• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

High rate servers and big damages. What do you think?

Do you like this way of formatting damage?

• Yes

• No

• I like both

Results are only viewable after voting.

Xagul

deathzot.net
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello, I have been pondering for some time as to what draws players into high rate servers.

For a while now I have been convinced players enjoy seeing big numbers and the constant feel that they are indeed advancing. Something about gaining a level quickly and as a result doing slightly more damage vs. waiting longer to level while watching an exp % go up. On the other hand, I also feel people enjoy seeing big damage numbers. This concept is really evident in JRPGs as they tend to use big bold lettering for their damage text and often times numbers > 100,000.

I personally always make high rate servers because myself and many others enjoy them so much. With that said I do think there is an inherit problem with numbers getting to out of hand to the point where they cannot be read easily. Because of this I have been thinking about a way to display damage in a different way.

My question is simple. Do you like this way of formatting damage? Do you think it takes away the high rate feeling? I am curious, so vote and leave a reply on your opinion!

Edit:
Some tests using capital letters as well...
Sko1YxJ.png
wnKRc9i.png
k6MVS8p.png

iP60AEt.png
0BFbvwP.png
P6ldYqE.png

Edit 2:
Decided to just do all ideas and let players choose when they want xD
8wu3QJF.png

Healing
tTfqtPi.png
riL34U1.png

Last edited:
My personal opinion, I don't like 1000 being appeared as 1k when you can show 9 letters just fine. But! This is how you could do it as you know 9 letters is maximum that you can see in doAnimatedText, you can do it like this.
Damages could appear like:
1000 ---- Showing 1000 like 1k doesn't look very pretty in my opinion
1kk ---- Showing it was 1kk or 1M is really up to you, 1m would probly look better ingame I guess
1b
1t

@Xagul

I do. Also I just tried capital letters and I think it looks better ;o

Sko1YxJ.png
wnKRc9i.png
k6MVS8p.png

iP60AEt.png
0BFbvwP.png
P6ldYqE.png

Eh, I don't like it either, surprisingly.

But I think it is just because I am not used to it though. (Maybe with time people would come to enjoy it)

The important thing is they still get the informaiton. As long as they can see how much damage is being done, in relation to how far the HP Bar moved, they know how much more damage they need to do to kill a monster.

If you do 1k damage and the monster goes from full hp to yellow, you know it has generally 2k hp left (2-3 more hits).

Also how are you rounding?
If it says 1k, could I be doing 1.9k? or if I hit 2k, could I be hitting 1.6k?

Maybe include a decimal, so you get slightly more exact information.

See in my opinion, in the heat of a battle.
OzPukNW.png

I don't think that means much of anything to anyone...

Could you add 2 decimal places after? I think that would make it a bit more pleasent.
For example:
2.3M
26.47M
etc....

I think 1 - 99 999 is totaly enough, you can easily read the number but when you get 6 numbers atleast my brain gets confused.
This alsow depends on the speed of the damage, if you get 10 hits per second i would not even bother changing it(wich i doubt will happen often in one of your servers)

But if you are going to use the 1K and so on totaly use cap leters

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys. As it was pretty split I've decided to just go ahead and make both, and someone also gave me another idea so I added a third option as well :)

8wu3QJF.png

P.S.
All you 10.x users jelly of this animatedTEXTTTTTTT? @Evan lol =]

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys. As it was pretty split I've decided to just go ahead and make both, and someone also gave me another idea so I added a third option as well :)

8wu3QJF.png

P.S.
All you 10.x users jelly of this animatedTEXTTTTTTT? @Evan lol =]
i liked percents dmg more than abbreviated one :p keep going on your mystery projects

Percent looks great!
Does it still say the number in server log?

Back