen

Developer
Reaction score
Greeting OTLand.

I think it's time to stop banning people who share the 0.4 distribution. You're not allowed to charge people for an open-source application and at the same time preventing them from sharing it. As long as you release TFS, people should be allowed to share it with each other.
You're now offering a service that gives people access to TFS 0.4 for an amount of money. That's what I call selling, and not donating. So in this case, you're selling a product. According to the open-source incense, you've no right to prevent people from sharing their copy of TFS 0.4 after they've bought it from you.

Also, I see that you've stopped updating TFS 0.3. Is that because you want people to buy your "donation" service?

No one in OTLand is bringing up this discussion, I've once posted the same question but one of your mods deleted it. Now I want an answer for this hypocrisy!

And btw, I myself stopped using TFS after the latest 0.3 update, so don't try to come with any childish arguments, this is for the users, not for me.

Last edited:
I dont mind but:

1. GPL allows you to charge money
2. You are free to share it outside this board (just forum rules)

Altho I share your core opinion.

I dont mind but:

1. GPL allows you to charge money
2. You are free to share it outside this board (just forum rules)

Altho I share your core opinion.

Yes, of course, it is allowed to sell TFS. I just thought about the word "donation", wish is not right to use if you are selling a product. Talaturen/Mods have also been banning people for sharing TFS, so he's scaring the other users to not do the same. I guess he will keep banning people. Because people will think, why buy donation when you can get TFS for free..

Last edited:
Yes, of course, it is allowed to sell TFS. I just thought about the word "donation", wish is not right to use if you are selling a product.

As you can see, when you donate, you're helping the community and/or yourself.. If none donates, how could OTLand buy the new server in chicago?, also in here
They didn't wrte that when you donate you'll be able to use TFS 0.4, in the past there wasn't anything called TFS 0.4 but people still donated..
So think, you're selling something. 1 person buys it and gives a copy of it to 10 others, would you be happy?

Regards,

LoLaye

It's actually the forum's rules that prevent you from redistributing it. The reason it is kept in the private Subversion is to avoid people spamming the forum with threads about compiling issues since it's not meant to be released yet as it contains a lot of bugs/incomplete things.

You are allowed to do it, but they may revoke your premium status on which you agreed by the rules of premium subscription -> it's all your fault.
<poker-face/>

@Mazen:
But seriously, it's not like you BUY ACCESS TO TFS 0.4. You donate to OTLand (Now it's called purchasing Premium Member status or smth.) and as additional bonus you get access to Private SVN. You should be happy of fact that their Private SVN is somehow public, because premium members can read-access it. It's like working directory. And after it's finished, it'll be released.

You are free to share it, it's under the GNU GPL, right? I don't see why you are complaining when you haven't even donated. It seems to me that you're just mad because no one wants to share it with you and you're stuck on the latest 0.3 release (oh no, a childish argument?! no, just the truth).

This is our forum, we decide what content users aren't allowed to post. If you dislike it you also have the freedom to hang out at some other forum instead. Your opinion is not going to make me change my mind, in fact I have zero respect for you and you should know why.

No further discussion is needed,
Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back