• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

LUA Scripting Contest

Azakelis

Premium User
Premium User
Solutions
Reaction score
1200px-Lua-Logo.svg.png

LUA SCRIPTING CONTEST
Time to give the technical artists the spotlight; after all, they're the reason people are able to map and create these servers. With Kaspar 's blessing, let's get a series of scripting contests going for the community, shall we?!

THEME: MINIGAME
Minigame - that means anything differing from the standard Tibia gameplay - a minigame has its own rules and goals.
An example of a minigame would be a snake minigame inside of an Open Tibia Server.
Let your creative freedom do the rest!

DEADLINE:
The deadline is:
29.04.2021 00:00:00 UTC+0
(29th of April 2021, midnight - Coordinated Universal Time +0 hours)
Check the difference between your time and UTC+0

SUBMISSION:
Each contestant needs to submit the work piece before the specified deadline.
The latest commit before the deadline will be taken into consideration.

Submission process:
1. Create a private github/gitlab repository
2. Invite me to the repository with read permission
a) Github: Azakelis
b) Gitlab: Azakelis
3. Send a private message to me on OTLand with link to your repository

FIRST ROUND:
1st round winner will be decided arbitrarily by REIGNCITY Studios based on:
a) Code quality (readability, maintainability and extendibility)
b) Creativity
c) Code being error-prone
d) Ease of installation, use and configuration
e) Stability and performance

SECOND ROUND:
2nd round winner will be decided by the community based via classic popular vote (the private repositories in the first round will be public with links provided).

PRIZE:
The winner of the first round of contest will receive OTLand premium paid by the REIGNCITY Studios (The Deivos Shards: Azakelis team).
Second round winner gets bragging rights (more important thing obviously)

RULES:
1. The script MUST be compatible with the latest commit (as of this post submission) merged to the master branch of the TFS github repository that being: Latest commit
2. You CANNOT modify in any way:
a) Engine sources
b) Client or client files
3. Each submission CANNOT have more than one person working on it
4. Submitted work HAS to be made specifically for the contest (no previous work submissions allowed)
5. Any external LUA libraries are ALLOWED
6. The repository HAS to include installation instructions in readme.md
7. The repository CAN include any type of showoff that being: a video link, gif, documentation, text and any other types of media
8. By submitting your work you AGREE to the repository being public after the first round ends

Again, special thanks to Kaspar for letting us get some fun going for more than just the mappers and spriters!

Good luck, and have fun!

So TFS only with Cipsoft client, OTC and modules are not allowed? If so then that sucks :( My Battleship game would fit here.
Yes, that is correct. This decision was made to standarize the rating process and to even the grounds for contestants. That's a tradeoff for making it more fair.

If only @GhostX would learn from that for the mapping contests
I don't get your point. Custom sprites aren't allowed and sometimes we open it for both rme and ingame to offer flexibility. If I restrict it to rme, I get moaned at, if I restrict it to in game, I get moaned at.. If I allow both... I get moaned at.

I can't win xD

On topic - looks good - will follow

I don't get your point. Custom sprites aren't allowed and sometimes we open it for both rme and ingame to offer flexibility. If I restrict it to rme, I get moaned at, if I restrict it to in game, I get moaned at.. If I allow both... I get moaned at.

I can't win xD

It's not about custom sprites, it's about using a standard set of sprites. Someone using Tibia 7 or 8 sprites has significantly lower chances of producing a better looking product than someone using tibia 10+ sprites

The damn water sprite alone makes a massive difference

It's not about custom sprites, it's about using a standard set of sprites. Someone using Tibia 7 or 8 sprites has significantly lower chances of producing a better looking product than someone using tibia 10+ sprites

A poor workman blames his tools ;)

wtf hahaha
is it our problem if someone maps on 7 or 8 client?
lol

A poor workman blames his tools ;)
Take a sample size of 10 identical map pieces, put them side by side, one using e.g. 8.6 SPR files & the other using 10.98 SPR files, then hold a community vote which one looks better. Pretty much a guarantee the 10.x will mostly win, depending on what the map contents are

wtf hahaha
is it our problem if someone maps on 7 or 8 client?
lol
You completely missed the point

740920818376245350.png

Use your head a little bit and think if you've ever seen an actual contest where participants dont use the same tools? Simple example, in a school exam every student also has the same exam papers

1st round winner will be decided arbitrarily by REIGNCITY Studios
Why community can't decide? Who's in the jury? Is it someone from here? What's their competency?

Use your head a little bit and think if you've ever seen an actual contest where participants dont use the same tools? Simple example, in a school exam every student also has the same exam papers
You can pick up 10.98 editor anytime, nobody forbids you to do that. Mapping in outdated versions is only a participant's choice.

Why community can't decide? Who's in the jury? Is it someone from here? What's their competency?

You can pick up 10.98 editor anytime, nobody forbids you to do that. Mapping in outdated versions is only a participant's choice.

The community does get to vote, states it just below.

Yeah, but just in a second round, which is not prized if i'm right? What those rounds are rly?
You're welcome to create a popularity contest and supply the prize yourself if you wish, just shoot the mods a DM

popularity contests never show true skill

PRIZE:
The winner of the first round of contest will receive OTLand premium paid by the REIGNCITY Studios (The Deivos Shards: Azakelis team).
Second round winner gets bragging rights (more important thing obviously)
premium threads are dead anyway

What do you mean?
Resources mostly. You are working with TFS only and can't use custom sprites or anything (not even OTC). You are going to be spamming magic/distance effects and items (creating and removing if you are making dynamic minigame). It's like trying to make a snake game in ASCII. There is NOTHING within contest rules that could be made and actually shows good (at least) Lua skill. This is not about Lua scripting skill, this is about who makes the most out of TFS limits.

I can't win xD

Imagine moaning at a Ghost. 🤣

Resources mostly. You are working with TFS only and can't use custom sprites or anything (not even OTC). You are going to be spamming magic/distance effects and items (creating and removing if you are making dynamic minigame). It's like trying to make a snake game in ASCII. There is NOTHING within contest rules that could be made and actually shows good (at least) Lua skill. This is not about Lua scripting skill, this is about who makes the most out of TFS limits.
Okay so how would you like us to approach this the next time? We are open to feedback ☺️ Ofc we try our best but its hard to get it fair and balanced for everyone the first go 🤓

Back