• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

How to see server/crash log on linux/debian

Tbol

Reaction score
Hello,
how can i create notepad or see who caused crash or shut down the server because im not sure if it was crash or just simple server shutdown for some reason because it happens only once in like 3/4days and im not sure why is that so i need to see log or something why its happening.

Hello,
how can i create notepad or see who caused crash or shut down the server because im not sure if it was crash or just simple server shutdown for some reason because it happens only once in like 3/4days and im not sure why is that so i need to see log or something why its happening.

There are a few easy ways to tell the difference. One would be to ensure that "core dumps" can be produced without file size constraints by running "ulimit -c unlimited" prior to launching the application. A second way is to start your server using a script that will check the return value of the application after it closes (a return value of 0 would signify a clean shutdown).

Checking which user crashed your server can be tricky, but checking if a user shutdown your server should be easy as you can log commands.

There are a few easy ways to tell the difference. One would be to ensure that "core dumps" can be produced without file size constraints by running "ulimit -c unlimited" prior to launching the application. A second way is to start your server using a script that will check the return value of the application after it closes (a return value of 0 would signify a clean shutdown).

Checking which user crashed your server can be tricky, but checking if a user shutdown your server should be easy as you can log commands.
not sure about ulimit -c unlimited. About using script that checks return value is time consuming stuff when it happens randomly. About checking which user did it is not important information for me atm.

not sure about ulimit -c unlimited. About using script that checks return value is time consuming stuff when it happens randomly. About checking which user did it is not important information for me atm.

You can make a script in bash or something that will print out in a file when the crash happens based on the return value of the application.

Back