• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

OTLand's community appreciation.

That is why it is our job not only to help people, but to teach them.

Sure I could just hand people scripts, but always annotate them, show them how they are doing, or lead them to the solution rather than giving it to them.

I don't always do that, but I usually try to give people "hints" of how to fix their scripts, rather than just re-posting their script with all the fixes.

Sure I could just hand people scripts, but always annotate them, show them how they are doing, or lead them to the solution rather than giving it to them.

I don't always do that, but I usually try to give people "hints" of how to fix their scripts, rather than just re-posting their script with all the fixes.
Your are one of the only people that I've seen in recent years that doesn't just do the work for the people, but you give them like bits a pieces at times.

That's a great idea, if the people asking for help are willing to work towards their own script or have any knowledge at all to apply to it, but a lot of them don't unfortunately. The ones that are willing to learn are usually thankful for the help provided, the ones who aren't willing don't seem to be.

That's a great idea, if the people asking for help are willing to work towards their own script or have any knowledge at all to apply to it, but a lot of them don't unfortunately. The ones that are willing to learn are usually thankful for the help provided, the ones who aren't willing don't seem to be.

You can force people to do their own work, give them the entire scripts without the functions filled out is the easiest way.

Or just give them the functions needed to do it, and explain how to use the functions.

It is kind of our fault sometimes, when we just hand people fully made scripts with config options at the top, so they never HAVE to learn ANYTHING.

You can force people to do their own work, give them the entire scripts without the functions filled out is the easiest way.

Or just give them the functions needed to do it, and explain how to use the functions.

It is kind of our fault sometimes, when we just hand people fully made scripts with config options at the top, so they never HAVE to learn ANYTHING.
you know what the OT-Community should do? :D
Start releasing websites and servers without configs, everything about config is in the actual files :D
No handicap help :p

Then people would have to actually open their webfiles, to see where the connection to the database goes, and they'd have to open C++ files to be able to change connections and all that :D

Some longer time ago I had the idea to do an OT Wiki, explaining the basics od scripting/mapping etc. The problem is I lack the time AND the knowledge to do all that by myself so as soon I find people willing to contribute I might set that up :)

It depends what your goal is.

1. Is your goal to make it so easy that anyone who has a great idea for a server can make what they want with almost no scripting knowledge.
  2. Or is your goal to help people learn how to make servers themselves.
I think both of those would be good thing. The issue is when you start doing #1, people in #2 just end up using easy no-brain scripts and then no one learns lol.

let's do #1
People who want to make their scripts custom will try to learn even if everything is available. Instead of posting ready scripts in support board, just point at what should be changed when they ask for help.
This way we can do both.

Great thread!

We must yet not forget that everyone of us aren't scripters and never will be.
Like I mentioned in another post, take me as an example, I know the basics of lua, I can change and add some in several scripts but have an hard time with others.

Im a Developer, not a Scripter, I can pretty much map like the best mappers but it will take me 5 hours for a thing they'll do in 1. My point here is that I see a server concept, a vision and an idea, I want to complete it and release it to the community. If I wouldn't get help, I would leave as I don't have the time nor interesst to become a great scripter, I want to complete servers.

Alot of people want help creating scripts and then they don't want anyone else to use the scripts (in this case) as its "theirs" for "their" server. I'd say we release as much as possible to hopefully see an explosion with fun and cool servers out there. Open Tibia should be about custom server concepts and not a faster look alike real map. Most people takes the real map as its a complete server, the don't have the knowledge or imagination to create something themselves.

Everyone want response, it may be a server, a script, a map or a sprite, we all want the response and feedback.
I'd say that everyone that takes a script (or mapping piece etc) leave a like, a thank you and/or maybe a comment of what server it will be used for or how it will be used. (You get my point) more appricitation and more nice servers! :)

TFS 1.X should be continued pushed forward with loads of complete scripts made for it, the new TFS 1.X functions as well as the help from Ninja, Zbizu, Printer, Forgee and others finaly gives me the chance to create what I want, its finaly "possible" without source edits and such. So a big thank you to the community from me.

Kind Regards,
Eldin.

Back