• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Need help setting up server (basic setup)

person551

Reaction score
Hello and thanks for reading my topic.

I need help setting up a server, basically a tutorial to follow. I see many tutorials on this forum, but most of them are outdated or don't have the required files anymore. Can someone point me in the direction of a good tutorial that still has everything?

I'm looking to set up a server for just myself. It doesn't have to be fancy and I can make the map (although to have a map already is a bonus), but it should be as up to date as possible. I have a windows 10 computer with a 64 bit operating system.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

What type of server are you looking for?

Thanks for your reply, MikeOT.

I don't really know what types there are. I like the forgotten servers because they allow you to change classes and other variables in the config.lua. Or do you mean GUI or the other type? I thought I heard GUI was better, but I don't know how to use it.

I'm open to ideas as long as it's easy to customize.

Hi, therealemcee. Sounds like we have the same problem ^_^. Hopefully this topic will help us both. Feel free to ask any questions you have here as well.

Also, MikeOT, did you mean like RP server vs fast leveling etc? I don't know what you mean by type, so I guess just a regular leveling one? If that doesn't answer your question, please just tell me and I'll try to help you help me.

There are lots of options as far as distributions ranging from 7.72 - 10.98

The easiest solution to use right now, with by far the most support, is:

Release The Forgotten Server 1.2 · otland/forgottenserver · GitHub

This is TFS 1.2 with client protocol 10.98

Gone are the days of xml database. Now everyone uses mysql.

You will need an AAC to use with the database in order to manage accounts, etc. For that, I recommend Znote AAC.

Here is a video on how to set it up. It's a few years old, but is still pretty much exactly how you'll use it.
VIDEO TUTORIAL: From nothing to a fully working OT server, website and shop system

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. :)

Edit: Forgot to mention, if you want to use older protocols (like 7.x), you will have alot more headache to deal with in my experience. I'm yet to find anything that just works. There always seems to be difficult to fix (for me) bugs with all of those distributions. If you're not a programmer, I definitely recommend just sticking with the newer releases.

I am watching that video now. Thanks for your input so far.

However, when I try to run Apache, it says VCRUNTIME140.DLL not on my computer. I managed to get Apache running anyways after a few tries, but now when it tries to connect to the webpage afterward, it says "This site cannot be reached." (The localhost site that is.)

I tried clicking on phpMyAdmin and it said something similar. I couldn't get to the webpage he showed in the video. Do I have to forward my ports a certain way? How do I do that?

I tried reinstalling the program as it suggested, but no luck. Any advice?

EDIT: Now I can't get Apache working again.

Last edited:
Have you installed mysql?

Also, you should install visual studio 2015 community edition

It is needed to compile tfs, also that may fix the dll problem

Last edited:
I installed the Uniform Server if that's what you meant by mysql. Is there a separate download I need to download?

Is it fine if I use the 2017 visual studio edition? I can't find the 2015 version on the website.

EDIT: I've played around with it a bit and haven't figured out what to do. I don't think I've done anything different than what the video instructed (I'm only a few minutes in before I get lost.)

Also I tried checking my ports and they aren't forwarded. I don't know why because my router has the rules established. Do I need to forward my ports if I'm playing alone? My router won't let me forward port 80 because it's in use.

Last edited:
Okay I got a server working and am trying to make a god character. I can make it so when he looks at himself it says "god", but he has no god commands. I've looked around and everyone is saying set the group ID to 5, but my group ID only goes up to 3. Any advice?

Under player --> the character I'm trying to make a god --> group ID goes from 1-3 and account ID goes from 1-2. Under the same character's account, group ID goes from 1-3.

You need to add commands and scripts to your "data/talkactions". Group ID needs to be 3 if you're using standard TFS 1.2. You can take it from some DataPack (ORTS worked well I guess).

you need to switch your account type in database from 1 to 5 for ACCOUNT_TYPE_GOD, which lets you use commands

I went into commands.xml and changed the group ID to something lower and it worked. Thank you, everyone.

Also if anyone is curious as to how I got the server working, I followed this guide: Your First Open Tibia Server .

I went into commands.xml and changed the group ID to something lower and it worked. Thank you, everyone.

Also if anyone is curious as to how I got the server working, I followed this guide: Your First Open Tibia Server .
well now if you make someone GM they'll have the same commands as a god, the solution i gave you will work
accounts table -> type column -> change value from 0 to 5 in database

Back