• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Interview with Umrath – An Ex-Cipsoft Product Manager

Lelodro

khé?
Solutions
Reaction score
GitHub
brewsterl
Hello Umrath, thank you for accepting this interview!

Can we know more about you? Tell us more about who is Umrath in real life.

Well, big one to start with. ;)

Hello everyone and thank you for having me. Lot’s of information about me is actually publically or semi-publically available. So I’m not spoiling to much by saying that I’m a almost 40 years old, father, tech fan and electro car enthusiast. I like playing games (big suprise here!).

I started to work for CipSoft in August 2003 and worked there, with a break of 3 years from 2007 to 2010 until May this year.

How did you start working on CipSoft? What was the most you liked in working on CipSoft?

Knightmare (he works at the content department) told me that CipSoft is looking for a system administrator. I applied and got the job.The best about CipSoft are the people that work there.

Which were your roles and main tasks? What was your big fear or challenge when facing those tasks?
and why did you decide to leave CipSoft?

Until 2007 I worked as a sysadmin. I was mostly responsible for the servers. That means almost all new game servers that started between 2003 and 2007 were set up be me.

After returning to CipSoft in 2010 I helped to finish Fiction Fighters. It was supposed to be the next game to be published but got binned when it became clear, that it won’t take off. So in 2012 I joined the Tibia team as operations manager and once again became responsible for the game servers.

Fear? I’m usually not afraid of things. Especially nothing work related. I like challenges. I like to get a challenging task. That might sound weird but I liked the challenge the ddos attacks provided because it forced me to think out of the box and search for solutions that others didn’t see.

So, are you the one who I must blame for my kick deaths? j/k

Haha. In a way … ;)

Do you think that BattlEye is the final solution against bots? (If so why Did CipSoft wait for long to implementing it?)

BattlEye is a really really good chance to solve most bot related problems. At least I think so and I’m pretty sure that most people at CipSoft do so as well.

It took so long because the idea to let people run additional software on their computer that isn’t under CipSoft’s control wasn’t really popular until it became clear that this is the most promising way to go and the questionnaire revealed that the vast majority doesn’t have any problems with it.

Recently CipSoft stated that they will evaluate the impact of the activation of BattlEye in the game servers in their revenues, what does this mean exactly?

It got explained quite detailed in the news that got published with it: Instead of switching BattlEye on for all servers right away they want to do it slowly and see how the economic situation changes while doing so.

Maybe an uncomfortable question: if it’s well-known that botters have been ruining the game and CipSoft economy, why Cipsoft is still analysing the activation in all servers. Would not benefit the activation in all server once for all and for everyone?

I do think so. Apparently the bosses are not so convinced.

Talking about chances, do you think it’s a good chance to bring back old features to Tibia that were removed due the botting issue? Like the tasks for low level with good prizes at the end i.g Hell Gate tasks?

One of the changes (essentially removing rune making from the game) made me stop playing Tibia as well. I hope that they change at least some of the features – but I’m not too optimistic about it.

Was it a good idea the removal of the Gamemasters for the player’s experience and for CipSoft itself? Don’t you think that GMs would do other tasks in game, like answering questions in the Tech Boards, moderating the forums in general, supporting in game event organised by fansites, etc?

I do think that it was a good idea to remove the game masters from Tibia. It caused a lot of problems and work and the benefits couldn’t outweigh those. You don’t need game masters to answer questions.

What’s your vision of Tibia within 5 years?

Tough question because a lot depends on the decisions made by the executives. If they continue the way they are heading to right now then there is a fair chance that Tibia will still be around in 5 years – but a lot smaller.

Let’s say that all important decisions about Tibia rest on your shoulder. What would you do for making it better?

I would change the priorities:
– get on Steam asap
– get the connection issues under control
– activate BattlEye on all servers tomorrow
– double the size of the content department
– be more relaxed regarding punishments for statements
– communicate much more openly with the players
– create an iOS and Android client

Wow, you should come back to CipSoft! But I would open a campaign to a couple of features: bring back the GMs but not for rule enforcement only, but to in game events, and bring back new server types and full retro PVP 7.4, but wait… a question regarding this is coming!

A hacker accessed to the Tibia files like 10 years ago, he spread a lot of sensitive data (Read more about it here). For example it was possible to figuring out that it was not possible to complete some “quests” like the Sword of Fury. Actually, the hacker stated that he didn’t mean to break hearts and hopes, but some players are disappointed because that were no solvable mysteries. Many players wonder about if there are still hidden secrets quests on the Tibia lands I mean if they are solvable or not. Do you know if they make possible to complete quests like the serpentine tower or the sword of fury for example?

I never looked at the content more than what was necessary to do my job. So I cannot answer that question. I simply do not know.

I imagined it so. By the way, the hacker usurped a CipSoft Employee by social engineering, it was you who he changed the password, if you wasn’t then who was? And what happened to that guy?

It wasn’t a CipSoft employee. He attacked the data center and one employee there was naive enough to not follow the protocol.

Do you know what happened to him? Was he fired or something?

I don’t know. Security is a mine field. It’s very easy to trip and make a mistake. If everyone would be fired for a single mistake then there wouldn’t be anyone left to work.

Do you think that tibia needs more quests like the Paradox Tower?

One of the major selling points of Tibia are the quests, the mysteries and the vast maps. Yes, there should be many more quests like this and that’s one of the reasons why I think that the content department needs a lot more manpower.

It’s a big wish of many players the access to official servers based in 7.4 versions; let’s call it FULL RETRO SERVERS. Some unofficial servers are dragging Tibians to their new game servers, like Medivia for example: Old pvp rules, GM system and even unique features. Does it represent a threat to tibia? What’s your opinion in this matter?

I think the idea of 7.4 servers is a bit of nostalgic and wishful thinking. People don’t really remember what problems existed back then and only remember the good parts. I would argue that most people don’t really want 7.x back but rather a couple of feature to work the way they did back then. It’s one thing to start an Open Tibia server and a whole different story to run it for years reliably.

Medivia has been online during many years and their servers got more players online than a regular Open PVP servers. Don’t you think that this fact is contradictory to your statement? Is there a hope for a server like this in Tibia, or we must forget about it?

Medivia has a good chance to actually make it. But most others OT servers popped up and vanished after a while.

Why do you do you consider that Medivia has the chances? We already know that the legal issues is not your area. Do you think that Medivia is a different game Tibia, or just a copy? Why CipSoft is lenient with games like Medivia or Zezenia?

I think Medivia is on its way to become a different game. If they manage to do so before CipSoft decides to actually do something legally then they might have a chance. I cannot really answer why CipSoft isn’t doing anything because I don’t really understand it myself.

Does it represent a threat to tibia?

Players wonder why CipSoft keep raising their product prices. They stated it in a news note because of the inflation rates. I know you are not an economist. But is it really a strong reason? Isn’t Germany a strong country in its economy? Would you share your personal opinion?

Still the prices are rising. Everything is becoming more expensive over time. A natural effect called inflation. The price increase is very moderate and barely compensates for the inflation. I don’t see anything wrong with it.

(checking the whole interview, you missed to answer: and why did you decide to leave CipSoft?)

Oh, sorry about that! Not that easy to keep track. CipSoft is a small company in the games industry. So naturally the possibilities to develop yourself are rather limited after a while. I have seen a lot and most things that interest me and I wanted a new challenge. Additionally I get a lot more money now and overall better working conditions in my new job.

umrath_tibiamex_etienreseller2-178x300.png

Now some short questions: Favourite hobby?

Currently: electric cars and influencing people to rethink their choices which car they should get. I even run a blog and a youtube channel. (can provide the links if interested)

Yes, please
Youtube Channel: Thoralf Will

German though

Das gut :D

Druid, Paladin, Sorcerer or Knight?

Druid

Quest lines, or Tasks?

Quests

7.4, 8.6 or Tibia 11?

The one where I could make runes for profit.

Munich or Berlin?

Munich, because that’s closer to where I live right now. But I like Berlin too.

Craban or Delany?

I like both and consider both to be friends. I like Craban for sticking to what he believes to be right and fighting for it and Delany for his diplomatic skills.

Carlin o Thais?

Thais

I’m probably as old school as it gets.

Thank you for your time my friend definitely you are an old school lover, many players like me want to do mana sitting and get profit making runes, I hope they bring this again in some future, I hope you had liked the questions:D

Sure, was fun! :)

umrath_pirata-768x1024.jpg

Credits: Etien - Interview with Umrath - An Ex-Cipsoft Product Manager

Back