• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Complaint Hoster's rules in Job section

Don Daniello

/root
Staff member
Administrator
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello,
I've just seen new rule which forces hosters to post speedtest image.
It's completely ridiculous. because it has disabled best hosting offers from offering at jobs section. By 'best hosting offer' I mean dedicated server. Good dedicated server has... Linux, not Winshit. We can now argue about that, but in the end it appears that Linux is more stable, less hacker-friendly (if(user_IQ>10)), and cheaper. Most powerfull Linux dedicated server doesn't have X server, because it's unnecessary load. So, it doesn't have graphical web browser, so it doesn't have flash plugin, so it can't run speedtest !

There is other to prove connection speed. Just place the link to dedicated server company's offer and prove you have bought it.

Other reasons to remove speedtest rule for dedicated servs:
- sometimes speedtest servers are too loaded to handle full connetion of dedicated server which is at least 100/100 mbit
@http://otland.net/f61/hosters-read-avoid-thread-deletion-42233/
Your test shows, that you have 0.79 mbit, you wrote it's 1 mbit. You've lost 21%. Imagine you have server with 100 mbit upload (30E with server) or 1 Gbit (100E with i7-proc server). That means, you loose 21 mbit and 210 mbit respectively. Btw. I'm 90% sure that speedtest couldn't even test 1 Gbit connection...
- it's advertisment and rule to use speedtest.net :p
- you force people to buy windows server, otherwise they won't be able to run speedtest (connecting to x server via ssh tunnel and just setting it up is much more difficult than setiing up OTS)
- you block pro hosters and encourage ots-kiddies... :(

@Btw. I'm sure you will need those 300 GB Sata-II for OTS, and 0.79 mbit could handle few players but ok, it's an example.

Tell me exactly how you can prove that you bought a Linux-based server from x company and I will edit the rules, as for the others I didn't know that you can't test your speed on Linux server so I'll specify that the rules apply for everyone who's using a desktop.

I'm not familiar with Linux, but isn't it possible to just install all those stuffs require to run speedtest?

if it's possible.. then you're just an lazy ass and by that maybe prove you're not working really hard to get a server going ;)

It is possible, but when you have desktop software. On remote dedicated servers you don't have this. You can install it and connect using third party software, which is hard for linux users, and unnecessary because it's not needed and uses resources.

How to prove ?
1. You get the bill
2. Your server default hostname often ends with x company's domain, like [...].your-server.de (Hetzner Online) or ns123123.ovh.net and so on.

I'm not familiar with Linux, but isn't it possible to just install all those stuffs require to run speedtest?

if it's possible.. then you're just an lazy ass and by that maybe prove you're not working really hard to get a server going ;)

Why the heck would someone need graphical interface on the dedicated server used to host an OT? Youre retarded.

These tools allow only to track traffic, they won't tell you max bandwidth available.

The easiest way is to send someone who's interested a bill which clearly speciefies server plan.

@edit:
Good Nikolas, but 'Linux Distribution with Desktop' sounds a bit noobish. Write please 'Linux Distribution with X Server (GUI)'.

Last edited:
These tools allow only to track traffic, they won't tell you max bandwidth available.

The easiest way is to send someone who's interested a bill which clearly speciefies server plan.

@edit:
Good Nikolas, but 'Linux Distribution with Desktop' sounds a bit noobish. Write please 'Linux Distribution with X Server (GUI)'.

I wrote it for noobs to understand :p

Back