• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

have you noticed that monsters are very dumb in tfs 1.x in comparision with older releases?

have you?

• yes

Votes: 21 77.8%
  • no

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters

johnsamir

Advanced OT User
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello Community

Lately i have moved into tfs 1.3 and have noticed that all the monsters in this distribution behave overly "dumb" and quite slow too.
Is completely strange how monsters behave in this distribution, that have been flattered by many otland users and developers under the pretext of it's perfomance, which is true. It's perfomance is unique in comparision to older distributions, also is quite cool that it doesn't consume almost any cpu usage and the syntax used in newer tfs easier is than it used to be in the old tfs 0.4.
But again barring that, have you noticed how overly "dumb" and slow are monsters in this distribution? For example i think and figured out too that monster find path, attack better and walk faster or smater in older distributions like OThire, OTX2, TFS 0.4 i have tested the same datapack monsters in the already mentioned distribution, the monsters, datapack was taken from othire, undeniably not before a thorough have done the corresponding changes to make it work.
so i did the changes in the monster folder to test it with tfs 1.3 and at least for me is disappointing view how the monster works in here, a level 8 can run away easily from a cyclops, giant spiders with speed sucks, same for orc berserker and many monster more. have do you noticed? What has been your experience with monster behavior in this distribution? is there a workarround that could be made to "solve this" ?

Last edited:

Amazing this still hasnt been fixed XDDDDDD
Entire TFS repo is a mess and should be ditched long time ago. It peaked in 2010s and is a shame in 2021.
Anyway this "fix" is not a proper fix. It affects performance significantly based on number of active monsters (not in idle state).

Entire TFS repo is a mess and should be ditched long time ago. It peaked in 2010s and is a shame in 2021.
Anyway this "fix" is not a proper fix. It affects performance significantly based on number of active monsters (not in idle state).

Mark said that doesn't affects perfomance unless you have over 500 players running around at dense hunting grounds. How true is this? If you could explain how this significantly affects in a common server (0-100 players) would be great,

Regards!

Mark said that doesn't affects perfomance unless you have over 500 players running around at dense hunting grounds. How true is this? If you could explain how this significantly affects in a common server (0-100 players) would be great,

Regards!
With 100 players it won't be noticeable (probably around 5% increased CPU usage). 500 players hunting at the same time is a stretch imo, but around 300+ you will notice CPU usage being higher than usual. Performance hit doesn't mean that the server will start lagging as hell.
For most servers it won't make a difference at all but that doesn't mean it should be implemented.

Checked TFS repo if there were any significant optimizations for pathfinding since this fix was posted in 2015 and... nothing. So the statement is still valid.

With 100 players it won't be noticeable (probably less than 10% increased CPU usage). 500 players hunting at the same time is a stretch imo, but around 300+ you will notice CPU usage being higher than usual.
For most servers it won't make a difference at all but that doesn't mean it should be implemented.
ME: Creates bad code effecting CPU/Memory performance

Also me: buys more ram and higher rated CPU after 6 months due to moores law.

But for real though its crazy how many times ive run into something where faster hardware just saves me when writing bad code haha
I know that's not the correct approach, but sometimes when asking myself should I spend 40-80 hours trying to figure out a better solution, or just buy 32 gigs of more ram, I will buy the RAM xD'

Im not sure at all if it applies in this case, your post just made me think of that.

But for real though its crazy how many times ive run into something where faster hardware just saves me when writing bad code haha
I know that's not the correct approach, but sometimes when asking myself should I spend 40 hours trying to figure out a better solution, or just buy 32 gigs of more ram, I will buy the RAM xD
There is a limit to what your hardware can handle.
Memory leaks? Just get 128GB RAM. Until those leaks will fill that RAM :p

I know that's not the correct approach, but sometimes when asking myself should I spend 40-80 hours trying to figure out a better solution, or just buy 32 gigs of more ram, I will buy the RAM xD'

Im not sure at all if it applies in this case, your post just made me think of that.
it's a workaround that looks good to me hahaha
Post automatically merged:

sorry for double post admins and thank @4Nathu4 i've tested the code and with it, the monster are still extremly dumb and slow
check this xD if you guys don't want to see it entirely, watch it from sec 50 onwards.
video

Last edited:
Isn't this how they behave even on RL Tibia?
don't know but in comparision at least with old engines, how monster behave is a lame, monsters are crippled or what
ex: in othire with a level 8 running away from a cyclops is quite hard and you feel like you must press the button harder to run away
in this engine i can even stop walking few secs

Last edited:
don't know but in comparision at least with old engines, how monster behave is a lame, monsters are crippled or what
ex: in othre with a level 8 running away from a cyclops is quite hard and you feel like you must press the button harder to run away
in this engine i can even stop walking few secs
Still he have a point, you can notice the dance between the bushes, where the cyclops get stucked in a loop of 2 sqms movement, i think @kay said in some thread that rl tibia monster AI had a "queue" when getting the fastest route to the player, making it impossible to fool it in 2 sqm movement or around big rocks. So far no engine have this working as it should that i know.

Amazing this still hasnt been fixed XDDDDDD

It isn't 5 minutes job. A new implementation has to be written. Spawns loop, aggro trigger, onThink, pathfinding and possibly more.

This was fixed, but the fix isn't public and both of us know who might be having the code.

It isn't 5 minutes job. A new implementation has to be written. Spawns loop, aggro trigger, onThink, pathfinding and possibly more.

This was fixed, but the fix isn't public and both of us know who might be having the code.
iryont? have read something about it at github somwhere, just today hah

Last edited:
it's a workaround that looks good to me hahaha
Post automatically merged:

sorry for double post admins and thank @4Nathu4 i've tested the code and with it, the monster are still extremly dumb and slow
check this xD if you guys don't want to see it entirely, watch it from sec 50 onwards.
video
this is still an issue in tfs 1.5 :/ does anybody knows a fix? don't know why tfs1.x monsters seems to be dumber than in tf 0.4 a player chsing a players stop on almost every square for almost 1 o 2 seconds same for every other monster

Last edited:
this is still an issue in tfs 1.5 :/ does anybody knows a fix? don't know why tf 1.x monsters feel dumber than in tf 0.4 a player chsing a players stop on almost every square for almost 1 o 2 seconds same for every other monster

was using this in tfs 1.3 and is not good at all

Back