• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

How does support work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital

Learning C++
Solutions
Reaction score
I got a message just a few minutes ago from one of the support team members regarding my bumping a thread I made some time yesterday. No one responded to the thread C++ - What controls the protocols?

I made 2 more threads today and didn't get much help because they didn't give a clear & concise answer it was either a few words or LMGTFY.

Not to sound like an asshole but maybe the questions I have are too hard for people here to answer?

If I am on the wrong forum can someone direct me to a developers forum? Please no LMGTFY links. Thanks!

2. Double Post:
- You have to wait 24 hours to post after your own post in a thread.
- There is 1 exception to this rule. If you solved a problem you can post it with the solution in the thread regardless of the amount of time between your new post and your last one.
If your thread isn't on the first page anymore by the time you solved it, set your thread prefix to solved and edit your first or last post and add the solution.

Why didn't you say that in the message you sent me? This is the only message you sent me no other information.
Code:
Digital,

Your message (What controls the protocols?) violates the rules of the board it was posted on. Please read carefully the rules posted in sticky threads and other notices and adhere to them fully. Your message may have been removed or altered to make it compliant.

This warning may increase your warning point counter. Reaching a threshold of 3 warning points will get you banned.

Moderators or support team members nowadays are pretty much useless and lazy, I'd say mostly newer ones. They don't really care when it comes to informing you about what was wrong, but they do make sure to punish you in all possible way.

If this is the guy who sent you a private message with a notation, you can clearly see how efficient they are by their attitude and professionalism.

i gave him a notification beforehand the first time he bumped that said don't bump within 24 hours
he did it again so i gave him a warning
the warning text tells you to read the rules
i shouldn't have to restate in the pm that's what he did wrong because he did it wrong the first time and i gave the reason why in the first place
shouldn't even happen in the first place if people read the rules that are stickied at the top of the board

Not to sound like an asshole but maybe the questions I have are too hard for people here to answer?

They are probably too complex or open. People that answer do without any incentive, and will dodge the ones where the guy seems totally clueless because they don't know what they need to teach the guy and how familiar he is with the subject. So in the end it's you fault, you need to be more objective, do more effort on the subject and after you study it more, if you still has doubts try to get help with a more specific aspect.

We can't enforce that people read the rules when they register.
It's up to you to read the rules that the forum has; OtLand - The Official Rules for OTLand
And that the board has.

If you get a notification you can PM a moderator to see who sent you it.
Moderators and admins can see if a mod sent you a notification or an offical warning regarding a certain post.

What I can say in this case - it seems like you didn't read the board rules or even the forum rules (24h bump rule, rule #2 in both xases) and then complain that you got punished for it?
In that thread you had 2 posts deleted, another post was deleted because it was written in BR? (not by you).

Should be common sence that if a moderator removes your post - check what you did wrong.
If you can't find anything PM a moderator who issued the warning / deleted your post so you know what you did wrong.

They are probably too complex or open. People that answer do without any incentive, and will dodge the ones where the guy seems totally clueless because they don't know what they need to teach the guy and how familiar he is with the subject. So in the end it's you fault, you need to be more objective, do more effort on the subject and after you study it more, if you still has doubts try to get help with a more specific aspect.
How is this my fault? I am the new person here with no experience in developing this game but it is somehow my fault for asking questions? Yea that make sense.

To me it seems like the only thing moderators seem to care about is if we are following the rules and not about helping people with their problems unless the problem has already been resolve previously. Is the staff here the people who update the sources or is that someone else? Because if it is someone else then I want to be in contact with those people.

To me it seems like the only thing moderators seem to care about is if we are following the rules and not about helping people with their problems
That's exactly what moderators are for.

That's exactly what moderators are for.
That is truly pathetic not just the statement but also for getting a like in agreements with that statement from a moderator. I guess I am wasting my time here looking for answers in development from a game that you people built & maintain yet seem completely clueless how to answer simple questions regarding the development. Thanks I'd say it's been fun here but it really hasn't.

If the majority of the people here (including staff) are not developers then what is this forum about?

How is this my fault? I am the new person here with no experience in developing this game but it is somehow my fault for asking questions? Yea that make sense.

To me it seems like the only thing moderators seem to care about is if we are following the rules and not about helping people with their problems unless the problem has already been resolve previously. Is the staff here the people who update the sources or is that someone else? Because if it is someone else then I want to be in contact with those people.
read the rules.... it's 100% your fault everyone of us were new here, maybe some of us made mistakes others didn't. but if you are new you have to learn how things works here... it's the same when you arrive to another country, house, game or when you buy something via internet
close this thread please....
@WibbenZ

Last edited by a moderator:
read the rules.... it's 100% your fault everyone of us were new here, maybe some of us made mistakes others didn't. but if you are new you have to learn how things works here... it's the same when you arrive to another country, house, game or when you buy something via internet
close this thread please....
@WibbenZ
No need to curse. So how do things work? I am sorry I am not interested in asking question that I can easily find answers to on this forum like questions you ask in your threads. If the answers were on this forum I wouldn't have to ask questions. Sorry if I am bothering you people with development questions but I was under the impression that this was the place to ask questions regarding development.

Last edited by a moderator:
nobody has a problem with asking questions
the matter at hand here is you seem to have a problem with following rules which is simple

nobody has a problem with asking questions
the matter at hand here is you seem to have a problem with following rules which is simple
Why is that your response to every question you don't know how to answer?

my answers are perfectly valid, because you're asking how support board works
if you need a step-by-step guide on how to not get an infraction:
  1. read support board rules
  2. post your thread with details that pertain to the issue and/or question
  3. dont break any rules in the process of creating the thread or posting further responses on your thread (in this case you broke rule #2 twice)
  4. wait for a response
in fact, that's how most forums operate (the more you know!)
basically, you don't break any rules and post in the right sections and you won't have any problems!

An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages. They differ from chat rooms in that messages are often longer than one line of text, and are at least temporarily archived. Also, depending on the access level of a user or the forum set-up, a posted message might need to be approved by a moderator before it becomes visible.

Forums have a specific set of jargon associated with them; example: a single conversation is called a "thread", or topic.

geKSMDL.png

A discussion forum is hierarchical or tree-like in structure: a forum can contain a number of subforums, each of which may have several topics. Within a forum's topic, each new discussion started is called a thread, and can be replied to by as many people as so wish.

7UX9anO.png

Depending on the forum's settings, users can be anonymous or have to register with the forum and then subsequently log in in order to post messages. On most forums, users do not have to log in to read existing messages.
Vd6WbnV.png

Forums are governed by a set of individuals, collectively referred to as staff, made up of administrators and moderators, which are responsible for the forums' conception, technical maintenance, and policies (creation and enforcing). Most forums have a list of rules detailing the wishes, aim and guidelines of the forums' creators. There is usually also a FAQ section containing basic information for new members and people not yet familiar with the use and principles of a forum (generally tailored for specific forum software).

9ec3iCi.png

Rules on forums usually apply to the entire user body and often have preset exceptions, most commonly designating a section as an exception. For example, in an IT forum any discussion regarding anything but computer programming languages may be against the rules, with the exception of a general chat section.

4WAS4pS.png

Forum rules are maintained and enforced by the moderation team, but users are allowed to help out via what is known as a report system. Most American forum software contains such a system. It consists of a small function applicable to each post (including one's own). Using it will notify all currently available moderators of its location, and subsequent action or judgment can be carried out immediately, which is particularly desirable in large or very developed boards. Generally, moderators encourage members to also use the private message system if they wish to report behavior. Moderators will generally frown upon attempts of moderation by non-moderators, especially when the would-be moderators do not even issue a report. Messages from non-moderators acting as moderators generally declare a post as against the rules, or predict punishment. While not harmful, statements that attempt to enforce the rules are discouraged.

u2pHTV5.png

When rules are broken several steps are commonly taken. First, a warning is usually given; this is commonly in the form of a private message but recent development has made it possible for it to be integrated into the software. Subsequent to this, if the act is ignored and warnings do not work, the member is – usually – first exiled from the forum for a number of days. Denying someone access to the site is called a ban. Bans can mean the person can no longer log in or even view the site anymore. If the offender, after the warning sentence, repeats the offense, another ban is given, usually this time a longer one. Continuous harassment of the site eventually leads to a permanent ban. In most cases, this means simply that the account is locked. In extreme cases where the offender – after being permanently banned – creates another account and continues to harass the site, administrators will apply an IP address ban or block (this can also be applied at the server level): If the IP address is static, the machine of the offender is prevented from accessing the site. In some extreme circumstances, IP address range bans or country bans can be applied; this is usually for political, licensing, or other reasons.

Zc5trm9.png

Hope that helps some!

Cheers,

Xikini

You quoted me saying what you did wrong. You asked why you didn't get answers, that's why. I get answers when I ask stuff.

Sorry to interrupt you but in which city, country or any other kind of law does inexperience protect you from getting punished.
As well, when people dont answer. It's their decision. Regardless of how you asked, which I dont want to discuss here in any way.
The Moderator said what you did wrong and even that is a act of kindness for me because sorry If I say this but do you really think all of the staff members want to explain EVERY RULE a thread or post broke to EVERY SINGLE member.

I could go on and on against the "arguments" that you wrote, but to be honest I just wanted to get you the facts, in three simple lines, thats all.

Edit: this is the only message that I will write to this topic, no matter how you respond.

Bye, I wish everyone who read this a good life. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back