• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

OTC 1.0 Comparison

Before we see performance on old, low-end hardware, there is nothing to compare.
You guys are forgetting that significant amount of Tibia players is playing on low-end hardware. I've been corresponding with a guy that helped kondrah while OTCv8 was in development and a lot of unique stats from unique computers were gathered to help him optimize client for different hardware.

At the end, 200 or 2000 FPS won't make a difference. Stable 60+ without a lot of a processing power is what matters.

At this point comparing fps numbers became meaningless as those are simply disguised. The thing which matters most is the actual gaming experience and how smooth the game is rather than trying to compare some meaningless numbers.

That being said, having a native DirectX 9 painter without shaders will allow you to run OTClient on Geforce 2 MX 400 (DirectX 7 hardware capable) with Athlon 64 having about 60 real fps at 1280 x 1024. The question is whether you want that because it's quite cool to support such old software and I do speak from experience since I wrote several renderers from scratch and one of them was that native DirectX 9 painter which I did test on such low-end computer, but such approach does also limit you a lot. I suppose it depends what you want to achieve and whether you want to move forward (beyond Tibia) or keep it simple with support for any low-end hardware you can find.

Personally I did drop idea of supporting old hardware and I went with programmable pipeline (DirectX 11 with SM 4.0, so at least DirectX 10.0 hardware capable GPU) since I do intend to use more and more shaders for effects, but not so long ago (about half a year ago) I still wanted to support 20 years old hardware with Windows XP in mind. The point is your requirements do change along with your ideas, so it is better to specify some minimum hardware requirements before attempting to write "optimizations".

On a side note, I actually wanted (willingly) to waste my time to add a native DirectX 9 painter to OTClient since I will have no use for it (I am dropping it along with the new update), but this community and specifically the author of this post reminded me why I shouldn't really waste my time. This is precisely why I also said that you yourself (not you, but specific people who act like that) drive developers away with your cocky and demanding attitude.

If you want to get max FPS you can do it even easier, here's pseudocode, feel free to use it, there's no need to do so many changes. That's what you do right now. I didn't add it to otcv8 because it's waste of cpu/gpu power.

Unfortunately you are right and this is what I said about disguised fps numbers before, but unfortunately not many will understand what it actually means. The CPU and GPU usage will be lower since the game doesn't need to call its internal drawing methods each frame (since we are just re-using old frame to show it as "new"), but that's about it.

It is a psychological effect in which people see more fake fps being added up and this is what author of this post fell for without ability to understand the mechanics behind all of this. It's hardly surprising from the cocky attitude (Dunning–Kruger effect).

Please note I was not referring to the author of OTC 1.0 in my post at all since I do always admire people for trying to solve things on their own rather than expecting things to be done for them (the cocky and demanding attitude I did mention) and developing is the only way to actually learn from experience, so I do sincerely hope he continues learning along with gaining experience by working on further improvements.

Last edited:
As for the rest of you, great that you're having a discussion. Just, don't hate on Night Wolf. Don't hate on Kondra and don't hate on Mehah - don't hate on anyone!
Bad pressure and stress online is actually a real thing. Hate online is a real thing. Mental health is a real thing.
Keep it civilized is all we're asking of you.
Cheers!

In light of Reckful's death, these words resonate pretty hard on the internet the last few days especially. We've even had an unfortunate case of a death here on OTLand of a guy who arguably had mental health issues which might have contributed greatly to this factor, and shitty behavior online can certainly reflect itself upon a person, especially if they're lacking mental fortitude or attitude to deal with it. There must be a fine line between criticism and straight up bullying or abuse, and sometimes it's a blurry one, so I thank you for not closing this thread right away since there is some blurry stuff.

I think @Night Wolf 's post comes from a place of motivation and support for @Mehah , but in doing that, OTCv8 and the idea of it is more presented like some sort of 'enemy' we open-community have to fight against, devaluing the entire original sentiment and making it come across as petty bashing. You need to take this down a notch, and I'll say something the way I see it -

@Mehah is running a nice initiative and it's a project worth getting behind, but that does not mean it can not co-exist with OTCv8.
I can not help but notice some ugly and subtle displays of ego out there, which does no favor for this topic. In some replies, you seem like you feel attacked by some of the posts which clearly had no intention of attacking you.
If this is google translate doing its magic or something, then that's another story, but rest assured no one here is against your work, you have no reason to act so defensive about it. Keep it up!

I do understand though, that threads like this put you in an uncomfortable position of having to say something eventually. Just don't allow provocations to make you paint yourself like a clown for no reason, when people have nothing but respect towards what you're doing.

And @Night Wolf, you don't need to reiterate this story a hundred times, even you yourself say you feel like you're repeating yourself - that's because you are. I'm sure people are already aware of the situation, and there are things already being done about it, which is the basis upon which this thread was even created on.

I've been thinking about this situation with OTCv8 quite a bit, the easiest and most impulsive way to think about it is - @kondra is greedy and his actions are what contributes to the decay of this community. This was my first impulse and without giving it more thought, I rolled with it for a bit, but with the benefit of observing the situation unfold, I came to realize that there is really no reason to bash this guy, and I'd argue now that what he did resulted in a string of actions that may be more valuable to this community than him releasing his code as open source right away.

Kondra, first of all, at a time when lower level code development seemed quite dead in here (especially OTC related), came and showed that there is no need for another client, that a person with some dedication and knowledge is able to make OTC perform just fine. This was quite obvious in hindsight, it's true for pretty much any code, but I think sometimes it takes a demonstration to really let that sink in, and that's what he provided.

This, combined with the fact that it is locked behind a giant paywall, revealed that there is still some knowledgeable developers around here and I love that, I think it acts as a giant motivation factor and an example for any aspiring developer to start pushing themselves even more.
Whether your motivation is to compete and earn, or to be able to use such knowledge to pour into the community, that's up to you. You have the right to make such decisions in any way that suits you. It gave me such a motivation, and doubtless, there are other people around here who feel the same.

Second, @kondra , nor anyone here, is bound by anything else except morals, to release that code or be a provider of services for you. As predatory as that behavior may be called by those who are in the unfortunate position of wanting these changes really bad, but not being able to pay for them - this is the real world, and the guy comes from a country with a messed up economy.
He found a way to exploit the stale state of the development in this community, as there was a huge demand for something, but no supply, and used his own knowledge to be the sole supplier of that product which clearly, some people are willing to pay a huge load of money for.

This is the way of the free market, of a free world, and the moment any of us fail to consider that, is the moment when you disregard any respect for the fact that you already had level grounds to begin with. You have to realize they are not going to keep themselves level all the time. Opportunism and capitalism are alive and well, and an engine of today's modern world, which is arguably the best it has ever been in the history of our human race. Those trying to deny that and forcing other people to bend to their world view is the pressure nobody here wants, and definitely won't make you more likely to "convert" that person over to your side.
I would like to avoid drawing political parallels here, it's not a place for that.
I find it funny and sad that Godwin's law already found itself into this thread by page 3.

@Peonso is right. OTC was free for all, including @kondra. The day that it dropped under MIT license on github was the same day anyone was able to take the code and already commercialize it. If some "moral policeman" within you wanted to stop this, you should've taken that motivation and stepped up.

His morals are the only thing you can hold him accountable for, nothing else, and clearly he is very comfortable with where he stands. Why wouldn't he be? Whether you agree with that, or not, does not oblige him to give a damn, and you can paint him as a villain all you want, but it's not going to change what's happening, in fact, you are probably reinforcing his attitude by constantly insulting him (even subtly), because that just gives him less of a reason to collaborate with such a community.
I don't know the dude, maybe he can clarify, but I'm willing to take a shot in the dark and say - if the only alternative he had was to create otcv8 for free, and never put a paywall on it - he wouldn't have done it at all, because he'd be busy using his knowledge doing something else lucrative that can help him push through in a brutal economy.

Some of you can afford to take the rest of your day off after work, and mess around with code, or hobbies or whatever. Some can't. Some work 2 or 3 jobs. Some have a family reliant on their income, etc. You don't know the entire story, and nobody should have to disclose it to you so that you feel that their actions are justified;-- actions, which were never unlawful or hurtful to anyone to begin with. If they were, that'd be a different thing.

In such endeavors, if a person has a choice, they will probably try to create a reality for themselves where they are doing something they love (for example OT/Tibia stuff), and still earning enough to the point where they can continue pursuing their hobby as their actual main source of revenue.
Should such people be prohibited from still being a part of this "open" community? Should their effort to make a living from something they enjoy be shat on? As far as I know, Kondra released all but 10% of the code otcv8 uses, as well as made every possible effort to ensure that otcv8 is fully usable and largely customizable by the vast majority of its users. He actually made OTC worthy of use.

The rest of the hidden code would only ever be of any use to actual client developers. And the released sources he put out should be more than enough to give any developer worth their salt an idea of how it was achieved.

You crucify @kondra for for gatekeeping improvements behind paywall, but in fact, if he released that full code tomorrow, I would put my nutsack under a guillotine betting that these same people would 100% be frothing at the mouth as they implemented the code and ran it on their d'n'r distro with a donation shop crammed to the brims, out to earn that same money which they criticize him for doing. That's the real and saddest hypocrisy here.

Not saying that having a cash shop in your game is bad at some levels, just pointing out the fact that that's exactly what would be happening, yet when kondra found a slightly different way to earn money here (which is a lot less leechless), he's the one being put on heavy blast in numerous threads.

The idea of OTCv8 even existing is out there, is the result of a community within which very little actual developers are left, and the rest is a bunch of leeches much worse than what you're calling Kondra, who can barely implement an action script, waiting to be served the good stuff, for 5+ years straight, with zero motivation or will to learn (or share).
I know that, because I'm the first one who sold numerous useful things to people, and I've never seen it shared anywhere. If you want to debate me on my morals or reasons for doing such things, go ahead.

This was inevitably going to happen, the rot has grown rampant from the inside. This wake up call is exactly what the community needed, because if it succeeds in waking the mass conscience here up, then it will have done a greater thing than releasing otcv8 sources would ever have done on its own.

That's why I commend you @Mehah for your initiative, because I respect the fact that you are experimenting and learning things, sharing such knowledge with everyone, as so many impactful developers from this community have done in the past, and on the example of your OTCv1.0, it is shown that such conscience can be triggered or woke up, given a potent enough kick (which arguably, kondra may be the one to thank for).

Everyone says they hate drama but engage in the very same drama and toxic behavior they blame others for, we all wanna look smart on the Internet so we take every chance to try and prove it, whether it makes sense or not, speaking from personal experience.

Would you all like to see a magic trick?

Everyone says they hate drama but engage in the very same drama and toxic behavior they blame others for, we all wanna look smart on the Internet so we take every chance to try and prove it, whether it makes sense or not, speaking from personal experience.

Would you all like to see a magic trick?

I would love to see some magic in this case...
Toxicity will be as long, as there will any single human be ;)

@Iryont
A bunch of text that could all be summed up in:
"I was going to help but since Night Wolf is cocky I won't", who you think you're fooling?

I find it funny that several people here have not the slighest idea of who I am and what I do or study but they instantly think that I don't know what I'm talking or that I don't understand BASIC CS Concepts.

Guys, the world is not this microcosmos of tibia. You might have a sensation that you are good devs because you know a little about the structure of otclient and tfs but this is pratically 0.001% of what actual computer science is... the fact that none of you could actually present reasonable points to this discussion only shows me that we are creating devs that simply lack basic soft skills to be hired in any good company;

@Shadowsong kudos for you for actually being the first with good argumentation on this post, I would like to thank you for raising the level of discussion but there are a few point that you slightly deviate (probably because the distance from the situation):
OTCv8 and the idea of it is more presented like some sort of 'enemy' we open-community have to fight against, devaluing the entire original sentiment and making it come across as petty bashing. You need to take this down a notch, and I'll say something the way I see it -
That might be true on my first topic, I was very furious when I wrote it.
I was frustrated a lot to invest so much time and resources (head count) in OTC to very closely when we were about to decide replacing cip client's found a few critical issues that were "showstoppers" for us. We decided to "cancel" otc, which would make us depend again on cip's version, but that wouldn't be different than what we had before.

I never really cared about otcv8 to this point, I knew that Kondra sold his improvements over it and was kind of fine with it since it had nothing to do with me at all. We had our parallel project on top of otclient and I would never put a single dime in this community that weren't going to people who actually deserved it (through donations)

Things started to go in a different way because of Kondra's model of working, not exactly him directly, but his ideals. There was a sudden shift in the community where people actually started to realize every single service could be charged and we reduced our trustness. We always had those kind of people, but after Kondra the scale was no longer balanced. And those who always did such pratices started to endorse his attitude, because it would make their actions also valid.

When I found out that the very same issues that made me drop otclient were also presented on otcv8 version, I felt like it was a need to speak up.

When you say things like "free market", "mit license" and so on, you are opening a door that validates a lot of unfair things that always happened in this community but we choose to look the other way around. Being from Brazil I have a very recent experience of how quickly things can change when we start considering such iniciatives as "democratically valid". And now we literally have a tropical Hitler as president...

I think you're being innocent to think Kondra would actually do stuff for free if he could, when he joined the community he offered a proposal to improve the client if everyone donated him money and now he had so many people buying from him that he made a living basically from keeping the files restrict.

In such endeavors, if a person has a choice, they will probably try to create a reality for themselves where they are doing something they love (for example OT/Tibia stuff), and still earning enough to the point where they can continue pursuing their hobby as their actual main source of revenue.
Should such people be prohibited from still being a part of this "open" community? Should their effort to make a living from something they enjoy be shat on? As far as I know, Kondra released all but 10% of the code otcv8 uses, as well as made every possible effort to ensure that otcv8 is fully usable and largely customizable by the vast majority of its users. He actually made OTC worthy of use.
Remember that every villain is the hero of its own story, make a living from something you enjoy have nothing to do with his choice of business model. He could literally make a usable client for the whole community with src and lua and live from custom services. It's not about people using his stuff to host online games, you're mixing stuff. This community isn't about otadmins vs. developers, we coexist and both are essential pieces to keep things up and running. They are the demand and testers, we are the inventors. Knowing both sides and being able to transit from one to another is a crucial quirk for any inovation trigger.

As far as I know, Kondra released all but 10% of the code otcv8 uses, as well as made every possible effort to ensure that otcv8 is fully usable and largely customizable by the vast majority of its users. He actually made OTC worthy of use.
Nope, I don't know what exactly he was trying to achieve with what he released but vast majority of the codes are useless because he ommited all the parts that would make sense to the rest. He said it would serve as "study" for others, but I think it was more to give false hope and consequently try to get new potential buyers, but I won't affirm something I don't know.

You crucify @kondra for for gatekeeping improvements behind paywall, but in fact, if he released that full code tomorrow, I would put my nutsack under a guillotine betting that these same people would 100% be frothing at the mouth as they implemented the code and ran it on their d'n'r distro with a donation shop crammed to the brims, out to earn that same money which they criticize him for doing. That's the real and saddest hypocrisy here.
I think you are a little bit misguided on how open community works but I'll try to shade some light on how ideally it should be with a very good example: OR-Tools from Google.
Google created OR-Tools and put the code available for free. Yay, open source right? We have literally people getting paid just to support others to understand use this new technology. A lot of people everyday go there, grab codes and with slightest changes have a viable final product to sell. Products like complex multidimensional solvers for supply chain and best routing. Sometimes even in the forum you can grab more advance codes from people who started improving but couldn't progress further and asked for help.

Well, that may look a lot like a one-side direction, right? Absolutely not!! There are a lot of students learning about OR-Tools in their masters or doctorates (me inclusive). I not only found relevant bugs but I actually fixed them and discussed with the creators. The same thing apply for StyleGAN2 project from Nvidia that they recently opened up.

So, well, otadmins cherry picking stuff and getting money out of it have literally nothing in common to the criticism kondra is receiving.
He's getting it because of the model he's handling stuff and also because otcv8 is the only closed src thing we have in the community, that poses a serious threat to people who uses it due recent acusations of virus and data privacy.

The idea of OTCv8 even existing is out there, is the result of a community within which very little actual developers are left, and the rest is a bunch of leeches much worse than what you're calling Kondra, who can barely implement an action script, waiting to be served the good stuff, for 5+ years straight, with zero motivation or will to learn (or share).
Again, you're confusing the cause with the consequence. The reason why many devs have left is because they can't carry all the levels that a game require on their back alone. Imagine how Mark felt when he started to notice people fixing stuff for TFS and not sharing to the project? What about edubart? This has nothing to do with users of those tools, but rather with devs ho chose to not share. (that's the prisioners dillema)

This wake up call is exactly what the community needed, because if it succeeds in waking the mass conscience here up, then it will have done a greater thing than releasing otcv8 sources would ever have done on its own.
Once again mixing cause with consequence, the reason why those discussions are being brought up is not because of otcv8, but rather because they SHOULD have happened before. We missed the time to actually have this discussions earlier.

given a potent enough kick (which arguably, kondra may be the one to thank for).
While that may be true to an extent, kondra is not the reason why Mehah started to do this in first place. Me, he and some other folks have an idea, some of us for quite some time now: to run off Tibia and work into something that could go farther than tibia world. A completely new engine, with a completely new client. We are just working together until we reach the point that each one has to follow it's own path.

Last edited:
@Iryont

Correct, as i said from the beginning, my improvements are no better than @kondra , what i do is just reduce the number of calls to draw, consequently less use of GPU and CPU.

it is a simple solution to solve the slowness on weak computers, as I said in the topic of ot1.0, I have no knowledge in opengl to reach the level of v8 in a short time.

@Shadowsong
It was because the way Kondra spoke, he just made fun of how the optimizations were made.

Last edited:
@Night Wolf

Im not sure did i take all of you guys /@Shadowsong, @Iryont/ but for me it does look like somehow you are trying to discourage @Night Wolf, wheter with greater experience or putting whole conversation to level of social mechanism that not completly should be applied here.
IMHO, commercialization and selfaware of own development is speaking through Medivia developpers so they can keep their position with top-end user software. Taking this areas in to public domain would make less educated enthusiasts a possibility to create realms reacher in lore with almost same smooth gameplay. And I don't call it a greed, but a hint, which things are really imporant to take care off.

As the beginning of OTC were completely different...

@Night Wolf

Im not sure did i take all of you guys /@Shadowsong, @Iryont/ but for me it does look like somehow you are trying to discourage @Night Wolf, wheter with greater experience or putting whole conversation to level of social mechanism that not completly should be applied here.
IMHO, commercialization and selfaware of own development is speaking through Medivia developpers so they can keep their position with top-end user software. Taking this areas in to public domain would make less educated enthusiasts a possibility to create realms reacher in lore with almost same smooth gameplay. And I don't call it a greed, but a hint, which things are really imporant to take care off.

Imagine having a server that simply relies on people not figuring out what you have improved because you lack creativity and game design skills to compete as equals :p

Nope, I don't know what exactly he was trying to achieve with what he released but vast majority of the codes are useless because he ommited all the parts that would make sense to the rest. He said it would serve as "study" for others, but I think it was more to give false hope and consequently try to get new potential buyers, but I won't affirm something I don't know.
The source code he released is actually usable and not completely useless as you claim it to be. Have you actually tried to compile it?

A bunch of text that could all be summed up in:
"I was going to help but since Night Wolf is cocky I won't", who you think you're fooling?

If you read my post properly you will notice I actually didn't say I won't help, but rather the fact that your cocky and demanding attitude is what drives developers away. If someone is willing to waste his own time to help you should always appreciate it and not demand more than you can handle just because you think you deserve something.

I do stuff for my own pleasure and I do take pleasure from helping people around so they can achieve their goal as long as they have willingness to do stuff on their own with my hints rather than expecting everything to be handed.

I find it funny that several people here have not the slighest idea of who I am and what I do or study but they instantly think that I don't know what I'm talking or that I don't understand BASIC CS Concepts.

Ohh, but no one cares who you are or what you are studying. You speak of it as it means anything, but in fact it doesn't and you are just another cocky student with overestimated self esteem. You are just making a fool of yourself.

Keep in mind that if you expect to be respected then you should re-think insulting people around. That usually comes around as it just did now.

The source code he released is actually usable and not completely useless as you claim it to be. Have you actually tried to compile it?
not sure if irony or not

If you read my post properly you will notice I actually didn't say I won't help, but rather the fact that your cocky and demanding attitude is what drives developers away. If someone is willing to waste his own time to help you should always appreciate it and not demand more than you can handle just because you think you deserve something.

I'm sorry but how one can be away if they were never present? I'm not demanding anything mate, I barely have a server. I'm only here for the fun and the challenge to apply academic researches on a controlled environment. I want to of course see the community grow and reach higher skies, but unfortunately we still have people telling others how good is to live in caves and eat dirt. You would be impressed on how much you could be learning from me if you were more open to it, the same way we could all be learning from your experience if you were willing to.

I do stuff for my own pleasure and I do take pleasure from helping people around so they can achieve their goal as long as they have willingness to do stuff on their own with my hints rather than expecting everything to be handed.
the problem is that in every single interaction we had you acted like a Sphinx, always saying stuff that simply makes no sense to the point I'm doubting you even is the dev of Medivia. You just wrote a whole paragraph talking about directX and improvements on low end computers relying on understand the specifications of your requirements, dude, that may fool someone who is an outsider but you're talking with someone from the area. Optimization simply has nothing to do with requirements and what Mehah did was only cache stuff to reduce the number of calls. You talk things you don't know, you didn't even brothered to go check the commits to try and understand what you're talking about...
You are literally throwing words in the air and expecting people to actually show you an end product that in case they managed to actually finish it will be very away from what you initially told.

Ohh, but no one cares who you are or what you are studying. You speak of it as it means anything, but in fact it doesn't and you are just another cocky student with overestimated self esteem. You are just making a fool of yourself.
The objective of the topic is the otc1.0, don't need to make this about me. I know you have taken it personal ever since I highlighted that you were closing issues to hide them when you were maintainer of otc. It happened, you were caught. There are better ways to handle this hatred than trying to attack me when I'm inviting others to help in a project that isn't mine. We all know it would be a pain for you if those kind of improvements were public, don't need to try and turn people against me just to harm the initiative. You're just showing everyone your true and ugly face.

Last edited:
None at all, it was a genuine question on my end.
It doesn't compile because of some files missing, all things that could actually be used to better areas of OTC that could use an improvement were removed. Also by analyzing the assembly code from the original compiled version, the source doesn't match (methods are simply using more or different parameters and some don't even exist) which highly indicates to me that this may be a very older version.

It doesn't compile because of some files missing, all things that could actually be used to better areas of OTC that could use an improvement were removed. Also by analyzing the assembly code from the original compiled version, the source doesn't match (methods are simply using more or different parameters and some don't even exist) which highly indicates to me that this may be a very older version.
See, you are just spewing it out things at this point. Only a small portion (less than 10%) of the codebase has been redacted (none of which makes the entire codebase useless). You are essentially just missing project files from what I can see, and it shouldn't be too hard getting it too work with vanilla OTC project files.

I think there's is a lot of unnecessary discussions in here.
Instead, we could use this time to work together to keep the community alive.

I'm on it to help in any way I can.
But... Now I don't know where to contribute, since edubart's is abandoned, the OTLand's repository never accepts any commit anymore and Mehah's repository will be abandoned soon (he let clear that we intent to stop working on it).

I created a Discord server for us to discuss ways to help the community with the TFS and OTClient in a direct way, if someone is interested.

@Night Wolf @Mehah @Znote

I think there's is a lot of unnecessary discussions in here.
Instead, we could use this time to work together to keep the community alive.

I'm on it to help in any way I can.
But... Now I don't know where to contribute, since edubart's is abandoned, the OTLand's repository never accepts any commit anymore and Mehah's repository will be abandoned soon (he let clear that we intent to stop working on it).

I created a Discord server for us to discuss ways to help the community with the TFS and OTClient in a direct way, if someone is interested.

@Night Wolf @Mehah @Znote
Yes, definetely. I'm just replying them because that they are easy "UPs" for my topic. It's a shame that people this old are not aware of the Streisand effect.

I'm contacting you through discord, I'll show you how we can contribute :) but just for the sake of not misleading others, it's not like Mehah will be abandoning the project. He just have other demands in his life and is doing this in his free time that will probably end as soon as he gets assigned to a new project. This doesn't mean we can't use his repo or even work on top of it.

That might be true on my first topic, I was very furious when I wrote it.
I was frustrated a lot to invest so much time and resources (head count) in OTC to very closely when we were about to decide replacing cip client's found a few critical issues that were "showstoppers" for us. We decided to "cancel" otc, which would make us depend again on cip's version, but that wouldn't be different than what we had before.

I never really cared about otcv8 to this point, I knew that Kondra sold his improvements over it and was kind of fine with it since it had nothing to do with me at all. We had our parallel project on top of otclient and I would never put a single dime in this community that weren't going to people who actually deserved it (through donations)

Things started to go in a different way because of Kondra's model of working, not exactly him directly, but his ideals. There was a sudden shift in the community where people actually started to realize every single service could be charged and we reduced our trustness. We always had those kind of people, but after Kondra the scale was no longer balanced. And those who always did such pratices started to endorse his attitude, because it would make their actions also valid.

When I found out that the very same issues that made me drop otclient were also presented on otcv8 version, I felt like it was a need to speak up.

When you say things like "free market", "mit license" and so on, you are opening a door that validates a lot of unfair things that always happened in this community but we choose to look the other way around. Being from Brazil I have a very recent experience of how quickly things can change when we start considering such iniciatives as "democratically valid". And now we literally have a tropical Hitler as president...

I think you're being innocent to think Kondra would actually do stuff for free if he could, when he joined the community he offered a proposal to improve the client if everyone donated him money and now he had so many people buying from him that he made a living basically from keeping the files restrict.

I read the previous threads on Otland related to this topic, but I am not reading other forums, so I may not know the full story, but I grasped what I could from the situation as it was presented here. Maybe in retrospect, it would be better not to write hot-headed about something, as it can paint a crooked picture/misrepresent you as a person, yet I understand those are the most tempting moments to talk - but you must know how to find a better balance if you presume to take reigns of some revolution of mindset.

I think you're a bright guy from what I can tell, but there is a certain passive-aggressive egoistical attitude pervasive throughout all the posts/threads I've read, and I can see why some people would dismiss things you're saying, even if you are making some valid points.

I am not in the position of knowing kondra to realistically suggest how he could behave, I simply made a hypothetical suggestion and described what I think would be the outcome of that, and if the recent decade has been any indicator - with or without kondra, the trajectory was always set towards situations like this. Kondra is just the drop that spilled over your glass and you started to speak up. There are those whose glasses have spilled years ago.

I don't know what the politics in your country looks like, mine is certainly not any better neither, but I am recognizant of the fact that the general attitude and behavior of all people within such community is the driving factor behind the outcome. If the people want it, the people will get it.
He took the opportunity.

I also see that, with threads like this, your goal seems to be to influence the trajectory, and that's good, I would also like to do some things about that, it would be nice to share and contribute again to a community, working alongside knowledgeable people, but with such attitude as described above, you lose my interest already.

You want to take OpenTibia to another level, where it won't be OpenTibia, but Engine X and Client X, for a generic MMO, and let people make out of that whatever they want. That's great, but then it won't be OpenTibia. I am for such a Project X, but you'll probably receive pushback for such ideas and will need to handle that.

emember that every villan is the hero of its own story, make a living from something you enjoy have nothing to do with his choice of business model. He could literally make a usable client for the whole community with src and lua and live from custom services. It's not about people using his stuff to host online games, you're mixing stuff. This community isn't about otadmins vs. developers, we coexist and both are essential pieces to keep things up and running. They are the demand and testers, we are the inventors. Knowing both sides and being able to transit from one to another is a crucial quirk for any inovation trigger.

You're completely right, it isn't about "otadmins vs. developers". And you seem to have a very strong opinion rooted in the idea that there is a crevasse between these two terms.

In my opinion, they should not be decoupled. It's about OTAdmins becoming developers, or in the remotest case - managing other developers better to do the work for them (and you can't do good management if you have no idea about the subject - ergo, you still need to be a developer to be a manager).

I'd argue the majority of this problem stems from the fact that there is a even this divide between those 2 terms, and they are trying to be admins of OTs they have no idea how to run. You will be devoured by the hungry mob trying to appease them if you go in that direction, that's not the right way to look at this problem.

If every otadmin out here also had an interest in learning how to make fixes for their code, we'd have a board FULL of knowledgeable people, and then the burden of fixing difficult issues and stalling every other development while difficult issues were fixed, would not fall onto a single person, or a small group of a few, but the entire forum. That would go a long way towards fixing things.

You base another reply down there on this fact that there is clear line between "user" and "developer" here. And yes, once again, while that might be factually true - that is the exact problem that brought the community into this state in the first place.

I think you are a little bit misguided on how open community works but I'll try to shade some light on how ideally it should be with a very good example: OR-Tools from Google.

While that may be true to an extent, kondra is not the reason why Mehah started to do this in first place. Me, he and some other folks have an idea, some of us for quite some time now: to run off Tibia and work into something that could go farther than tibia world. A completely new engine, with a completely new client. We are just working together until we reach the point that each one has to follow it's own path.

I will summarize replies to your next following points which basically boil down to saying that I have no idea how open source works and am mistaking cause with consequence. I am not mistaking it, it's true and it has lead us to this situation and I'm pointing it out. We are allowed to speculate on a very tightly related thread of topics, yes?

I want to highlight the word ideally from the quote above. Yes, that's some ideal situation.
You are comparing the projects lead by some of the most resourceful, smartest and richest companies and developers in the field, to a platform like OTLand, filled by an entirely different crowd that's nowhere near that level of discipline. See how your attempts to decouple OpenTibia from Cipsoft's "Tibia" are going; and try it out here, see what happens. (I remember seeing one thread about it, it did not go very well, and then it further splintered the community opinion on which features we should keep from Tibia, and which should be removed as non essential, etc.).

By the way, I am fully in support of generalizing this engine/client we have into a generic tibia-like MMO, rather than following Cipsoft, but that's not the point. Just want to say, while I personally don't disagree with you - try your luck here. A paradigm shift needs to happen first.

So if we're going to build rhetorical strawmen to reply to, I can take your reply from above and add one more word to it to formulate a reply:
"I think you are a little bit misguided on how open tibia community works..."

Whether Iryont/Medivia is doing that is up to them, because like kondra, he owes nobody anything and has been through a long and arduous journey to get where he is, all the while competitors did all kinds of shady shit to try and pull him down, yet today, pretty much none of them are around anymore, and Medivia is still standing. If I were in his place, getting my server destroyed, attacked, trashtalked and DDoSed by this very community he was one of the first developers to publicly contribute in, I wouldn't think about sharing anything anymore either.

Medivia, to me, is a quite inspiring story how someone started here, and managed to climb his way to the top of his niche genre despite adversity and achieved what many of us try to do, what Night Wolf is talking about - a standalone custom game based on the same tools you have available right now.

You can choose to believe that his unwillingness to share things is based in a more personal, spiteful kind of manner (like I described in that first paragraph), but the reality might be that over the last almost 15 years, his engine and client are so different, that you can not begin hoping that you'd be able to just make a Merge Request from his source files into the official repo, and OTC will now be perfect.

If you read his replies above, you will notice he changed things pretty much from scratch. He could share all of that, and then the leechers would come crying, not knowing how to implement it, wanting every single detail written out in golden ink.
If he doesn't go along and provide every single step of the way, his contribution will be valued as useless by the vast majority, while the minority that knows how to interpret and implement it will be waited on to do it, and share with everyone else.

And for what? So the same competitors that tried to ruin him for years could get a leg up to compete with him once again?
So he would spend countless hours trying to describe to people who can't take a simple hint, how things like graphics rendering work? That's not a simple topic, it stops being in the field of enthusiasts and requires some digging in.

Look Evalor, those exact hints which you speak about are available right now in kondra code, just by reading the names of the functions and seeing what parameters are passed to them, alongside common sense, but Night Wolf claims that they are useless, while I, a complete C++ scrub who just started learning how painter/GLSL and renderer works, was already able to put 2 and 2 together and start experimenting with new solutions.
Maybe I will fail, I still have lots to try out and learn, but I'm trying something, and seeing Mehah fixes reinforces my belief that I have a decent idea what needs to be done, which is essentially what everyone here keeps saying - reduce number of draws, caching caching and better caching, queuing actions and skipping needless ones based on said caches.

Last edited:
You can choose to believe that his unwillingness to share things is based in a more personal, spiteful kind of manner (like I described in that first paragraph), but the reality might be that over the last almost 15 years, his engine and client are so different, that you can not begin hoping that you'd be able to just make a Merge Request from his source files into the official repo, and OTC will now be perfect.

The reality is indeed as you describe. I did mention DirectX 9 painter because I already wanted to implement it into OTClient main repository, but the moment I've noticed how many hours of re-arranging sources is ahead of me to e.g. remove any outside OpenGL calls and to make it all work together properly is what drives me away. I'm afraid that reading negative comments towards my person doesn't help me to gain willingness either. Another thing is I simply cannot test things which I do implement because I have nowhere to test them on. OTClient is different enough to have different needs than I do, so copying one part of code requires me to rewrite other stuff which relies on it, so it's like a chain reaction leading to hours of extra work and probably messing other stuff, too. If there won't be anyone active to fix those bugs, then it might yet again be bugged forever leading to insults than my commits did break something I didn't intend to break in the first place.

Another thing which I wanted to add to OTClient repository is vertex based lighting since lightmapping is not very efficient for OTClient.

Both things are quite useful to gain performance and to run on very old hardware. I would like to do with a pleasure, so hopefully one day I will find some time to do it being happy enough. Though I cannot share my current work for an obvious business reason, I am always willing sharing some things which I already dropped in favor of moving forward, but which are still very much useful for anyone willing to walk the same path I did.

The same goes to TFS in general. Medivia server code is based on really old OTServ branch, so from before TFS was even forked to be alive and from time when I was around being a developer. Nowadays you do use TFS since OTServ is dead for years, but it cannot be forgotten it was forked from OTServ and even despite those years it still uses the very same functions I wrote back then.

I would love to see some magic in this case...
Here you go:
tenor.gif

@Shadowsong It's hard to understand what someone is feeling by what they write, words don't quite describe what we want to say, specially considering the language barrier. I'm actually a way more nicer and interested person than I actually sound like, I'm still working to try and improve this.

I agree with a lot of what you pointed here, devs eventually will be otadmins and the opposite should happen as well, at least in some degree. But I'm trying to say is that unfortunately I can't expect someone who just want to run a project to assist me designing machine learning algorithms. They can help by testing, reporting bugs and giving tips of what could be useful to extend/improve.

Let me give you a very personal example that lately I've been strugling to decide on how to tackle. I have created a site that you simply enter, press play in some parts of it and then you get basically some sliders that allow you to generate any kind of weapon sprite in 32x32. Messing with some sliders will allow you to control intensity of details, color, shape, even the size of hilt. This is already a reality that I've been working on for about one month and a half pratically 24/7 as even when I was sleeping/working it was training in parallel.
My objective is to replace all tibia sprites, ofc this isn't a one person job because even with this tool I probably won't be able to replace a few unique models and looktypes will definetely be a challenge since you need to find versions of the same seed in different positions.

I can look each one of the infinite seeds, try to find ones that resemble tibia sprites and start replacing them. This a huge work if we consider only the ~300 weapons we have in the game. Besides this we would probably need to correct some of them manually (shadow details and some noise pixels in background). That's where community could enter in: If I share this project with others and started a repo with a list of what are the sprites missing so people could pull request the models they generated to replace them we could finalize it very quick.

While they do it, I could focus in studying more about this and try to move on to the next thing (sets and shields, probably), and after a few iterations of this we would probably have replaced 150k sprites and have tools to generate infinite possibilities of sprites. Amazing huh?

The problem is that I can't stop the feeling that if I open that, no one will be helping to replace tibia sprites and creating a single .spr that we could all use, but rather, people that have resource would probably exploit this and push even further our spriters from this community. How to deal with this problem?

You are comparing the projects lead by some of the most resourceful, smartest and richest companies and developers in the field, to a platform like OTLand, filled by an entirely different crowd that's nowhere near that level of discipline.
OR-Tools is a very very small branch from google IA labs, it's safe to say they only have one person oficially giving support and replying others on it and the community is way smaller than what we have here (just for sake of comparison, we have a mean of 3~4 posts PER DAY). If we don't have the minimum level of discipline to simply understand that we won't be able to achieve it all alone and we can do better and faster working as a group then we can stop living in societies already... IMO I think it's more about trusting that others will be able to contribute as much as you, which most people don't.

@Iryont all that you mentioned happened to me while developing Empire, we had a custom src but it reached a point that it was no longer sustentable and the only person to blame was ourselves. If we had understood from the start that working separetely would only lead to reworks we would have make all our improvements open src.

I believe those discussions could all be avoided if we just understand that ~80% of the path is the same for everyone. Why bother to do it solo when we could be working on something that we all could be using and testing together?

Back