• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

I need help to learn spriting (making/drawing new sprites)

Guxi

Developer
Reaction score
I was retired pretty much from otservers, and i came up with desire for making sprites...
I'm using linux (mint;13) and i would try to use gimp image editor for making sprites, if you know any other better image editors for spriting let me know :).
I was wondering on what resolution should i set image for making ordinary sprite (sword;armor;any item)? cause ofcourse i can't make a sprite for sword with 800x600...
In what format to save my finished sprites, and how to make animated ones. (wand of inferno: fire that comes from wand is animated)
That would be all i can ask for now, if you got any tips or things i should know feel free to tell me.

Thank you guys!

Weapons and inventory items are 32x32, I think you can use any multiple of 32x32 e.g 64x64 and so on.

As for a sprite program, I recommend Photoshop CS3, CS5 or CS6

like Peroxide said, anything that is pickupable has to be 32x32, other sprites that aren't pickupable(like walls, trees, etc..) can be any size you want, as long as they are multiples of 32
32x32 | 32x64 | 64x32 | 64x64 | 96x32 | 96x64 | ...

about programs, I can't really say, I hardly do sprites, the only ones I handle are ripped ones, so I only need to use the normal paint to fix small details

I got new question: when im making animated sprites, should i save them as GIF? if not what other format.?

thx for helping :)

I got new question: when im making animated sprites, should i save them as GIF? if not what other format.?

Yes. Tibia uses some other format but if I am correct all OTLand spriters use .gif format.

I think the only problem in paint are the shadows. It's hella hard to do it.
yes, that's true, thats why I said I only use paint on rips since they already have the shadows and the AA already done :p

you use .gif to show them to other peopl, but when you actually want to place them into the client, each frame is its own .bmp

Back
Top Bottom