• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

No tile constrained movement implementation

Gryffian

ununderstandable
Reaction score
Would it take much effort to allow free character movement in TFS + OTClient, not tied to tiles like it is now?

like this one?

Not much, did you think about downsides tho?
Right now one directional key press = 1 packet, with free movement it will move by 1 unit (to make the movement smooth), lets say 1 tile = 32 units. That's 32 packets just to move through a tile. Then there are animations that will look really clunky with such movement. Also onStepIn/Out will need rework because if a tile is on pos 128, 128, 7, then to check onStep you would have to check if player is within range (128, 128, 7 to 128 + 32, 128 + 32, 7).

like this one?
Like this one, yep.
Not much, did you think about downsides tho?
Right now one directional key press = 1 packet, with free movement it will move by 1 unit (to make the movement smooth), lets say 1 tile = 32 units. That's 32 packets just to move through a tile. Then there are animations that will look really clunky with such movement. Also onStepIn/Out will need rework because if a tile is on pos 128, 128, 7, then to check onStep you would have to check if player is within range (128, 128, 7 to 128 + 32, 128 + 32, 7).
I thought it might need more bandwith and computing. Animations wise I can see it being alright though. Some tweaking should be plenty.
I'd love to try tinkering with it. God, it's been years since I last touched c++ code, including tfs.

Back