• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Old School PVP tricks and tips wanted

remember when people played 640*480 or 800*600
they were best aimers
less pixels more fps or something
Yes, but that doesn't tell us anything.

I'm telling you that using your monitors native aspect is the best. These old players used their monitors native aspect ratio.

I don't think FPS is relevant unless you have issues with FPS.

@Erkan666 Good to hear from you again! Some people drop in every once in a while (like @JimmeptSoOld in this thread), but I haven't played in forever so I don't know who is still active.
Okay. :) It was so long since I played that even though I can remember individual names, I have a hard time connecting the names to actual moments in the game. Like, I absolutely remember your name, and I understand we were obviously good friends since I showed you the OT I was working on, but my memory is hazy.

Anyway, like I said I'm working on at least toying with the idea of creating a 2.5D MMO. Started thinking about it this summer, it would be very different than Tibia but still heavily influenced by it. I know infinitely more about programming now and can quite comfortably create simple games, but it would of course still be a massive project. But it's all just fantasies at this point, all I've done so far is create some drawfunctions for an isometric grid that I can move around with the arrow keys. :p So mostly daydreaming so far, really. :)

Another important aspect is speed boost levels. This might not be super relevant in a war server where everyone is kept around the same levels (like 30 or 50), but if you play in a more open setting it's very important to get to certain thresholds. A level 111 will easily outrun a level 110.
Here's how I always imagined it, but it's kinda difficult putting it into words:
  • Your character has a speed-variable, which increases with every level. So a lvl 91 has a higher speed variable than a lvl 90, a lvl 92 has a higher speed variable than a lvl 91, and so on.
  • When you take a step, your speed variable is multiplied with a terrain multiplier. "Faster" terrains have higher speed multipliers.
  • Your actual speed can only be a limited amount of different values. I'm not sure why, but it may be due to how they coded the game in the first place. For example, if the speed sets how many pixels your character moves, there simply can't be too many "different" speeds, because having characters that move with 50 pixels per frame wouldn't work.
  • Instead if your character's speed variable times the terrain multiplier is above certain levels, your speed is "1 faster".

This would explain why at certain levels, your speed on some types of grounds (with one common terrain multiplier) will increase, but not on other types (with another common terrain multiplier). Likewise it would explain similar effects to using Gran Hur or BoH. So one person is substantially faster than another on some grounds, but they still have the exact same speed on other grounds. And BoH makes no difference on some terrain/level combinations, but on others it provides a speedboost.

This is at least how I imagined it working.

oh i get it now, looks logical
If you move your mouse the same distance (for example 10 cm) on the X-axis and Y-axis,
this is how far it will move on your screen.

resolutions.png

Like Arshalo said, you can use a 4:3 monitor or force your 16:9 monitor to only draw the pixels of a 4:3 screen.

Last edited:
oh i get it now, looks logical

That being said, it doesn't really matter if this is the only muscle memory knows.

For example, in first person shooters with high recoil it is viable to use a sensitivity multiplier on the Y-axis – which is what the picture above illustrates – to make is easier to control recoil without reaching the bottom of your mouse pad. You can still teach your brain to flick vertically, horizontally and diagonally.

But let's say you play CSGO with 2x multiplier on Y-axis and Overwatch with no Y-axis multiplier. Now your muscle memory will be confused when switching between the games. The same issue goes for Tibia. Let's say you use 4:3 stretched for Tibia and 16:9 for everything else. Your muscle memory will be confused every time you switch to/from Tibia.

Back