• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

HTML5 Browser Client, Node.js Server full-custom implementation.

Well Amsterdam is the nearest city then. :p

very funny :p
yLO4Hge.png

In the last little while:
- Stairs/holes/rope can handle items now
- Added item requirements for using objects. (May migrate to Use with.. at some point)
- Improved AI scheduler
- Fixed players/monsters not being cleaned up on the client.
- Added invisibility feature (unlike in tibia, invisible = invisible to creatures AND players)
- Teleport
- Bullet effects
- Ammo requirements for some weapons.
- Item drag effect (not sure if keeping this)
- Countable items auto-group on the floor
- Fixed auto-save on shutdown

Began laying out architecture for multi-server model, allowing (potentially) even custom servers. I basically want to split the world up into smaller segments to keep things running smoothly. There's an opportunity for parallel universe-type things. Trying to make it so a portal can transfer you to a different server in a nice and clean way.

Multi-server means multi-map.. considering the possibility of player-created servers. Switching to a server can be made as simple as a /command

Transforming it into a zombie apocalypse game. Anyone watch Walking Dead?

Transforming it into a zombie apocalypse game. Anyone watch Walking Dead?

Really? Looking forward to see how it turns out! And yes, following Walking Dead since day 1, love it :)

This is really nice, the main benefit I see from using NodeJS is the ease of clustering.
You could sync all gameserver instances using a redis pub/sub or similar system.
If you ever opensource this project let me know, I'd like to contribute on my free time.

I AM STUCK!! PFFT

teleport me to temple xD

User: Amiroslo

Say /die to die
Lol

Who was the genius who filled the world with fire and teleports? ;'D

This is really nice, the main benefit I see from using NodeJS is the ease of clustering.
You could sync all gameserver instances using a redis pub/sub or similar system.
If you ever opensource this project let me know, I'd like to contribute on my free time.

Thanks :), Yeah, I'm looking forward to trying out clustering. Been doing a lot of thinking the past few weeks.
I figure a Node.js server might be too slow to host 100's of players on one instance, but breaking the world up into smaller instances, could break up the load.

Thought of a few "smart" ways to load-balance as well.. for example if a particular instance gets crowded, the game could make it harder to enter the zone, and create various incentives to go to another zone.

Been experimenting with a focus on smarter game AI. It gets so repetitive/boring when the game logic follows a simple system like Tibia.. It would make things more interesting if the game engine adapted to player stats/actions.. with a bit of randomness too.

Been working on some interesting features like potion "withdrawal" (anti-effects after the effect wears off, intended to limit the abuse of boosting items), along with anti-withdrawal medicine that can help ease the anti-effects.

The build menu will soon have material requirements to build items, like wood/metal that has to be harvested, and sufficient skills in order to build things.

Also looking at some ways of adding "hallucinations" like fake creatures, false sprites, and illusions.

As far as open-sourcing goes, I am exploring the idea, and do want to allow others to contribute - but right now my focus is on allowing players to contribute artwork and building rather than code. This might change in the future, once I figure out a nice system of allocating payments to contributors. (I'd like to pay developers for their code, and keep is semi-open rather than fully-open).

Cheers,
boop

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays/Warm Wishes/Kind Hello.

Some exciting news :D

-Updated graphics and style - the game setting is now a desert paradise island. The architecture and creatures will take on an "Ancient Egypt"-ish theme, zombies becoming mummies, pharaohs and other undead beings.

- A huge performance gain has been realized by disabling a mousemove handler in the PIXI InteractionManager. Before, the FPS would drop to ~10-15 when the mouse was moving, now it stays at 60fps always. This makes the game MUCH more responsive.

- The world map gets saved every server shutdown, so everything (except NPC/Spawns for now) will stay as it was!

It's looking a whole lot like Version 0.9 now. (sooo close to 1.0). It seems like V 1.0 may be ready as soon as Jan 2016!!
A big thanks to everyone who has been following the progress and signing on now and then, and good luck on your projects!

Back