• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

My first sprites

dragon_armor_by_hero501-d8i2nnt.png
black_armor_by_hero501-d8i2nnr.png

Oh my god, really?
The same armours again?
Your works are boring, every are similar.

A little bit of criticism and you're already giving up?
Good for you!

I don't like the negative talk, At least a compliment....Maybe I must leave this forum A While.......Farewell

Dude your sprites are good. One person has given you "criticism" and you want to leave? Dont be like that man i like your sprites!

For me it wasn't nice @dami1310. You should definitely try to understand people who start doing pixelart. Pixelartists always think that they are really good at sprites - no matter if they are spriting for 1 month or 5 years. That's why it's important to protect this feeling, which gives motivation. Of course there are some people who can stand criticism and may even like it, but for others it's a cancer.

So please, stop that. And @MasterGrand keep spriting to become better! :)

@XKuzirashi But understand that if he will be making still the same sprites then he won't progress.

@MasterGrand Do not stop spriting and don't cry, you should just make something different than your usual sprites, show something NEW. I also have a tip for you, look at other people sprites and how are they doing it, but don't compare you to them.
Pay attention especially on these topics:
http://otland.net/threads/sprites-by-saphron.197679/
http://otland.net/threads/aneviss-thread.182086/
http://otland.net/threads/shikate-pixelart.137317/
http://otland.net/threads/weto-showoff.226933/

/\
9Q8V9wwM.png

The "I'm going to act like an *** so people will improve" logic.
If you like to see other kind of sprites from MasterGrand, you can also ask or suggest this in a normal friendly way.

@MasterGrand, Just ignore it, these kind of posts are useless and not motivating for anyone.

I have to agree that Dami1310 was heavy on his criticism.
He could say more politely something like "You're doing so many similar sprites, maybe u could apply a new design then you gonna get better results"

You must have both: critical and praise if we want to evolve.

An environment with only praise doesn't create many good spriters, just accommodated aspiring spriters.
An environment with only criticism creates many dropouts or perfectionist spriters (we don't want that too!).

It is necessary to balance the environment :)

"What matters is not accommodate, not get used to less than you deserve. Brave is the one who leaves what is good in the hope of something better."
Jonathan Felipe Ribeiro

PS: Mastergrand, just take the core of what Dami said/say, ignore the rude words and move ahead!

He has a point. Because he is doing it with same style and same methods he is not expanding his drawing abilities and thus is in one place as an artist.

And if you arent ready for critique then you shouldnt show your work to others :).

The thing is that he wasn't really giving criticism, it was more flaming. Comments don't have to be always positive, but "Oh my god, really? The same armours again? Your works are boring, every are similar." just isn't a useful comment.
Also the way how he responded on this wasn't exactly friendly and appropriate and only later he explained what he ment, still in an unnecessary negative way.
It's understandable that it's not motivating for someone who is new to continue posting when getting unnecessary negative comments that are missing clear suggestions of what to improve.

So therefore my suggestion, if he wants to see other kind of sprites he can also just ask or suggest this in a normal friendly direct way since all the bash around it was just unnecessary.

@dami1310 I have to agree with @Limos. Criticism is only useful insofar as it is clear and actionable.

1. "OMG This sucks." is not useful at all and is quite discouraging.
2. "OMG This sucks. It looks like someone ran it over with a steam roller." still discouraging but slightly better, as it describes what the writer thinks could be improved upon (albeit in a very negative way).
3. "If you darken the side opposite the light source I think it would really pop out and come to life." not so discouraging, maybe even encouraging, probably won't be received defensively, much more likely to be acted upon. If the creator agrees with the observation, he has somewhere to start improving.

There really is just never a reason to give criticism in the shape of 1 or 2. But I see people do it all the time, hiding behind "just telling the truth" or something similar. But it's not constructive and you'll make the world a better place by not pressing the "Post Reply" button when you have written a comment like that. Instead, if you improve upon your criticism and really make an effort to make it constructive, positive, and actionable you'll be surprised at how well people respond to it.

Back