• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

New Zealand want's to raise the price of cigarettes!

Yeah this is a tricky subject.

I'm a smoker, and we all know that cigarettes is bad for us, just like Limos said. We all have our own reasons for smoking.
Telling me I can't smoke a cigarette because it is bad for me is like telling me I can't eat a cheeseburger for the same reason.

There's been a good amount of effort recently, in the US at least, to eradicate cigarettes from public areas, like parks and sidewalks.
This is a total restriction on our personal freedom. They rally around SHS(second-hand smoke) as being the reason, which people are happy to agree with. What most people don't realize is that SHS studies have rarely been studied outside, and all of these studies admit that they are inconclusive. They all agree on one thing however, that outdoor levels of SHS are highly localized to the source. This should be obvious.

Here's some relevant passages from one of these reports:
1) It is difficult to measure ETS removal rates in outdoor settings since outdoor conditions are highly variable and change rapidly. (Page III-13)
2) [C]igars and cigarettes, the primary source of ETS [environmental tobacco smoke], are smaller sources that emit pollutants near people and thereby exposures to ETS are very localized. (Page II-4)
3) Overall, the results indicate that concentrations of nicotine correspond to the number of smokers in the smoking areas, although factors such as the size of the smoking area and wind speed affected the results. (Page II-3)
4) For each sampling period, two samplers were situated adjacent to the outdoor smoking area, with a third sampler located away from the smoking area as a background sampler in the expected upwind direction. … At most sites, the location of the background monitors, due to physical obstacles and/or meteorological conditions, were close to the smoking areas. … However, even at the background site locations, background concentrations were substantially lower than measured in the smoking areas. (Pages V-7 to V-8)

Basically, your exposure to outdoor SHS is barely measurable unless you come sit right next to me or its blowing in your face.

Have you ever though of when a car passes you and there comes lots of C02 out of the car? When you breath that C02 into your lungs its the same as smoking. Everyday you breath in dangerous C02.

Cigarettes doesnt give you any ability, it doesnt even help! It doesnt do a damn shit.

Just throw this damn trash cigarettes, they doesnt do A DAMN SHIT. NOT EVEN A SUPER ABILITY <SUX>

Second hand smoke cant be that dangerous can it? I mean compare with everything else you sniff up during the day, just think about everytime you walk in town, there is around a milion cars driving around leaving co2 in the air, pretty sure that is 99.9% more dangerous to your lungs then second hand smoke. Also if you work in the construction business you breathe in alot of dangerous dust which makes you cough once in a while, never happen to me while smoking. Should they forbidd cars and buildings now aswell?

Fuck that, do like Znote does:

1. Buy bag of tobacco.
2. Buy Rolling Paper.
3. Roll the tobacco.
4. ?????
5. Profit

Just get used to full flavor.

Where is your 4,000 additives now!? :p

Men who quit smoking by 30 add 10 years to their life. People who kick the habit at 60 add three years to their life. In other words, it’s never too late to benefit from stopping. Quitting not only adds years to your life, but it also greatly improves the chance of a disease-free, mobile, happier old age.

How do you know that? And do you have any proof?

1. Buy bag of tobacco.
2. Buy Rolling Paper.
3. Roll the tobacco.
4. ?????
5. Profit

This is the best option.
Vainilla and strawberry ftw <3

Just saying. By smoking it doubles the chances to get cancer than people that doesnt smoke

Wish they applied the raise here.

I don't really like it when someone smokes on the street, smelling that air.. bah.
I'll never understand why people started smoking/using drugs/whatever... They probably have their reasons. I hope so, at least.

They done it in Australia recently, not a large amount but enough so that you would notice it over time.
Not to mention a slight rice in alcohol prices aswell which is quite frankly ridiculous!

Well, i am a smoker and shouldnt we be allowed to make the decision ourself to smoke or not smoke? but i get your point, maybe make it like illigal to smoke in big cities? i think that would be better lol, if people stop smoking means less money for the government and they have to higher other things, think about it.

They can still sell it, it's just that you as a smoker have to pay more since you expose others to second hand smoking, which in long-term can lead to cancer for the second hand smoker.

1. Buy bag of tobacco.
2. Buy Rolling Paper.
3. Roll the tobacco.
4. ?????
5. Profit

Filter? ;]

This thread in summary: a bunch of fools looking to restrict the freedoms of others based on shallow reasoning. Letting others smoke takes nothing away from you.

If someone wants to screw their own health up by smoking, let them. You should fight for their freedom to do so.

Second-hand smoke is a completely different issue.

(Of course, double standards are probably actively in play here too: what if it were the price of alcohol that was being raised to unrealistic amounts?)

Back