• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

How To Map

The Mapper

Just Imagine
Reaction score
How To Map

Hello everyone in OTLand, I am The Mapper and today I am going to show you how to map and the most common mistakes that people make when it comes to mapping.​

Everything I will teach to you in this tutorial is according to my personal taste.

About Me
A few years ago when I started mapping Remeres Map Editor did not exist, so everything had to be made in what we now as RAW Palette, it was difficult for me to use it and it took me hours to map, but still it was fun.

When RME came out, mapping became "easy" and within a few minutes you could do a lot of things that would take hours. When I downloaded it and started using it I thought it was so easy to use that anyone could map. The autoborder option seemed fantastic, I started using it every single time, I was mapping faster for sure. But then I took a look at my old maps and for some kind of reason I liked more my previous creations. That was when I noticed RME is a great Map Editor but you need to know how to use it properly, when to use autoborder and when you should map the old Raw Pallette way.

Let's Map
When you create grass use the groundbrush tool this will randomize tiles and make the ground look nicer. Picture 1 was made made with groundbrush tool, and picture 2 was made with Raw Palette, you can still make picture 2 look like picture 1 with Raw Palette, but it is faster if you do it with the groundbrush tool.

grass1.png

Now let's add some small grass to picture 1 with Raw Palette, I usually only use the 6129, 6218, and one or two of 6217. Picture 2 was made with Doodad Palette, it was faster but it looks bad and you get a lot of tall grass.

grass2.png

If you were wondering, grass usually changes shape in different tiles.

Now let's divide our grass with a river, notice there is only one square of water dividing our grass in picture 1 it was made with Raw Palette, meanwhile in picture 2 the river is big and looks weird and there is grass in the top of the border, it was made with Groundbrush Palette.

Now it's time to add some trees and bushes. Mapping with Doodad brush gives you random trees that you may not want to be in certain area, for example in picture 2 you can see there is a dwarf tree that does not correspond to the type of area we are mapping. Always try to use similar trees for certain areas.

So there we have it, a small difference between using Raw and Autoborder, next time we will see how to map mountains.
Have Fun!

This is so anticlimatic since I thought it'd be bigger as you say "How to map"
it's just a bit explaining how you could do some nature parts.

None the less it's still cool and well made, will help (hopefully) a lot of people

Maybe tomorrow after one of my final exams I'll upload a mountain section. What do you need help with poopsiedoodle?

Back