• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

My first program, need help

Maybe making a pogram like Remere's Map editor is too hard to make as your first pogram, I'd suggest to start with something smaller.

But if not, Good luck :)

I'm optimistic! I'l post updates as soon as I figure out how to get the map rendering :)

Do you have any suggestions?

Pick just one version for start, like 7.4.
That should be enough work for you, and man if you are really 10 years old you are the boss.

In all seriousness though, He should start with a smaller program, and work his way up.
Have this current project as a goal to start, however if you get frustrated with the task, put it on the back burner, and find something else to work on, until you learn the language more completely.

I started out working with ot's, and a checkpoint system, I made of 500+ files, with 40-60 lines per script Made over 2 years ago, I remade it a few weeks ago in just 19 lines of code.
Something completely infeasible at the time, I spent nearly 2 weeks working on something that was desperately out of my range of knowledge, which only took me 15 minutes to create now.
It's nearly laughable when I think back on it, but it's something I learned through.
I'm not saying it will be the same with yourself, but from my experience, I can say I envy the determination required for your first large project.

Good luck.

Don't doubt the project! Just give me some suggestions on how to improve on rme

Make it check for updates automatically. :rolleyes:

That's your biggest complaint with RME lol
I never use rme. :p
But you wanted suggestions on what to change, so I gave you a suggestion. :rolleyes:

Hey guys learning how to make cool apps!

Just did a learn C# tutorial in 24 hours!

Was a little confused on what loops are.. but I'm working on that. I just got my mums old computer for my 10th birthday so I should be learn to code reallly good!

I figured I would start by making a mapping app like rameres. I looked at the ramere code and couldn't understand any of it, so I'm going ot start from scratch =D.

So, what should I do in my app that would make it better than rameres?!?!
I have been coding some Csharp for the past few months. I would really suggest you to start with a simple console program. Then move up to windows form application. One of my first programs was photoviewer.
That could show an image of your chooice, then you can edit it with paint and changing the image format. You just need to read alot and test and work yourself up. I'm slowly currently trying to make a IPchanger.

I never use rme. :p
But you wanted suggestions on what to change, so I gave you a suggestion. :rolleyes:
Alright well, not going to lie to you, that might be a little low on the priority list. I'm currently thinking about doing user created sub sets of brushes. So you can create your jungle set and put all the brushes you'd want to use in the jungle in one place. I'm also going to do finer borders on the ground tiles, as well as being able to edit the brushes inside the editor as opposed to editing the xml in notepad because I feel that is gross. As for a console program. I really think the console would be terrible interface for editing maps, therefore I'm not going pursue that.

On a side note.. VS 2015 is far from prime time.. damn thing keeps crashing.

Yep managed to crash the debugger everytime I try and launch one of the windows in my app, and they've already released SP1.. guess we'll have to wait for SP2 or 3 for the thing to be stable and usable :(

Last edited:
I promised you boys updates: After learning how to do for loops, and discovering the renderMap() function, I was able to get some basic functionality done in the editor.

Starting with the wall tools since they are much simplier than ground brushes (Atleast ground brushes done proper, the RME implementation would be pretty simple (Atleast after reading the chapter on if statements), but its very limiting)
So basicly my idea for wall brushes is to define all the wall pieces that make up one inside the editor into four catagories, post,corner,horizontal, and vertical. In addition to these catagories you can mark the piece as regular,special, window, or door. The regular pieces are used in randomly while you place the wall. The odds of placement are based on the numbers you give it in PercentChance. (If you have two pieces, one with percent change of 1, one with percent change 2, the first will have a 33.3% chance with the second at 66%, the percent changes don't have to add up to 100). Marking the piece as a window or door, will make it function similarly to RME's window/door function although that has not been implemented. And marking the piece as speciality will make it not appear in the random rotation, but will be a raw brush option when you have the wall brush selected. So basicly any related wall pieces that you don't to be place automaticly.

Specialty_Pieces.png

Create_Wall_Brush_Prompt.png

Alright another update! I started work on ground brushes. I wanted to start with a solid way to create them before getting into the actual logic of the brush. Pretty similar to the wall popup where you drag and drop items from the left into the related catagories. Since there are too many catagories to fit on one screen, there is a clickable layout of the tiles in black at the top, These are split into 3 sections: small corners ( as shown), the large corners, and the edges. This also allows for different border sets to be set as in the case of grass having an alternative one.

Create_Ground_Brush2.png

Everyone learns how they please, but I think you are skipping a lot of important basic stuff that you shouldn't.
Best of luck!

Everyone learns how they please, but I think you are skipping a lot of important basic stuff that you shouldn't.
Best of luck!
What is it you feel that I'm skipping. If I seem to be missing something I'd like to learn it.

Are you really 10?
Ofcourse not, I'm much closer to 25 than to 10 (23 actually). I was just trolling a bit. But in a serious note, even tho I'm not 10, the map editor still has the same odds of completion as someone who is 10. So I wouldn't get your hopes up too high for it, just a side project, that people can follow if they want. And if you looked at the date on the profile, you'd see it says April 1 lol.

Back