• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Open Tibia - Idiot's Tibia?

Dante_

Philosopher (Owner of Ethraeum)
Premium User
Reaction score
I've realized in the past years people on OTs have down-talked RL Tibian players. Is it them who are fools for still playing Tibia, or us that are fools for playing Open Tibian servers?

I have kept an eye on how the economy rises and falls. A while back all Open Tibia players were actually creative and open to change, now it's all about who can make the best Real Tibia simulation. All the successful servers out there are now Pocket Monsters and RL Maps. All the fun, original servers have been pushed to the back of the line. Are Open Tibia players really that dunce that they can not accept change? They can not recognize an original server when they see one?

Every time I implement ideas to my project, all my experienced gamer testers explain to me that the Open Tibia community will quit my server if the concept is too large for them to grasp. Is this true? Do OTers no longer understand the basics of sorting out some storyline, or quests as complex as the Serpentine Tower?

Do you all just want servers based off of Pokemon and Real Life Tibia? If you do, why not just go play your Nintendo DS, or buy Premmy time for cheaper on RL Tibs than on 50% of the servers out there? Honestly, it's sad to see a once great community drop to mindless children who can't even implement a simple CreatureEvent.

Look at the people who are developing servers now... "Where I add this event called onTalkAction?" Like seriously, is there any brilliant minds still in this community that would play a revolutionized server where it takes skill to play? Or is the concept of Open Tibia lost?

I'm not a fan of RL clone servers, that's why I'm working on a project that not only replicates real Tibia, but has new systems such as a War Zone where players can battle in class-based objective-based combat :)

I'm not a pokemon server fan, but I appreciate the work they put into them (except the download-and-run servers... urgh lol)

I think the problem is the demographic of Tibia players nowadays. We live in an era of instant-gratification. People don't want stuff they have to work for, they want it now and they want it fast.

I'll be the first to admit I make mistakes when scripting, but to not know what a TalkAction etc is absolutely pathetic. The people that can't create a simple script for themselves are obviously the download-and-run kind. They are the morons that make the good servers fail. "OMG HUGE OVERPOWERED WEAPON IN DONOR SHOP FOR 10 EUROS" kind of shit makes me hate the way OTServers are going -.-

The player whant all easy...
and the owner whant money...

is all...

Another thing is that some people try to make their projects soo much detailed and thinking it has to be the best of the best while they lose the sight of the esstential meaning for what, when and who they are doing it for.

I've realized in the past years people on OTs have down-talked RL Tibian players. Is it them who are fools for still playing Tibia, or us that are fools for playing Open Tibian servers?

I have kept an eye on how the economy rises and falls. A while back all Open Tibia players were actually creative and open to change, now it's all about who can make the best Real Tibia simulation. All the successful servers out there are now Pocket Monsters and RL Maps. All the fun, original servers have been pushed to the back of the line. Are Open Tibia players really that dunce that they can not accept change? They can not recognize an original server when they see one?

Every time I implement ideas to my project, all my experienced gamer testers explain to me that the Open Tibia community will quit my server if the concept is too large for them to grasp. Is this true? Do OTers no longer understand the basics of sorting out some storyline, or quests as complex as the Serpentine Tower?

Do you all just want servers based off of Pokemon and Real Life Tibia? If you do, why not just go play your Nintendo DS, or buy Premmy time for cheaper on RL Tibs than on 50% of the servers out there? Honestly, it's sad to see a once great community drop to mindless children who can't even implement a simple CreatureEvent.

Look at the people who are developing servers now... "Where I add this event called onTalkAction?" Like seriously, is there any brilliant minds still in this community that would play a revolutionized server where it takes skill to play? Or is the concept of Open Tibia lost?

Hope you're not regarding me.

Kiel, OpenTibia will not die.
We need to be more creative than just hosting a Real Map server to collect moolah.
I've been trying to brainstorm and plan out an INSANELY awesome war server that included never-before-seen features.
OpenTibia has given creators a ton of freedom to do creative things (look at the very long list of LUA functions).
But the problem is, people are not willing to learn how to do LUA, how to map, how to do a lot of things that involves creating a server.
People are just downloading servers, posting on forums on how to run it, then implementing a PayPal system and turning on the server, then making no progress whatsoever (just leaving it on and doing nothing).

Maybe not will die. But where they are. simOne, Remeres, elf among many other developers? All are practically leaving from the Open Tibia. Some developers of Open Tibia in which TFS is based, have told me that they will not waste your time developing a server for idiots download, run and make money!

In my point of view, if you dont have enough money to pay a dedicated server by yourself, then don't do it. OTServers should not be paid at any moment.
This thing of "donation" is ridiculous. Selling items/VIP is far from the concept of "donation". This is a donation: here. You'll not get any advantage by donating but you know its for a right cause.
To be honest, otservers are dying with real Tibia...

I agree with you, ruda, but there are those who use donations to keep the server running, you need nothing more than 70 bucks a month.
To the others, they use donations as greed, they use other people's work and copy and paste them and make money off of it while the people who made them, get nothing.
This is selfish behavior.

See, if you're going to put work into a server and actually make it unique, I believe you should be allowed to have simple donations to make up for all the hard work, as long as you don't make it so donations help you rule the server.

As for your point e.mC, that is completely us scripters/mappers fault. It's the reason I will answer a simple request in the request section, but if someone asks "Oh... well does this talkaction go in creatureevents?" that's when I tell them to drop their project. People like Mock could make an amazing server and would deserve donations, but he goes and releases configurable scripts and allows idiots to make download and run servers seem professional, when quiet the contrary it's 90% bugs but people are loving the donation advantages.

There should be new sections on this forum where any script that is more than 10 lines long is only viewable by other real scripters. Thus it will stunt all the people who just download and launch a server.

See, if you're going to put work into a server and actually make it unique, I believe you should be allowed to have simple donations to make up for all the hard work, as long as you don't make it so donations help you rule the server.

I disagree. You must be prepared to work hard and get nothing in return. As e.mC told, you can try to get donations to keep with a good dedicated server, but without offer anything for this. People who makes OTs such as TFS, OpenTibia, Evolution etc.. work hard and dont get anything in return. Why would some one who just downloaded the server try to get donations for "hard work" ?

As for your point e.mC, that is completely us scripters/mappers fault. It's the reason I will answer a simple request in the request section, but if someone asks "Oh... well does this talkaction go in creatureevents?" that's when I tell them to drop their project. People like Mock could make an amazing server and would deserve donations, but he goes and releases configurable scripts and allows idiots to make download and run servers seem professional, when quiet the contrary it's 90% bugs but people are loving the donation advantages.

There should be new sections on this forum where any script that is more than 10 lines long is only viewable by other real scripters. Thus it will stunt all the people who just download and launch a server.

This is a problem. Scripter/mappers like to show off their work, always been so. But ppl started to use the others work to get money. This is totally wrong.

Go to otservlist.org and click at any ot in the first page, then go to the description. 90% chance of you see the words "dedicated server". This is like a plague, and I can tell you... almost all of them offers VIP for money. They are the same map, the same scripts, the same rates. This is ridiculous, theres no space anymore to "home-hosted" and "creative" servers...

I do agree with donations, but only for servers that actually been developed. Not a download one. Also I hate people which want everything for free here, especially sms shops etc. You will make money on this, so you have to invest money. I completely don't understand why people release anything that got to do with SMS shops.

I disagree. You must be prepared to work hard and get nothing in return. As e.mC told, you can try to get donations to keep with a good dedicated server, but without offer anything for this. People who makes OTs such as TFS, OpenTibia, Evolution etc.. work hard and dont get anything in return. Why would some one who just downloaded the server try to get donations for "hard work" ?

How can you disagree? Also, that is wrong. OTLand is built on the basis of "If you donate, you can use up-to-date servers before everyone else!" Even TFS is based on donations that get you something in return. Any game that involves donations get you some sort of compensation. Think of it from the consumers point of view. Also, if you actually read my response, I said:

"See, if you're going to put work into a server and actually make it unique, I believe you should be allowed to have simple donations to make up for all the hard work, as long as you don't make it so donations help you rule the server. "

This is a problem. Scripter/mappers like to show off their work, always been so. But ppl started to use the others work to get money. This is totally wrong.

Go to otservlist.org and click at any ot in the first page, then go to the description. 90% chance of you see the words "dedicated server". This is like a plague, and I can tell you... almost all of them offers VIP for money. They are the same map, the same scripts, the same rates. This is ridiculous, theres no space anymore to "home-hosted" and "creative" servers...

People can show off their work, yes, but they are also releasing the shown off work. Might as well just release the custom server you made too. If you're going to show off your work, make a video/picture showing what it does, not a script explaining how to remake it.

And for this very reason OTs suck. All OTs are the exact same now based on the OTServlist main page. I

I do agree with donations, but only for servers that actually been developed. Not a download one. Also I hate people which want everything for free here, especially sms shops etc. You will make money on this, so you have to invest money. I completely don't understand why people release anything that got to do with SMS shops.

That's exactly what I meant. A person isn't going to spend a year developing a server and get nothing in return while people are downloading and launching servers and pulling in post-secondary entrance fees and buying dedicated servers. Why make a unique server if people are going to say "Fail, donations." and then go and play a download and launch server that has no thought or work put into it? Seriously people complaining about donations need to think it through. This person spent months making a unique and fun server, so they deserve something in return. They didn't just download and launch.

How can you disagree? Also, that is wrong. OTLand is built on the basis of "If you donate, you can use up-to-date servers before everyone else!" Even TFS is based on donations that get you something in return. Any game that involves donations get you some sort of compensation. Think of it from the consumers point of view. Also, if you actually read my response, I said:

"See, if you're going to put work into a server and actually make it unique, I believe you should be allowed to have simple donations to make up for all the hard work, as long as you don't make it so donations help you rule the server. "

But as I told before, this is far from the concept of 'donation'. 'Donation' is a gift, the act of giving, a charity.. You should not expect anything in return when donating. However, OTland is "grateful" and you get some benefits by donating. How many people would donate if they hadn't the benefits they have?
And about the "games that involves donations", I don't know any game that you donates and get benefits. When you develop your own game, you can offer paid services (like Tibia does with Premium Accounts) without calling it a 'donation'. Almost every game offers advantages for money. Some games you have to pay to only play the game. And when you buy this kind of service, you know you're not donating and you expect something in return.

All OTs are the exact same now based on the OTServlist main page.

Fully agree with you.

That's exactly what I meant. A person isn't going to spend a year developing a server and get nothing in return while people are downloading and launching servers and pulling in post-secondary entrance fees and buying dedicated servers. Why make a unique server if people are going to say "Fail, donations." and then go and play a download and launch server that has no thought or work put into it? Seriously people complaining about donations need to think it through. This person spent months making a unique and fun server, so they deserve something in return. They didn't just download and launch.

I agree with you, but what you said is the theory. In practice, how many servers made their own distro, map and scripts?

Last edited:
Back