• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Is it really worth to change from tfs 0.4 to 1.2?

Marko999x

999x era
Premium User
Solutions
Reaction score
As the title says is it really worth to change from tfs 0.4 to 1.2?
Would I get even more support from otland by using tfs 1.2?
Would it makes sense even if im not a scripter at all?
If yes could you link me tfs 1.2 please? thanks

it'll be worth it in the long run rather than sticking with old protocols & engine versions just because it's what you know
nobody makes new systems or scripts for 0.x anymore, it's better to move forward with the rest of us than to get behind and putting your foot deeper into 0.x
i personally rarely ever bother with threads in support where people still use 0.3.6 or 0.4 because it's such a hassle to bother looking up old functions
especially since i don't have a test environment for 0.x
you don't even need to be a scripter to take advantage of what newer tfs versions offer, there are systems that work already that you couldn't put in 0.x (easily), 1.x sources are much cleaner and easier to compile
otland/forgottenserver

i used to be spooked to swap from 0.4 to 1.2 about 2 years back, i finally bothered to try it and saw how much cleaner scripting was and the possibilities with newer clients, never went back to 0.4 after that
the main thing you have to know to swap from 0.4 to 1.2 is the way it loads xml files
in 0.3 you have
XML:
event="script" value="some_script.lua"
XML:
event="function" value="xxx"
but now in 1.x they've been changed to
XML:
script="some_script.lua"
XML:
function="xxx"

the rest of the conversion might just be functions you have to replace in some scripts, but for the most part tfs keeps backwards compatibility (that's what compat.lua is for) so that you don't have to change old functions to new ones

Back