• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Solved How to run a server using webhost manager?

Sinth

Argardh.com
Reaction score
Can anyone break this down in just a few basic steps? After 15h of work at the computer today :eek: it'd be great if someone could help me out with this one for tomorrow.. any links to a webhost manager/C-cpanel-tutorial that fits an OT-server?

or filezilla, or whatever

SOLVED

"Solution": I'm using Windows Remote Desktop Connection that comes with Windows 10. Very easy. But the overall opinion here seems to be that the server runs best on Linux/Ubuntu so perhaps not the end-solution.

Funny that I did this stuff almost 15 years ago when in highschool to annoy my friends but had no idea that it even existed now(Windows remote access).. :p

Last edited:
config.lua = sqlHost = "localhost"
config.php = $config['sqlHost'] = 'localhost';

cPanel has its own database, so neither Uniserv or XAMP. as i said the website is up running and functional. Just can't connect with my tibia server.

Sinth: about your problem, if you're too stubborn to change hosting provider. You might want to ask your hosting provider to setup windows remote management.
This way you can use a powershell to connect to the VPS so you can run windows commands on them. Like for example execute a .exe file (your server). But I doubt a hosting provider will give you sufficient rights to do that, in case they are affraid of users messing up their server. It's much like using SSH for linux but then more depressive and a lot harder. But I doubt that they will set it up for you (too insecure?), but who knows you could always knock on some doors.

Personally, I would switch to a linux system. I'm currently setting up a raspberry pi from my home to run as a server. 30 bucks once no monthly pay and works great so far :)
I am a bit paranoid about these open ports though, I'll closely monitor them and use ip-tables with ofcourse latest security updates.
My raspberry pi solution requires some knowledge of linux though... But it IS a lot cheaper.

Last edited:
Sinth: about your problem, if you're too stubborn to change hosting provider. You might want to ask your hosting provider to setup windows remote management.
This way you can use a powershell to connect to the VPS so you can run windows commands on them. Like for example execute a .exe file (your server). But I doubt a hosting provider will give you sufficient rights to do that, in case they are affraid of users messing up their server. It's much like using SSH for linux but then more depressive and a lot harder. But I doubt that they will set it up for you (too insecure?), but who knows you could always knock on some doors.

Personally, I would switch to a linux system. I'm currently setting up a raspberry pi from my home to run as a server. 30 bucks once no monthly pay and works great so far :)
I am a bit paranoid about these open ports though, I'll closely monitor them and use ip-tables with ofcourse latest security updates.
My raspberry pi solution requires some knowledge of linux though... But it IS a lot cheaper.

Oh, my problems are solved.. gonna edit it right away(my bad). The problem was that my VPS-host installed the wrong shit and clueless to this stuff as I am I didn't realize it, i'm using Windows Remote Access now, super-easy and comes with Win10.

yeah I know about windows remote access it's like vnc but for windows. :)
did you know you can port forward a windows remote access port through a reverse tunneled shell so you can access the desktop from anywhere?

Suppose your laptop gets stolen and you've setup a reverse ssh tunnel with a cronjob on it to point to a sshd server at your home. You can simply ssh into home and then ssh into the laptop if it is connected to the internet from anywhere, it bypasses any firewall restrictions. This way you could for example install keyloggers and such on YOUR laptop that the thief stole... Find out everything you can about the thief and get some payback. I mean, what's wrong with installing software on your own machine?

I shouldn't be posting this but whatever, I just wanted to share it for teh lulz...

Last edited:
I'll be switching my everything to Ubuntu, in time :)

@hayrien , make a new thread instead your issue is not related to this mess i've created here :p .. you'd get help faster for sure.

Back