• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

How to use upscaled sprites (64x64 or bigger) in OTCv8

Erikas Kontenis

Board Moderator
Staff member
Board Moderator
Reaction score
This tutorial was made for a reason to support newbie OTS devs. I am not owner of any tools or solutions done neither I really promote to use OTCv8 but nevertheless this OTClient fork have already built-in everything you need regarding the support of upscaled sprites so you can investigate or play with them further. There are countless threads in support board of how to use upscaled sprites in the game client and if you were looking for a solution you are lucky cause this tutorial is for you.

Prerequisities
Little Know-How
  • You don't need to edit a single line of code in client or server files.
  • You will be supporting two different formats where you store your graphical assets. For playing with RME you still be using .SPR and see sprites in 32x32. While in game-client you will be supporting .CWM format where you will see your sprites in 64x64 (or bigger) size.
  • In your client things folder "OnlyFortressClient\data\things\1098" you want to put only two files Tibia.cwm and Tibia.dat (do not add there Tibia.spr cause OTClient will load this firstly)
  • Extract images of .SPR to a folder by executing command: npm run unpack-spr ./binary/Tibia.spr ./sprites/tibia
  • The tool can also convert you images from 32x32 to 64x64 by executing command: npm run convert-to-png ./sprites/tibia ./sprites/png64 64
  • Finally compile the converted 64x64 sprites to Tibia.cwm format by executing command: npm run pack-cwm ./sprites/png64 ./binary/Tibia.cwm
  • Use your regular open tibia tools to update your .SPR & .DAT files however after modifying .SPR repeat the process to extract sprites and compile to .CWM format.

This is the simple tutorial explaining and providing everything that you should need to play with this. It is really that simple the only thing is that since OTCv8 were closed developed the available features and tools are little to no known for newcomers.

Note: Upscaling with the provided tool doesn't bring the best results. But there are hot topics how to upscale with AI and have great results. I hope this know-how will help more for enthusiasts regarding the AI upscaling results.

Example of 64x64 sprites in-game
1712669749039.png

Example of 96x96 sprites in-game
1712669697278.png
Example of 128x128 sprites in-game
1712669717119.png

Example of 128x128 vs 32x32 sprites in-game. (Up picture 128x128, down 32x32)
1712669778491.png

Last edited:
for scailing 100$/100k sprites, but as there are a lot of AI development You can give a try to scale it Yourself, but thats not as easy at it seems. 3 years ago i spent over 2 months to train/improve my AI model and to implement postprocessing fixing some glitches.
Post automatically merged:

the main idea behind this feature was to design new sprites directly in 64x64 or bigger base. As a lot of ppl have already thousands of 32x32 sprites, they needed initial sprites scailing at the very beginning

Last edited:
Back