• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Solved How to run a server using webhost manager?

Sinth

Argardh.com
Reaction score
Can anyone break this down in just a few basic steps? After 15h of work at the computer today :eek: it'd be great if someone could help me out with this one for tomorrow.. any links to a webhost manager/C-cpanel-tutorial that fits an OT-server?

or filezilla, or whatever

SOLVED

"Solution": I'm using Windows Remote Desktop Connection that comes with Windows 10. Very easy. But the overall opinion here seems to be that the server runs best on Linux/Ubuntu so perhaps not the end-solution.

Funny that I did this stuff almost 15 years ago when in highschool to annoy my friends but had no idea that it even existed now(Windows remote access).. :p

Last edited:
Already signed the deal with a host :/

Perhaps Don Daniello can help me out anyway though? ill contact them and see :)

Thanks mate!

How is it unusual by the way? Is it so uncommon to host your OT on a VPS/DS?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is very common to host OT on a VPS or DS - very uncommon to do so with Cpanel + WHM. In fact it is so uncommon, that I'd suggest nobody has ever done it before.
I can't think of any reason why somebody would want to. Why do you want to? Is there any way you can get out of whatever deal you got yourself into?
You will be paying for a Cpanel + WHM licence on top of the VPS' resource costs, and it is seemingly a lot of trouble for absolutely no gain.

And how would I then administer my databases and the server? I don't have time atm for extensive studying into Linux and do-it-yourself stuff :/

Windows 10 Server Manager?

You would need significantly less study to use Linux than to do what you are proposing, that's for damn sure!
If you want to do this properly, I really strongly suggest going with Don Daniello's service I linked you in an earlier post. There really is very little learning required, and that small amount of 'training' can be provided by Don Daniello if you purchase his professional services. It is also very competitively priced.

I don't know how much you're paying for what you currently have organised, but the ideal solution for you would be to purchase Don Daniello's 20 EUR per month option.
If you are paying significantly less than that for the Cpanel + WHM setup, then it almost certainly does not have the necessary resources associated with it to actually host an OTserver anyway.

As for your question - how would you administer your databases and the server files itself?
Personally I do all my database administration through phpmyadmin (preinstalled and configured with Don Daniello's service)
As for managing the files, I use a piece of windows software called WinSCP. It connects to the Linux VPS and gives you a windows-like drag & drop & open interface. It couldn't be easier.

I already made contact with Mr Daniello that you so persistently advertise for, and he does not let me "purchase" his professioal services without hosting aswell.

I've only ever heard of people using Cpanel w/ WHM for dynamic web[site] hosting - not running game servers. I'm not saying it's impossible, but afaik nobody does it.

I am sorry that I have not been more helpful, best of luck with your project all the same!

Yes running game server on VPS is possible of course, that is what everyone does! I am literally doing it right now. Nobody uses cpanel for game servers though.

This is what it looks like:
afa56ae8d4.png

And this Otsmanager is ofcourse not possible to buy/rent due to the same reason I don't what someone else to host my map(That someone could steal and give out for free)? :/

Don Daniello & Damon both have good reputations, but if you really are all that concerned about it having your data stolen, you CAN implement this all yourself for no additional cost other than renting the VPS from whichever company you wish. NOT a Cpanel reseller though. If you see the words Cpanel, walk away.

For example, while in development I opened an Ubuntu VPS with AWS EC2*. From that point you need only follow one of the tutorials on this forum and you're good to go.

Check this link:
https://otland.net/threads/simple-a...ly-working-dedicated-server-on-ubuntu.212117/

Use @Damon service which have amazing prices. He will help you compiling.. They do not release any files..

Feel I want to enjoy the luxury of having a registered company to handle it so there's easier with legal matters should they not deliver on security. What does compiling mean?

Don Daniello & Damon both have good reputations, but if you really are all that concerned about it having your data stolen, you CAN implement this all yourself for no additional cost other than renting the VPS from whichever company you wish. NOT a Cpanel reseller though. If you see the words Cpanel, walk away.

For example, while in development I opened an Ubuntu VPS with AWS EC2*. From that point you need only follow one of the tutorials on this forum and you're good to go.

Check this link:
https://otland.net/threads/simple-a...ly-working-dedicated-server-on-ubuntu.212117/

Ya I stumbled upon that earlier. I did a quick try with Ubuntu on my own PC and really liked it, but, Win10.. unbeatable. And since I will use Remote Access the windows app I believe is 10x better than this Putty thing my host wants me to use(For Linux. Which they by mistake installed instead of Windows.. uff, now 45 min wait-time)

(cpanel website and database hosting, hosting server myself) i'm using znote aac, website works, database is up, i BUT i cannot start my tfs 0.3.6 server, which is connected to the phpmyadmin database.
Failed connecting to database - MYSQL ERROR: Access denied for user ****'@'localhost (using password: YES) (1045)

Change it to plain just to try? (I know little about this, but if you try to change to plain then at least you will know if it's the password that's wrong)

Hosting on localhost(127.0.0.1) or global iP? Perhaps if you're hosting on you're real ip(global) the connection could be blocked because there is, SOMEWHERE, something that lets you decide if only localhost can access the db or not. Not sure where ive seen this though.. XAMP or Uniserver?

Back