• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Hover-Mouse Item Information

Flatlander

Species Developer
Solutions
Reaction score
giphy.gif

This is just my first test, but I am pretty excited about it.

Making it easier to look at items is really important, since our items are so complex on my upcoming server:

07:20 You see a hand axe.(atk[29-60]atk/sec[0.543]DPS[24.14]
~Arm[1]~
~speed[-4]~
~impactDmg:[8%]~
Item Experience [0] Item Level [0] Reforge Points [0]
Durability [5000] Integrity [5000] Weight [54.6]
Spell [None]
Passive [Ice Weapon]

Being able to show, and compare the stats of items quickly, is something I want in tibia.

I thought about this for a long time and I'm also developing a hover-mouse ... but I thought of something more different than "you see" as a text telling you what you see and the characteristics, I thought of something like "a box presenting characteristics".

Image06.jpg

item_name_color_FINAL.jpg
equipment-properties-thumb.jpg

I thought about this for a long time and I'm also developing a hover-mouse ... but I thought of something more different than "you see" as a text telling you what you see and the characteristics, I thought of something like "a box presenting characteristics".

Image06.jpg

Yea the plan would be to have a box that shows the stats similar to yours.

I just tested to see how I would populate the text box with accurate information.
At first, the weight wouldn't update when the item changes. (My items change in weight, and their stats change as they level up)

I had 2 options.
  1. Have the Client request the item stats from the server every time you hover the mouse over an item.
  2. Have the Client save all the item stats, and have the item stats update each time an item is edited.
I went with Option 2. My client saves the item, along with all the stats when an item appears on-screen. It then can use that data to display whatever windows I want.

Did you decide to go with Option 1 or Option 2?
I'm curious.

It's a very technical question for me.
I would probably put the client to request the data directly from the server every time it happens "hover-mouse".

Why would the client save the data? To re-use later and save performance?

It's a very technical question for me.
I would probably put the client to request the data directly from the server every time it happens "hover-mouse".

Why would the client save the data? To re-use later and save performance?

Well, to avoid spamming TFS with item information requests.

If you slide your mouse over you inventory, and it passes over 3 inventory slots, it then sends 3 requests to TFS and gets 3 responses.
Then when you move your mouse back, and hit those 3 inventory slots again, you send another 3 requests and get another 3 responses.

Instead, I simply added to the putItem and getItem functions to include other information.
So any time an item is sent to the client ANYWAY, it already saves the itemid and count. Just add in other information for it to save.
This way, you might increase the size of something already being sent, rather than creating new network protocols that increase the spam between the server and the client.

But you can prevent sending the data on that, hovering through few items, adding some delay, f.ex. You can make it appear only when it is hovered for more than X seconds.

But you can prevent sending the data on that, hovering through few items, adding some delay, f.ex. You can make it appear only when it is hovered for more than X seconds.

True, but to me this is annoying (having to wait for the pop-up window).
I like the instant-information, and there is almost no negative to storing the item information in the client.

I play all servers using my otclient (yes, i'm linux desktop user)
Would you share it? I really like this feature XD

But it's okey if it is for only your project, i just wanted like a user :D

I play all servers using my otclient (yes, i'm linux desktop user)
Would you share it? I really like this feature XD

But it's okey if it is for only your project, i just wanted like a user :D

The OTClient only has 2 things of information for each item. Itemid, and Count.

You have to edit BOTH TFS and OTClient to get more information, such as Item Name, Item Article (a or an), and other stats like weight, attack, defense, etc.
Because of this, it would be useless to give you this, since you use the otclient to play OTHER people's servers.

To avoid the request between server and client, I will save the whole item description locally as a TXT database ... same in ragnarok that it uses .GRF

To avoid the request between server and client, I will save the whole item description locally as a TXT database ... same in ragnarok that it uses .GRF

This doesn't work for me, because I plan to do calculations with the values.

For example, when you look at a weapon. It will compare it with your current weapon.
Similar to how other games do it.
Such as Path of Exile in this picture:
B9WOB5SAQ8DU1463101447204.jpg

Image06.jpg

Just a comment on the big boxes like that.

While they are pretty looking, they might be a bit impractical for a Tibia-like game. The reason for this is, unlike those games, Tibia is ''played out of the backpack''.

During pvp, fighting monsters, trading items, or using items for quests, players may have to go through their backpacks to find items, and have very little time to deal with anything, so a big box blocking the view of the other items in the container can cause unwanted side effects, and upset players. Those games typically don't have those issues.

So when designing hover windows for the OTC, we have to think about practicality and least obtuse UI for playability. A smaller design would get less in the way.

That's not to say that these windows can't be made to look pretty, I just know how angry people (and myself) would get if the hover windows would get in the way of me going through my backpacks during tense moments.

The extended window will only open if the item is clicked. [CTRL+CLICK]

@Sportacus could be right.
Maybe should do this: when mouse over, only show item name (and weigh?)
When holding down shift and mouse hovering item then shows full description window.
And when you hold down shift and click then perhaps leaves the description window open and makes it draggable and closeable.
all the rest full description windows will compare stats with the first one (even if you open 5 of those)

Haven't seen something like this done before, not sure if useful for you, but if your items are as unique as I think they are, I think you will have use for dragable description windows. (and then in future I can ask how you did it :D)

This is simple, just use ahover with 2 seconds of delay ... you need to hold the mouse for 2 seconds to show the complete description.

Last time I saw it, there's already this in Tibia ... in the same in-game shop.

Hello could you tell me where I edit to send only one item attribute to the client?
I put a rarity system of items on my server and I needed the client to take this information to change the color of the item

I already know where I have to edit to change the color
But I did not find how to send any info item yet = /

@Flatlander

Sorry for my english = X

Last edited:
Back