• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[Object Builder] Quicker way to edit sprites?

overdriven

Solutions
Reaction score
I need to edit some sprites on animated objects in Object Builder.

If an object has 2x4 tiles and 16 animations it means I have to manually drag'n'drop new sprite 128 times. Is there really no quicker way?

Recording 2022-02-27 at 19.07.24.gif

Solution
There is. You just need to create spritesheet and pretty much drag and drop the file on the sprite grid instead of the sprite from the list on the right.
Ok, I think I get what you mean. So i.e. export existing object to png and replace all identical parts of image (in this case grass) with my new sprite and when I'm done drag'n'drop the file into middle section of Object Builder?
1645991098871.png

Can you recommend any graphical program to work with such spritesheets? To do it more automatically rather than replace each tile by hand.

Ok, I think I get what you mean. So i.e. export existing object to png and replace all identical parts of image (in this case grass) with my new sprite and when I'm done drag'n'drop the file into middle section of Object Builder?
Yes
Can you recommend any graphical program to work with such spritesheets? To do it more automatically rather than replace each tile by hand.
GIMP is free, none that would make it automatically somehow.

This method has one big disadvantage though. Or something is royally messed up with Object Builder.

Importing png straight into object has a side effect of replacing existing sprites that this object is using as well, so it means it will affect all other objects that are using the same sprites, because it will be changed for them too.

Directly after importing all seems fine, but after saving the object, instead creating new sprites from imported file, it is overwriting existing sprites :/

I.e. here 697 and 709 are using same sprites, so importing png into object 697 will automatically change object 709 too, if we want it or not.
1645997610068.png1645997586341.png

That's probably related to a bug with "replace" function, because earlier I've exported 709 as .obd and imported it into 697 (using "replace").
Post automatically merged:

On the other hand, importing .obd is messing it up on the opposite extreme, by adding same sprite every time you import.
1645998513097.png

Last edited:
This method has one big disadvantage though. Or something is royally messed up with Object Builder.

Importing png straight into object has a side effect of replacing existing sprites that this object is using as well, so it means it will affect all other objects that are using the same sprites, because it will be changed for them too.

Directly after importing all seems fine, but after saving the object, instead creating new sprites from imported file, it is overwriting existing sprites :/

I.e. here 697 and 709 are using same sprites, so importing png into object 697 will automatically change object 709 too, if we want it or not.
View attachment 65904View attachment 65903

That's probably related to a bug with "replace" function, because earlier I've exported 709 as .obd and imported it into 697 (using "replace").

On the other hand, importing .obd is messing it up on the opposite extreme, by adding same sprite every time you import.
View attachment 65905
Never had this issue.

I've found a safe workaround to prevent overwriting sprites:
1. Export existing object as png, edit, save,
2. Create new object,
3. Import png to new object,
4. Export new object as .obd,
5. Replace existing objects with exported .obd

Skipping steps 2-4 can cause other existing and untouched objects to have changed sprites and be messed up.

Don't import png - it's bugged (see gifs below). Create copies of objects to force generating copies of sprites and edit those new sprites directly instead.

Proof that duplicating is broken and importing png is overwriting existing sprites:
Recording 2022-02-28 at 01.02.37.gif

And importing png is unreliable (bugged) too. It changes the sprite of original object, rather than the one you're editing.
ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Btw. Object Builder got an update just yesterday after almost 3 years: github.com/ottools/ObjectBuilder/releases/tag/v0.4.9

Last edited:
if you compare 7.4 and 7.72 you can also see it's not just the sprites that differ, also it's properties such as if items are walkable, pathfind, different map color etc

Back