• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

How many players can my server handle?

ZyZ010

Reaction score
Hi all, i need just a little help.
Let's say that i have:
Processor: AMD athlon II X2 240
RAM: 3 GB DDR2
On my last thread i was informed that is not needed to have graphics card for hosting OT
Internet Speed:
Download SPeed: 2 Mbps
Upload speed: 1.24 Mbps

How many player's can my server Support?. And if i change my proccesor to intel I5 well it make any diffrent's?...

Thanks! I love you!

Last edited:
Depends who made the rlmap and if its running 1.0, my rlmap (printers, but ive changed almost every script) uses around 2gb without players and 3-4 with players. Its all about optimizing scripts.
If you are gonna host an 8.60 server you should have ATLEAST 4gb ram, id say you need 8gb since most 8.60 servers has 99.9% downloaded scripts from otland, and will use alot more memory then if you we're to opitmizing them.

For 9.20 server example http://forgottenl.se/ how much i need RAM 6 or 8 ?
And upload speed for 10-15 Players

I wouldn't know, I never hosted anything above 8.60, My suggestion is trying to host the 8.60 and and see what happens b4 you go out buying things that you might not need for the server that you are trying to host. And once you hit like 10 people online and it starts to lag than you know that it could be A: You internet speeds are low, the upload is avrg but download is really low. B: You might need more Ram. There is no set amount of ram that you would know of how the server would preform. If you really would like to know you would need to ask hosts of 8.60 clients/server their internet speeds and Ram to get a general idea of how much you would or would not need.

For 9.20 do i need 6 gb of ram??.
Actually the version itself dosen't matter, its the TFS version. Mostly tfs looks like this:
0.2 => stable, but lacks of functions etc
0.3 and 0.4 => not as stable as 0.2, but has alot more fetures

1.0 => the newest of them all, developed by mark(created 0.2) - stable, uses low amount of ram, QUICK AS FUCK, and pretty cool if you ask me ;)

If you use 0.4 (I think 0.4 was the first to 9.20) - you will use just as much ram as if you we're to use 0.4 rev3884 or rev3777(8.60).
If you tho go up to TFS 1.0, and rescript all your custom scripts, you will use ALOT less memory, and the server will be alot quicker.

Its up to you, but as of today I will only use tfs 1.0, seeing as how good it is. But then if there would be a release of an 8.60 or 8.40 tfs 1.0, id prefer "going back in time".

Edit:

I wouldn't know, I never hosted anything above 8.60, My suggestion is trying to host the 8.60 and and see what happens b4 you go out buying things that you might not need for the server that you are trying to host. And once you hit like 10 people online and it starts to lag than you know that it could be A: You internet speeds are low, the upload is avrg but download is really low. B: You might need more Ram. There is no set amount of ram that you would know of how the server would preform. If you really would like to know you would need to ask hosts of 8.60 clients/server their internet speeds and Ram to get a general idea of how much you would or would not need.

Well tbh, the server depends alot on the ram memory on older tfs, id say atleast 2-3 gb for a small custom/evo server, but 6-8gb for an rlmap. But 3gb using windows to host tfs 0.4 would be imposible on an rlmap.
Id go as I just said, with 1.0 in that case.

Actually the version itself dosen't matter, its the TFS version. Mostly tfs looks like this:
0.2 => stable, but lacks of functions etc
0.3 and 0.4 => not as stable as 0.2, but has alot more fetures

1.0 => the newest of them all, developed by mark(created 0.2) - stable, uses low amount of ram, QUICK AS FUCK, and pretty cool if you ask me ;)

If you use 0.4 (I think 0.4 was the first to 9.20) - you will use just as much ram as if you we're to use 0.4 rev3884 or rev3777(8.60).
If you tho go up to TFS 1.0, and rescript all your custom scripts, you will use ALOT less memory, and the server will be alot quicker.

Its up to you, but as of today I will only use tfs 1.0, seeing as how good it is. But then if there would be a release of an 8.60 or 8.40 tfs 1.0, id prefer "going back in time".

Edit:

Well tbh, the server depends alot on the ram memory on older tfs, id say atleast 2-3 gb for a small custom/evo server, but 6-8gb for an rlmap. But 3gb using windows to host tfs 0.4 would be imposible on an rlmap.
Id go as I just said, with 1.0 in that case.

Well then if i want to host this
http://otland.net/threads/best-released-real-map-10-31-based-1-0.204514/

What Upload speed i need for 10-15 player?
and RAM..

Well then if i want to host this
http://otland.net/threads/best-released-real-map-10-31-based-1-0.204514/

What Upload speed i need for 10-15 player?
and RAM..

Well thats the server I use, but mine has ALOT more changes to it, and since I feel the github changes are mostly npc changes I felt I will not release my datapack for free.
You can probbly host that ot with the thing you have, and mby 10-30 players depending on how big your database will grow etc.

But tbh the only thing I would use that computer for is to test the server, not host it. Even if someone starts to ping your servers it will probbly get the same affect as if 3-5 ppl we're DDoSing a bigger dedicated server.
Sorry to say it, but your internet speed is nothing a good ot will be able to use.

How to get DDoS protection??
Pay hosteam.pl around 200-400 eur per month ;)
DDoS protection is nothing you can get for your home computer, atleast not a real DDoS protection. All you can do is setup IPtable if you are using linux.
Windows users are pretty much fuckt when it comes to DDoS if you arent using a proxy tunnel or smth like that.

Pay hosteam.pl around 200-400 eur per month ;)
DDoS protection is nothing you can get for your home computer, atleast not a real DDoS protection. All you can do is setup IPtable if you are using linux.
Windows users are pretty much fuckt when it comes to DDoS if you arent using a proxy tunnel or smth like that.

Well im sure that i well be using LUNUX! (http://www.ubuntu.com/)
Well then... what can i use for DDoS protection THAT IS FREE!.

Nothing really. You can set up hardware and monitor it for yourself and handle the floods (if you've the experience) but that will cost you as well. CloudFlare can help you to protect your homepage by hiding your IP but players will still need your IP to connect.

Nothing is free if you want good stuff, as I said you can set up IPTables, that is pretty much it. And the thing is I would never host a server if I dident ATLEAST have 100mbit.

And yeah, to keep it to your main post: Your internet connection will never be enough for a serious project, sorry. 10mbit upload could have work for a few players but absolutely not below that. Dosen't matter if you buy 6-8GB in memory with that bandwidth. So if you're going to host it some hours per day for fun with friends or for testing, sure. But having it on 24/7 with 20-100+ players online, nope...

100mbit well cost me more then 60 $ every month!.
And you will still not have DDoS protection, if you (as you wrote in a PM) gonna use / steal a server that is used by others, they will get jelous of you and start DDoS you. Then you will lose all your players.. Just look at rltibia.

I'm not an expert at this, But I hope this helps abit.

I saw this calculation in some old thread long time ago, so I saved it.
Code:
Your upload speed x 1024.
1,24 x 1024 = 1269,76.

1269,76 / 16 = 79,36.

Result: 79 ~

The bandwith should be enough for 79 players +/-.

I counted all your upload speed in this calucation, you should leave atleast 10% of the internet speed from the calculation.
If you are going to use a website you won't be able to host 79~ players, because some of the bandwith will be used for the website.

You should host all images on an external website like https://imageshack.com/ because that will save some bandwith when you are USING a website.

Taking only network usage in mind, this is the only legit post in this thread.
Protection against DoS/DDoS is an entirely different matter. And does not have any relation to how many players you can keep up with.

@WibbenZ @Evil Puncker @Jaed Le Raep @Yuji

Now lets have a look at some real data:
56JR9T.png

This is the current network traffic used to host the OT server www.qumora.com
This is a perfect example since the OT has relatively high exprate, so it is considered demanding in traffic compared to other OT servers. (Except fucked up evo servers with rebirth and shit).

The server currently have 162 players online.
Download speed: 160Kbps
Upload speed: 315Kbps

315Kbps upload speed = 2.4Mbps upload usage. This is for 162 players online!

This also verifies the fact that I was able to host 40 players online with low lags on a 0.5Mbps upload connection.

Qumora itself have a much stronger network than 2.4Mbps, probably 100 or 1000Mbps. But that extra bandwidth is only used for DoS mitigation.

Taking only network usage in mind, this is the only legit post in this thread.
Protection against DoS/DDoS is an entirely different matter. And does not have any relation to how many players you can keep up with.

@WibbenZ @Evil Puncker @Jaed Le Raep @Yuji

Now lets have a look at some real data:
56JR9T.png

This is the current network traffic used to host the OT server www.qumora.com
This is a perfect example since the OT has relatively high exprate, so it is considered demanding in traffic compared to other OT servers. (Except fucked up evo servers with rebirth and shit).

The server currently have 162 players online.
Download speed: 160Kbps
Upload speed: 315Kbps

315Kbps upload speed = 2.4Mbps upload usage. This is for 162 players online!

This also verifies the fact that I was able to host 40 players online with low lags on a 0.5Mbps upload connection.

Qumora itself have a much stronger network than 2.4Mbps, probably 100 or 1000Mbps. But that extra bandwidth is only used for DoS mitigation.

Never said that DoS and DDoS is the same thing, and I also said that its better to have more then less. Why do you reccomend him to host his server with 2mbit upload? Its just plain stupid, its enough if one starts to DDoS him and his server will go down. I would never host a normal server without 100/100mbit.

Never said that DoS and DDoS is the same thing, and I also said that its better to have more then less. Why do you reccomend him to host his server with 2mbit upload? Its just plain stupid, its enough if one starts to DDoS him and his server will go down. I would never host a normal server without 100/100mbit.
The thread title is "How many players can my server handle?" not "Do you recommend me to host an OT with this network".
Do you see the difference? :p

Back