• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[Official OtLand Mapping Contest] August - City Gates

Which piece was your favorite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can experiment with combining effects dude. Ofc it's part of the creativity.

Can someone point out where the GATE is in the 3rd pick? I can't see it.

Looks like your 'im best mapper in the world' ego causes you not to see wat I mean :/

No I certainly didn't get what you meant.
What I mean is that this is a contest to show your skills in mapping, not skills in taking pictures ingame because it makes it looks better.

And thank you for thinking that I am the best mapper in the world.

On the bridge Of last pic. City gates are entrances and exits to cities. As stated a sterotypical iron bar gate or door type gates arent needed. If that was the exit to a city, in tibia you would still say "xxx is at the city gate"

I remember when nearly noone did ingame pictures.
The only thing you got were RME pictures. Okay yes, it looks better, but part of the creativity? It just makes it look pretty, that's all.

How to use different light colors and the proper ambient light for each situation is part of the creativity, not to mention to "cut" the exact most beautiful part of the whole piece with the game window is also part of the creativity and mapping sense.

On the bridge Of last pic. City gates are entrances and exits to cities. As stated a sterotypical iron bar gate or door type gates arent needed. If that was the exit to a city, in tibia you would still say "xxx is at the city gate"
'A city gate is a gate which is, or was, set within a city wall. Other terms include port.'
???
Oh well :p

You guys really put so much effort into that?
I just map, log in and put my ambient light down to 33% (I always do 33%) and very maybe I use a torch, that's it...

You also wait 30 mins for it to get dark.

- - - Updated - - -

N before anyone gives me that "you don't play with 10% ambient light "malarki(?)... Well i tried real tibia on 0 and did elemental spheres quest. Pally = water elementals and omfg it looks awesome. Especially when u cast spells n use sd.. Also
I found that sd has a red light :eek: never knew that. I assumed it was black

How is a "shrunken game window" part of creativity? Don't talk crap please because maybe 5% of the tibia players play with a shrunken game window.

'A city gate is a gate which is, or was, set within a city wall. Other terms include port.'
???
Oh well :p

The terrain is a bit harsh to have a city wall built on it don't you think XD

How is a "shrunken game window" part of creativity? Don't talk crap please because maybe 5% of the tibia players play with a shrunken game window.

Well... I don't know if you do this often.. But when you click do not stretch game window.. It doesn't make what you see any smaller. (unless you manually shrink it). So i can say almost 99.9999% play with the same size ingame window. Just it isn't stretched and blurred when we take for maps. Since, why would we purposely go ingame to take a shitty quality image?

The light effects are part of the creativity. It allows you to lighten up areas to perfect a climate or atmosphere you are intending to create. As a mapper i personally like to map how i would see it in game.

- - - Updated - - -

By not shrinking i mean, seeing the same size map area.

Dude, the point is that shrinking the game windows makes a lot of mappings look good when they are not. And, again. How is a "shrunken game window" part of creativity?

Dude, the point is that shrinking the game windows makes a lot of mappings look good when they are not. And, again. How is a "shrunken game window" part of creativity?

It's not but it certainly makes it look nicer. And out of all entrees only 1 person stretched their game window.

I would like to see all these mappings in Rme pictures.

You also wait 30 mins for it to get dark.
I usually map underground because I'm more of a cave man. So no, I don't wait 30 minutes

I kind of agree with Neon aswell, we already have rules to eliminate any advantages for persons.
That would be causing people to show the real mapping.
Although it's kind of a no aswell, don't know.

And I still disagree with the lighting being a part of creativity.

I usually map underground because I'm more of a cave man. So no, I don't wait 30 minutes

And I still disagree with the lighting being a part of creativity.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2993/29841786.png
This is not an underground picture, since if it were, not all floors would be show. Also, since underwater tiles are very limited, most tiles arent underwater tiles, so they dont give a blue light. By hiding frozen starlights everywhere and by waiting till dark, I could make this picture ingame look like as if it were a real underwater picture.

So, this is what I think about ingame pictures creativity, it allows you to add effects that you wouldnt be able otherwise.

Okay luffy, you want to rid ALL unfair advantages.

We ALL have to map same client version, all RME, all same walls, all same floors, same nature, same climate, same everything. Since some people prefer certain climates in the voting stage and therefore it is biased, under your logic. Whooo! No creativity :D.

Playing with ingame and light effects is creative mapping. So you are telling me that mixing lights to provide an atmosphere of your map. I.e. you want it dark and mysterious so you may use red lighting with a possible mix with purple or blue in some areas, is not creative? pfft.

#3 without ingames will still look pretty good via the structure, the detail etc. HOWEVER, i agree it probably wouldn't win like that. And #2 doesn't seem to have any ingame effects anyway. I can even see crystals hidden behind the snake head which shows there was an intention to but he didn't. Therefore #2 would look the same.

If the was no issue with setting up servers, then i am 90% sure the rules would state "INGAME ONLY". The only reason why it's not now is because of the hassle and effort needed to setup a server.

I understand you want to be judged fairly. Since people favour ingame (since as you said:- light effects mask and improve pieces greatly)
but choosing different climates, different styles are "unfair", there is no "league" within contestants. Surely it is unfair to place an intermediate mapper with you experienced ones? So you literally have no grounds on the equality argument.

You're not wrong. It isn't necessarily fair. But there is no need to have only map editor pictures. Scarlet gave you the choice. You had a month. You could of learnt how and setup a server within that time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back