• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Old School PVP tricks and tips wanted

Few tips
  • Depending on lag u may have to aim 1sq ahead of enemy.
  • Train yourself by not using battle menu to fight monsters to cast runes on them manually.

- If you can't hit with hmm/sd use explo or gfb.

• Don't waste mana needlessly i.e. pointless to cast spells to kill enemy if its not a chance to kill. Only use spells when u miss your UH.
  • Be prepared. Rings of Might are quite useful, if low level or against sorc use strange talisman, and against pally/knight protection amulets. Couple % but its something.

• Pretend you don't have runes like SD/Explo. Lower their guard, and when their life is low enough... SD, spell dealing damage thats enough - one shot kill.
  • In terms of knights... that can heal for more than you can deal damage, only way to kill is to trap them, and move them when they are about to heal, or use paralyze rune and move them when they are about to heal. This way you can overcome them sometimes quicker than one could expect.

• Try to match your attack with rune attack
  • Don't run in straight lines, if there are many enemies run between them - likely cause them hitting each other if you dodge nicely.
  • Make sure your enemies have waste. GFB is great since it forces larger group to try to heal.
  • As MS Double/triple casting ue can end fight quickly.
  • Make traps - If you are hunted, or expect a team to come after you - go on PoH and create few traps in trap holes. The temple is also nearby, bring magic walls and try to block them.
  • When running around do stuff that players hate - demoralize them. Firebombs, Energybombs, block them with magic walls or growth.
  • Use monsters as your allies. Draging big chunk of monsters behind you can really put stop to pursuit and sometimes u can actually kill them while they are receiving dmg from mob.
  • Some mobs do not walk over fields (be prepared, make sure u have couple of all)
  • Destruction fields, and the more powerful one is quite useful when you are getting trapped.

- in 7.4 block rope holes either with trash/bodies, fields or yourself this way your pray is trapped - if you are in cave with 2 holes make sure to put firebomb or energy bomb leaving only path for yourself to walk from either of holes and follow the guy/guys.

- hydras, go on a hunt and wait till the hydra moves onto ms/ed; block their escape by "mistake" and send sd when they are low to die on single strike.

- at higher levels while playing rp you should time your p-bolt + sd ; learn how much dmg it does. if i remember correctly back in 7.6 as 140rp i could deal around over 200 from p-bolt and over 200 with sd if lucky u can one shot fairly high level druids/sorcs. Visiting orc fort was good way to get runes from lvl 40-60ms/ed (ed typically carry more runes in my exp), and they almost never have aol. If played right they'll not know what hit them. (1hit kill) MS can also do that but wastes far more mana, and its more dangerous.

- as knight, always have 2-4 ice rapiers (on higher level evne few bps of them) Use it as your SD. Its a wow effect when ms/pally gets hit for ~300 (with exori can be even more -- in this case wait until you see number u hit them with; if they aren't low and ur exori has no chance to finish them off don't waste your mf and mana).

- when running away when you change direction you are running in most cases will cause your enemies to stop for couple secs (psychology), u can use it to cast some runes on them without worry of missing.

- in terms of being prepred
Bring:
might rings - against ms UE (when u expect to get a combo)
elven amulets - against ms when its 1 or few against you when they are keen on using sd or couple ue combo.
metal/black pot - cheap block that people can't use field destroy on. *also can be used as a trap or a temp wall (very useful in tight spaces against ed/ms with no cap)
time ring - great in escapes.
stealth ring - against mobs
energy ring - u can put it on as buffer as you switch stone-skin etc to be safe u won't die without aol.
roh - recover some mana when running away and no1 is hitting you at that time.
as knight you should also have 1-2 rings for the type for wep u use.
have basic tools like machete rope, shovel, pickaxe always.
u can always bring godflower or stuff like that but mostly useless.
stone skins - against traps, and ue ms combo.

Dont forget u can heal ur allies in war with uh.

havent had a better laugh reading in a long time, good one sir

How to PvP by sir maciek

@Shonne

Honestly, start by reading and applying those tips in your pvp adventures:

Secondly, login into realesta war, make a sorcerer/druid and just grind, grind, grind.

People giving you advice on how to play the game won't make you aim more accurately, manafluid faster, be swifter with rings, or be able to properly assess the situation and recognize movement patterns. Essentially, you have to do it by yourself to git gud.

You just have to go through what every beginner pvper went through - being railed in the ass by everyone until you're skilled enough to hold your ground against any opponent and fight them as their equal, or even superior.

The only thing that I want to criticize is "aiming on top of someone". As @Worr said, it doesnt work on a single fucking server (unless someone is standing still which doesnt really ever happen in pvp) , unless you're playing outcast where character hitbox is 9 sqms, or at least it feels like it. You always aim by predicting where the opponent will go based on his movement patterns and sometimes quick reflexes, your ability to recognize patterns and having good muscle memory is equal to your aim.

That's the best advice I can give you, having spent thousands upon thousands of hours on various 7.1-7.72 warservers in the past 3 years. There's no shortcuts, we (oldschool pvpers) all went through this if we wanted to be considered someone a cut above the rest.

If you have any questions regarding PVP feel free to PM me, I will try to answer them and help you if needed. @Shonne

Last edited:
always aim by predicting where the opponent will go based on his movement patterns and sometimes quick reflexes, your ability to recognize patterns and having good muscle memory is equal to your aim
Another helpful tip on aiming specifically
  1. Pick a spot where the opponent is moving to.
  2. Hold cursor pressed down on that spot.
  3. Move to help maintain this position.
  4. Release the shot when he anticipates on moving towards that chosen square.​
Timing varies according to ping and fps.

Train yourself by not using battle menu to fight monsters to cast runes on them manually.
Yes, it helps to mimic pvp actions in other in-game activities

imo developers of custom ots should use this to make pvm more interesting :p

Last edited:
@Shonne

Honestly, start by reading and applying those tips in your pvp adventures:

Secondly, login into realesta war, make a sorcerer/druid and just grind, grind, grind.

People giving you advice on how to play the game won't make you aim more accurately, manafluid faster, be swifter with rings, or be able to properly assess the situation and recognize movement patterns. Essentially, you have to do it by yourself to git gud.

You just have to go through what every beginner pvper went through - being railed in the ass by everyone until you're skilled enough to hold your ground against any opponent and fight them as their equal, or even superior.

The only thing that I want to criticize is "aiming on top of someone". As @Worr said, it doesnt work on a single fucking server (unless someone is standing still which doesnt really ever happen in pvp) , unless you're playing outcast where character hitbox is 9 sqms, or at least it feels like it. You always aim by predicting where the opponent will go based on his movement patterns and sometimes quick reflexes, your ability to recognize patterns and having good muscle memory is equal to your aim.

That's the best advice I can give you, having spent thousands upon thousands of hours on various 7.1-7.72 warservers in the past 3 years. There's no shortcuts, we (oldschool pvpers) all went through this if we wanted to be considered someone a cut above the rest.

If you have any questions regarding PVP feel free to PM me, I will try to answer them and help you if needed. @Shonne
cant get this guide "four pillars of pvp" to work, its like its broken images.
Still , thanks for the great tips
Post automatically merged:

today i was able to completly play with two people at the same time, i killed them over and over and it felt like they could not touch me. They moved really predictable and noobish and i guess i was like them when i started this thread. i still have a long way to go ofcourse but im slowly making progress. thanks again for all the tips guys.

Last edited:
@Shonne I asked the author to make Four Pillars of PvP available again. He said he'd do it if he finds the files. Keep your fingers crossed. :p

Another useful trick is magic wall and sewer grates.
(Its reflex based)

You fire magic wall and before it reaches the tile with sewer, you click on it / and do 'use'.
This way you will bypass the magic wall leaving your enemies in most cases stunned at what just happened.

Another useful trick is magic wall and sewer grates.
(Its reflex based)

You fire magic wall and before it reaches the tile with sewer, you click on it / and do 'use'.
This way you will bypass the magic wall leaving your enemies in most cases stunned at what just happened.

yes, you for sure will be able to do this shit on a 7.4 server

@Shonne I asked the author to make Four Pillars of PvP available again. He said he'd do it if he finds the files. Keep your fingers crossed. :p
What's the best way to contact him? I wouldn't mind saying hello after I don't know how long, maybe 8 years..? I know the Me Again OTLand account was also being used regularly by a mate of his so I don't want to just immediately private message it.

I hope you're well yourself Alex, still loyal to the The Motherland too I hope..!

@Original Topic: I used to reassign the keys on my keyboard (use google to find some program, shouldn't be difficult) so that the "F1, 2 (etc)" keys got remapped to the keys around my arrow keys. Didn't have to move my hand to hit the hotkeys this way.

Cheers and hello to anyone else,
Jimme aka Denny.

@JimmeptSoOld That's a face I didn't expect to see after all this time!

I have the brothers on Facebook (I can't remember which of them was Me Again). If you pm me your Facebook I can ask them to add you.

the best tip is to use bot as every "good player" does in the old versions. or make an script in ahk or or auto it to aim sd mana etc.

Hello everyone! I'm Arshalo but I don't think many will know who I am :)

I ended up in this thread completely unrelated, so I'm sorry for hijacking it! I'm in the planning stages to code a sort of Tibia inspired game, and for fun I googled "Arshalo map" which brought me to this site.

Apparently @Worr wrote something about me back in 2017 on a thread on this site, about my Thais Reverse-map and old (dead) OT project. And I also saw he had been trying to get in touch with me back in 2011 (lol!). Then I found out I already had an account here, created back in 2011.

Hope every old face are doing well! Are there any other old players still around in the community?

Since this is a thread about PvP tricks in Tibia I might as well post what I remember from my days (probably over 8 years ago). I spent a ridiculous amount of time pvping back then and my general philosophy was that PvP was more than just actually pressing the keys and clicking the mouse - To me it also included everything from how you set up your backpacks, hotkeys, and even windows and screen settings, in a way that helped your pvp. I spent a long time trying to perfect all of this (I even bought a screen that could be set to 4:3 mode, lol).

1. Walking speed:
Your character has a speed at which it will walk from one square to the next. At any time that you are in motion to another square, you can send another walk-input to the server. This will "queue" the next step for you, and your character will start taking that step the moment you reach the square you are currently heading to.

However, those walk inputs will only be sent as quickly as you have your Windows settings adjusted to send them. And those settings are different (by preference) by different people. So with 100% default Windows settings, it goes something like this:

As you press (and hold down) your arrow key, Windows sends one key input (translating to one walk request) - which causes your character to take a first step - but then windows pauses for like a second, and then starts sending a flow of more walk requests (so your character keeps walking). The same happens when you for example hold down the m-key, first you print one m, then a row of m:s. So, if your walk speed to the next square is faster than this delay, what will happen is that your character will take one step, then pause, then take the next steps.

In the keyboard settings for windows, you can change this delay. Which many people do anyway.

But even at the lowest settings in Control Panel, character walk speeds in Tibia can still be faster than the first-push delay, and can even be faster than the intra-keypush delays in the "row" of keypushes. Simply manually adjusting the keypush delays beyond what you can do in the Control Panel can have an impact on letting you take full control of your character's walk speeds.

2. Screen size:
I don't know if many people care this much. I know I did, lol. But setting your screen to 4:3 brings your game screen substantially closer to your opened backpacks, character equipment-slots and even keeps HP/mana numbers closer to the game screen. I actually made sure the screen I bought could be manually set to 4:3 mode (with black sides), but I'm sure there's software that does that automatically for you now if you want to. I always played in 1440x1080 (4:3) mode.

3. Hotkey management
Back when I played many players who had even played for years didn't bother to do this properly. It's kinda easy to tell, because they die in pretty obvious ways.

Anyway, have you ever stood at a cliff and pressed levitate down to escape in last second, but nothing happened, and then you got killed? Have you ever been aiming a Gran Lux, been hit, pressed your Exura Vita hotkey, but nothing happened and you died? Or pressed a damage spell to kill your opponent, nothing happened, and then you died instead? This is likely because you haven't fixed your hotkeys. You hold down Ctrl for whatever reason (turning direction), then press the hotkey you mean to use (levitate down, exura vita, whatever), and nothing happens (because the spell you mean to use is on F12, but without fully realizing it you are holding down Ctrl, and Ctrl+F12 is empty).

So the first thing you should do, is duplicate any directional and/or otherwise important hotkeys that you have on F1-F12 (so, most of them), to the same Ctrl+F1-F12 button. Examples:

F12: Exura Vita
Ctrl + F12: Exura Vita
F11: UE
Ctrl + F11: UE
and so on...

Use the Shift hotkeys for things you don't do as often and won't do in a pressure of time. Like greater light, summon monster, and so on.

And also, bind your F-buttons corresponding to E-vita, Ewave, GEB, and UE to mouse buttons. You never want to waste time moving your hands (and eyes) to your keyboard for casting those. And I would also recommend to put at least exura vita on a button that's easy to push in a hurry without being missed when your hand is over the F-buttons, mine was on F12 for example, easy to slap in a hurry.

4. Pushing
To me, playing on servers with fast push delays was something that put an extra dimension into Tibia PvP (which otherwise felt kinda one dimensional to me). Narrow space duels on a "normal" server and one with fastpush would look completely different - on fastpush you had more or less constant action because you always had something to micromanage. Thinking back, I think I quit the game because there were no good fastpush servers anymore. I'm guessing it's not even a thing anymore.

Here is an old video of me pushing someone, lol

Anyway, even on slow push, simply knowing pushing mechanics for that particular server will give you better chances in many situations, so whenever you start playing on a new server (even if it's a RPG server), do take the time to find out what the push mechanics are (because they will be wildly different between servers, at least back when I played).

• Are you allowed to push someone around a corner to a square that you can't currently "throw" something at?
  • Are you allowed to start a push, and then use a spell in between waiting for that push to happen, without cancelling the push?
  • Does walking a step cancel your push?
  • Does holding down the walk button (against something) but not walking cancel a push? (meaning you can push someone and hold down walk against him without cancelling your push)
  • Is it possible to start a push from a distance? Will it say "you are out of range"? If not, does the push delay count from when you start walking towards him (meaning he will be pushed the moment your character arrives), or will you walk up to him but still wait for him to be pushed?
  • And sooo ooon....
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I'm starting to realize I could probably write about this for hours even though I haven't played in probably at least 8 years, lol.

Edit: Someone in this thread said to hold down your mouse button when aiming a spell. This is a great tip! The client fires the spell when you release your mouse button, and clicking down and then releasing the mouse button to shoot a rune takes more time compared to already holding down and simply releasing the button. Make it a habit to hold down left-click while you're aiming SDs, and instead rightclick if you want to cancel it.

Anyway, writing about PvP wasn't really why I came, I got carried away here. @Worr how are you doing? :) Do you know if any other old players are still around from that time?

Last edited:

@Erkan666 Good to hear from you again! Some people drop in every once in a while (like @JimmeptSoOld in this thread), but I haven't played in forever so I don't know who is still active.

1. Walking speed:

Another important aspect is speed boost levels. This might not be super relevant in a war server where everyone is kept around the same levels (like 30 or 50), but if you play in a more open setting it's very important to get to certain thresholds. A level 111 will easily outrun a level 110.

I don't remember all the specifics around it, but apparently the wiki has some information about it:

2. Screen size:

Nowadays some servers uses custom clients with multiple rows for backpacks, but personally I didn't think it was worth it to set screen to 4:3 resolution even back then.

If you play Tibia with the same resolution as you normally use then you will train Tibia aim from just using your computer. If you change resolution only to play Tibia you will confuse your muscle memory. I guess hardcore Tibia players could use 4:3 resolution even when they don't play Tibia. :p

3. Hotkey management

I preferred to only double-bind spells that I would normally cast while changing direction with ctrl+arrowkeys:
  • Wave spells, because you often turn around when casting them.
  • Exani hur up/down
If I started playing Tibia now I would probably look into alternative keybinds (like mouse buttons). I can't imagine reaching for distant F-keys nowadays even though it probably felt very natural back then, haha.

4. Pushing

I preferred to "macro-manage" slow pushing in RPG servers to be honest. When things take longer time, what you choose to do with your time is more important.

Apart from what you wrote I guess the most basic thing you can learn is the difference between executing a push command (e.g dragging and dropping) and the push itself.
  • You can prevent someone from executing a push command on you by trashing you the square you're standing on, because they will execute their push command on the trash instead. If the push command was executed on you, it doesn't matter if you trash your square afterwards (you will still be pushed).
  • You can stop a push after the push command has been executed by blocking the destination square, even after the push was executed.
  • If the target moves after the push command was executed, the push will be cancelled.
  • Executing a push command on someone that is not next to you will make your character walk towards your target. The delay timer starts when you execute the push command, leaving the target with less time (or no time) to react.
  • Pushing someone in a stack of players (i.e stair jumping) is different. I don't remember 100%, but I believe it doesn't matter who the push command was executed on. Instead the last player who entered the stack after the delay has passed will be pushed (unless all players left the stack, in which case the push command is cancelled).
Seeing some oldschool players drop in brings my nostalgia-meter up! :D

Last edited:

@Erkan666 Good to hear from you again! Some people drop in every once in a while (like @JimmeptSoOld in this thread), but I haven't played in forever so I don't know who is still active.

Another important aspect is speed boost levels. This might not be super relevant in a war server where everyone is kept around the same levels (like 30 or 50), but if you play in a more open setting it's very important to get to certain thresholds. A level 111 will easily outrun a level 110.

I don't remember all the specifics around it, but apparently the wiki has some information about it:

Nowadays some servers uses custom clients with multiple rows for backpacks, but personally I didn't think it was worth it to set screen to 4:3 resolution even back then.

If you play Tibia with the same resolution as you normally use then you will train Tibia aim from just using your computer. If you change resolution only to play Tibia you will confuse your muscle memory. I guess hardcore Tibia players could use 4:3 resolution even when they don't play Tibia. :p

I preferred to only double-bind spells that I would normally cast while changing direction with ctrl+arrowkeys:
  • Wave spells, because you often turn around when casting them.
  • Exani hur up/down
If I started playing Tibia now I would probably look into alternative keybinds (like mouse buttons). I can't imagine reaching for distant F-keys nowadays even though it probably felt very natural back then, haha.

I preferred to "macro-manage" slow pushing in RPG servers to be honest. When things take longer time, what you choose to do with your time is more important.

Apart from what you wrote I guess the most basic thing you can learn is the difference between executing a push command (e.g dragging and dropping) and the push itself.
  • You can prevent someone from executing a push command on you by trashing you the square you're standing on, because they will execute their push command on the trash instead. If the push command was executed on you, it doesn't matter if you trash your square afterwards (you will still be pushed).
  • You can stop a push after the push command has been executed by blocking the destination square, even after the push was executed.
  • If the target moves after the push command was executed, the push will be cancelled.
  • Executing a push command on someone that is not next to you will make your character walk towards your target. The delay timer starts when you execute the push command, leaving the target with less time (or no time) to react.
  • Pushing someone in a stack of players (i.e stair jumping) is different. I don't remember 100%, but I believe it doesn't matter who the push command was executed on. Instead the last player who entered the stack after the delay has passed will be pushed (unless all players left the stack, in which case the push command is cancelled).
Seeing some oldschool players drop in brings my nostalgia-meter up! :D

best resolutions for tibia are always 4:3 because you have no borders on your client, making it smoother to aim (you have less distance from screen to your backpack), 1152x864, 1024x768, 1280x1024 etc are all resolutions that the best players always used

@TomashAlcoKebab I would still call it a personal preference. I played with 16:9 and I had no issue competing with the best players. A small border is not going to matter. As long as you are able to do UH + MF in one exhaust cycle and can shoot SD reliably on to the left of your character you're good.

best resolutions for tibia are always 4:3 because you have no borders on your client, making it smoother to aim

An issue that comes from not using your monitors native aspect ratio is that your mouse will behave in strange ways. This happens to all players who use 4:3 resolution on a 16:9 monitor.

As you can see, people who don't use native resolutions have a mouse that has a different sensitivity on the X-axis and the Y-axis.
To me, this doesn't seem very efficient for a game where X/Y-coordination is important.

If you move your mouse the same distance (for example 10 cm) on the X-axis and Y-axis,
this is how far it will move on your screen.

resolutions.png

Like Arshalo said, you can use a 4:3 monitor or force your 16:9 monitor to only draw the pixels of a 4:3 screen.

Back