• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

LUA - Brand New

dday9

Reaction score
Personally I'm a .Net guy but I know several different languages such as XNA, HTML5, CSS3, Python, JavaScript, and I know a bit of C++. I'm wanting to learn LUA and I remember that whenever I was really heavy in OT, a lot of the scripts were LUA scripts. I was wanting to know if there are any good tutorials out there. As far as I can tell, there are only really books. And books are expensive(cash is something I aint got!).

Oh wow, I feel like an idiot. I suppose LUA's website should've been the first place I looked.

I'm wanting to actually use LUA with a VB.Net program I'm writing. Basically the Visual Basic will be only for the GUI aspect and the LUA will be for the advanced stuff behind it. My goal is to create a JavaScript IDE with a fully equipped syntax highlighter.

Other than that what other uses could LUA be used for? As in what projects have you implemented LUA in?

Most notable uses for Lua is its use as scripting language embedding it, but as Lua's author says, Lua is a perfect configuration language and I use it intensively in my project rather than XML files to store (and parse) users profile, program settings and so on.

My main uses for Lua are: embedding it as scripting language + configuration language + a tool to automatize the process to write my C++/C# code through string.format in certain cases.

Also, I did use Lua a few times to write some math stuff dealing with matrix in the college (like people uses MatLab) and it's really good, saves a lot of time.

Not trying to be a douche, but the right term is 'Lua' (http://www.lua.org/about.html under "What's in a name?" tab)

Back