• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Introduction to Hosting: Part One and Two: What to Look for and What Companies to Pick.

dominique120

Science & Reason
Senator
Premium User
Solutions
Reaction score
Introduction to Hosting:

Picking a server, OS, choosing hardware, and setting up the server is no easy task for the beginner so I decided to create. this guide to help beginners understand what to look for and what it means.

First lets start with four principal hardware components, what they do and why they matter:

CPU:
The CPU, or Central processing unit is the component that handles all the instructions given to it by the program. This program is your OT server(TFS).
It matters most when you have a very script intensive server like a war server where there a great deal of things happening every moment or when you have hundreds of players.

RAM:
RAM, or Random Access Memory is volatile memory used by the computer to store information needed on a moments notice for processing.
RAM is important because when you start your server, the map and all the scripts get loaded to it and if you dont have enough empty memory at first you will get errors telling you that the server could not allocate or that the server is out of memory. This will often result in crashes. Large RL map server usually require at least 6 or 8 GBs of free ram to start, more is recommended to have the serer running with many players, this does not mean you need to run out and get 128GBs of RAM, thanks pointless overkill.

HDD:
HDD or Hard disk drive is the component used for storage, unlike RAM it is not volatile, this means that once the power goes off, the data saved on it will persist indefinitely.
The hard drive matters because all the queries that get executed pass through the hard drive one way or another, so whenever you save the server the HDD gets used alot, and if you have 1000 players that need saving it will require some decent hardware for sensible times. For servers that rely alot on queries(war server for example) a fast hard drive is best. SSDs are the successor to HDDs and they are very fast, but can be expensive.

Network:
While this is not a component of the actual server(the network card is the component that handles the network) it is probably the most important component. This is the link between the server and all your players. If it is slow, all your players will suffer.
A large amount of players will necessitate a greater speed to have as much latitude as possible for all the players to get acceptable ping.

Operating systems. Why do they matter and which is the best option?

Operating systems are an intermediary between you and the hardware. There are many operating systems to choose from and here I will go over a few of the most common ones and I will give me recommendations below.

Linux:
You will often hear that Linux is the best OS for hosting servers and this is very true. Linux in its minimal configuration allows for servers to run un-hidered because the operating system is so streamlined. Setting it up can be a bit tricky if you are new and getting used to using it with the console is also a bit complicated for beginners. Once you get used to it you will find that it is very easy to use.

Linux comes in a number of "flavors" I'll give a bit of a description of them here starting from the main OS going to the ones that are based of them.

Debian:
Debian is my personal favorite for hosting servers because it is commonly used and has alot of information on internet. It does not release updates so often so if you plan on having a server running for a long time it is a good option since you will not have to update it all the time and the software it comes with has been proven to be stable after many tests.

Ubuntu:
It is a derivative of Debian. It has a slightly faster release cycle and most things that are done in Debian can be done in Ubuntu in exactly the same way. I personally dont like it because of its privacy invasions(sending data to amazon without consent), its departure from GNU philosophy and because its owner(canonical) is a corporation that tries to exploit you and make money from you without you knowing.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux:
This is an Enterprise operating system and you will rarely, if ever see it in the OT community.

CentOS:
CentOS is a copy of RHEL with the only difference being the logos and name. It is a distro that focuses on stability so they rarely update software unless for security fixes or small enhancements. It is a good alternative if you prefer to use it

Fedora:
Fedora is Red Hat's playground. It has a very fast release cycle and you will always get new features and software. Official support for it expires after 18 months, compared to CentOS' support that expires after 12 years.

Windows:
We all know it and we all use it or have used it at least once. Servers usually offer the Windows server line of products instead of the desktop version. There is not much difference between the server version and the desktop version. its mostly a fee security enhancements, managing programs and easy of access for server features.
The problem with Windows servers is that it always incurs extra costs and can be tricky to set up properly(use xampp is not considered setting it up, not to mention insecure and just bad practice)

My recommendation:
Debian 7 if you will use an old revision like TFS 0.4 and CentOS 7 if you want to use TFS 1.1.

VPS vs Dedicated Server

VPS:
A VPS or Virtual Private Server is a virtual space of a physical server allocated to a person. Thes servers tend to loose some performance because they are not real hardware and the server must emulate its instructions. also, sometimes a same server can have many VPS and this could hinder performance even more.

Types of VPS servers:
Sometimes you will see that a server uses OpenVZ or KVM. These are different approaches to the VPS.

KVM fully virtualizes everything. The entire OS and its execution is emulated in a closed off environment. While this is most secure it can cause a bit of a performance penalty, however with dotays hardware its minimal.
OpenVZ offers an enclosed environment and filesystem however it is just a "quarantined" area of execution and all the instructions still go trough the kernel to the physical hardware, thus there is no performance penalty. This however is limited only to Linux.

Dedicated server:
Getting a dedicated server is like renting a physical computer, plain simple. All of it is yours to use as you desire, you get all the raw performance of physical hardware.

If you have anything to add let me know in PM and if you would like to correct something let me know in PM.

tl;dr: I dont care, read the text and stop crying.

Hosting companies: There are so many!

In this section I will post a list of hosting services I have used or that friends have used> I will gather experiences and put a small description and a pros an cons section.
https://www.ovh.com/us/index.xml
OVH:
OVH is a French company that provides a number of services from web hosting, vps, domains and dedicated servers.They offer servers in France and Canada with a global presence that helps reduce ping to their servers.
Pros:
  • Good support
  • Good hardware options
  • Good ddos protection
  • Great network
  • DDOS protected
Cons:
  • Monthly fee could be a bit costly
  • Expensive setup fee
  • They dont always have server available right away
SYS, as it is often called, is a company owned by OVH. They offer only dedicated servers and they offer the same features as OVH servers.
Pros:
  • Affordable
  • Good network
  • Decent hardware
  • DDOS protected
Cons:
  • Support is a bit slow and annoying at times
  • Expensive set up fee
  • They dont always have server available right away
Kimsufi is another company owned by OVH.
Pros:
  • Very affordable
  • DDOS protected
Cons:
  • No support

Hetzner is a German company that offers some good servers but they are not DDOS protected.
Pros:
  • Decent prices
  • Good network
Cons:
  • Support is a bit slow and cumbersome at times
  • Setup fees
  • No DDOS protection

Server4You has some really affordable servers with no setup fees that are great for hosting small servers
Pros:
  • No set up fees
  • Good hardware
  • They always have sales
Cons:
  • No ddos protection
  • A bit expensive
  • Support is a bit slow
  • Horrible ssh upload speeds(at least when I had it probably fixed now)

Pros:
  • Live support
  • Decent prices
Cons:
  • No DDOS protection
  • Setup fee
The company that hosts three of the biggest OT servers comes with a recomendation from experienced hoster @Amoaz
Pros:
  • Very affordable
  • DDoS Protection
  • Flexible configurations
  • No set up fee
Cons:
  • Not to many Operating systems to pick from

If you want to add a server please let me know in a PM.

I have personally used all the servers(either by owning them or by someone else) in this list except ServerLoft and Hetzner. For these two I have collected the experiences of people who owned them.

Thanks to @HalfAway and @Zerak for their input.

Last edited:
As i see that OVH is so good but as you said its too expensive (Starts from 81$) :( this host not for beginners and i wanted to host from SYS but they got 250 MB connection only :( It is slow not like the others cuz of there is 1 GB connection on some companies and (A 50% discount is applied to the price of the server during the beta test until 31/03/2015. Non-renewable commitment of 14 days.) non renewable and check Kimsufi too but i felt it bad :S i just need to know is 250 MB and 32 GB/ 1866 MHz Ram (game 3 on SYS)?

Best Regards
CR Team

As i see that OVH is so good but as you said its too expensive (Starts from 81$) :( this host not for beginners and i wanted to host from SYS but they got 250 MB connection only :( It is slow not like the others cuz of there is 1 GB connection on some companies and (A 50% discount is applied to the price of the server during the beta test until 31/03/2015. Non-renewable commitment of 14 days.) non renewable and check Kimsufi too but i felt it bad :S i just need to know is 250 MB and 32 GB/ 1866 MHz Ram (game 3 on SYS)?

Best Regards
CR Team

250 is good. If you have lots and lots of players you may want to consider upgrading.

250 is good. If you have lots and lots of players you may want to consider upgrading.
I just need it for start only but the bad thing too is non-renewable :( and i can't wait until 31/3 until they make it renewable

Awesome basic tutorial many newbies can take a lot of advantage of this. I am more interested in providers. European and USA providers. Recommendations flaws. If you can add a section about it.

Awesome basic tutorial many newbies can take a lot of advantage of this. I am more interested in providers. European and USA providers. Recommendations flaws. If you can add a section about it.

Most of the companies I have listed here have servers in Europe and America

Most of the companies I have listed here have servers in Europe and America

When you say ddos protected it means they offer ddos protection even thought they might have problems later or you mean that it is actually very good vs ddos attacks?

Its too expensive (69 USD) with installation and i don't have enough money for this i got only like (44 USD) :D may you tell me something cheaper than that one?

Kimsufi is very affordable. Online.net is also good but I have not added it to the list because I have no experience with it.

When you say ddos protected it means they offer ddos protection even thought they might have problems later or you mean that it is actually very good vs ddos attacks?

I used to own a server on SYS and I ddosed my own server and I had no problems with it. Halfaway, who hosts on OVH tells me that he once got hit heavily by a DDoS but did not experience any problems with his network.

there is https://www.legionhoster.com/
i recommanded using it i'm using it and never face any problem and it has good prices and no extra price if u gonna use windows in there windows=linux no more extra prices!

DDos protected
Affordable
Very Good support
Great Network
No setup fees!

Last edited:
Hello guys I have a question. According to this post I have bought 1 month server VPS from Kimsufi and according to the tutorial of @Damon [Video Tutorial] Setup TFS + ZnoteAAC on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Linux Server

I have set-up my server and It's working. The problem or the question is: when I close the program I am managing the server, the OT is closed. Is there any form to stay the OT server 24/7 online without being my PC 24/7 online with the program Online?

Hello guys I have a question. According to this post I have bought 1 month server VPS from Kimsufi and according to the tutorial of @Damon [Video Tutorial] Setup TFS + ZnoteAAC on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Linux Server

I have set-up my server and It's working. The problem or the question is: when I close the program I am managing the server, the OT is closed. Is there any form to stay the OT server 24/7 online without being my PC 24/7 online with the program Online?
You can use a program called Screen. With screen you can make a session that will be alive for as long the server is running.

To install screen do following:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install screen

To get your server up and running under Screen session:

screen -S tibiaserver (Creates a new session named 'tibiaserver')
./otsBinary (Starts up your OTS)
ctrl+a+d ( Detaches your actual session from the just created 'tibiaserver' session that is managed by Screen )

After you detached yourself you can close your SSH program, turn your pc off and go take a nap because your server is up and running.

Back