• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Poor laptop performance

Wavoz

Oldschooler
Reaction score
So i got this laptop: PACKARD BELL EN-TV11HC 15.6" LED, Core i5 3210M 2.5GHz, 4GB DDR3 1600MHz, 500GB HDD, DVDRW, Nvidia GT630 2GB, WIFI, USB 3.0, HDMI, 6 cell, 2.6kg, DOS
I ain't that much of a gamer but i do play some diablo time to time and i find this laptop pretty decent for diablo. I don't get any lags but i do get freezes all the time and that is really annoying! I can run Diablo with highest settings on my desktop PC which is 100 times weaker than this laptop. Today i played some Assassins Creed on this laptop and noticed that it is freezing as well, no lags just freezing at some points.
I realized that i got this retarded Nvidia Optimus technology that switches my graphic cards depending on performance i need. It uses integrated Intel graphics as primary video card and i cannot change it (unable to change in bios). I did modify games to use Nvida card at Nvida control panel but still they freeze. I also noticed that this hard drive has poor rpm (5400) maybe this can make games freeze while they are loading.
So for those who were too lazy to read my whole post or didn't understand my grammar - Can hard disks with only 5400rpms cause freezing in games?

Edit: Assassins Creed had some Steam issue (got to play it offline, disconnected from internet) working lagless now, Diablo has some unsolved problem that many people experience (asset loading). Just played Duke Nukem Forever like a boss, no lag ;)

Last edited:
Try to use power supply. For example, my cousin must plugin power supply to Macbook, before playing games because system will switch to integrated intel graphics.

Thank you for your suggestion but still the freez issue remains with Diablo. I do know how to set games to run on Nvida card not on the integrated one (Nvida Control panel is so much user frienfly than ATI Catalyst Centre). I don't have any lag in diablo no matter how high or low settings are, just fps suddenly drops when elites come to screen etc, or when loading to new cave.

Unfortunately, the laptop you described is for work (school, word processing, etc.), and Youtube - not gaming. Your laptop is far too weak to handle these types of games. The CPU will not last long if you keep on playing, and that GPU is likely to fail if it's pushed too far (speaking from experience). I played TF2 on a laptop that couldn't handle it, about two months later I turned it on and the screen was pitch black - the GPU had fried.

I suggest you stop playing graphic intensive games on this laptop. Try pong, I heard it's fun. :thumbup:

Use always the latest drivers!
The problem is not the HDD.

I am using the latest drivers :p

Unfortunately, the laptop you described is for work (school, word processing, etc.), and Youtube - not gaming. Your laptop is far too weak to handle these types of games. The CPU will not last long if you keep on playing, and that GPU is likely to fail if it's pushed too far (speaking from experience). I played TF2 on a laptop that couldn't handle it, about two months later I turned it on and the screen was pitch black - the GPU had fried.

I suggest you stop playing graphic intensive games on this laptop. Try pong, I heard it's fun. :thumbup:

I use my laptop for work, i got PS3 for gaming :p It's just i want to play some Diablo III time to time and ive seen people running it with the very same specs without any problem.
Diablo doesn't lag at all, it just freezes.

I use my laptop for work, i got PS3 for gaming :p It's just i want to play some Diablo III time to time and ive seen people running it with the very same specs without any problem.

What's your internet speed? and is there any lag/freezing in any other games?

RAM is good, should be enough for most games if your only using that 1 application.

HDD could be the problem if its slow with a small cache.

CPU is good enough.

GPU could be a problem, although its 2GB 630 thats quite low spec/speed and its GDDR3 which makes it worse than a 1GB GDDR5 graphics card.

Maybe buy a small SSD to have OS and you main game and buy a HDD bay for your current 2.5, or just use the SSD for games but a 64GB would still cost you a good £40-50 if its a SATA2 one. If you buy a good bad which uses USB3 you could get a SATA3 SDD which could cost more but its significantly faster.

What's your internet speed? and is there any lag/freezing in any other games?
I got poor internet connection but i don't experience any lag, also few other games run smooth(duke nukem forever max settings) although i donõt have many games on this laptop. Its just diablo that is freezing. I got fps 100 then some mobs appear and it drops to 3-4 then back to 100 and everything is smooth.
RAM is good, should be enough for most games if your only using that 1 application.

HDD could be the problem if its slow with a small cache.

CPU is good enough.

GPU could be a problem, although its 2GB 630 thats quite low spec/speed and its GDDR3 which makes it worse than a 1GB GDDR5 graphics card.

Maybe buy a small SSD to have OS and you main game and buy a HDD bay for your current 2.5, or just use the SSD for games but a 64GB would still cost you a good £40-50 if its a SATA2 one. If you buy a good bad which uses USB3 you could get a SATA3 SDD which could cost more but its significantly faster.
Yeah that grahpics card has slow clock speed, but it should be good enough to run diablo smoothly. I got sata 2 connection so it would be a bottle neck for SSD. Since i play games on PS3 not on laptop, i wouldn't update my hard drive. Although it would make everything run faster, i got SSD on my desktop PC and windows boots up really fast.
I just use this laptop in school office software classes where i use MS Office, Exel, Powerpoint, Publisher and at home for watching movies. And once in a while i would like to play Diablo but i can't coz that game keeps freezing up!
I have latest drivers.
I have chosen NVIDIA high performance graphics card to run diablo instead of integrated one from Nvidia control panel.
I am using the high performance power plan to make sure there is enough power for all devices.
I have tried running diablo on lowest/medium/highest settings, it has no lag, just 1-2 freezes time to time when elites appear/going trough doors.
I got good enough internet connection (runs perfect on desktop PC in the other room)

I can only think of it being your internet if it's online play that they are lagging through.

So i got this laptop: PACKARD BELL EN-TV11HC 15.6" LED, Core i5 3210M 2.5GHz, 4GB DDR3 1600MHz, 500GB HDD, DVDRW, Nvidia GT630 2GB, WIFI, USB 3.0, HDMI, 6 cell, 2.6kg, DOS
I ain't that much of a gamer but i do play some diablo time to time and i find this laptop pretty decent for diablo. I don't get any lags but i do get freezes all the time and that is really annoying! I can run Diablo with highest settings on my desktop PC which is 100 times weaker than this laptop. Today i played some Assassins Creed on this laptop and noticed that it is freezing as well, no lags just freezing at some points.
I realized that i got this retarded Nvidia Optimus technology that switches my graphic cards depending on performance i need. It uses integrated Intel graphics as primary video card and i cannot change it (unable to change in bios). I did modify games to use Nvida card at Nvida control panel but still they freeze. I also noticed that this hard drive has poor rpm (5400) maybe this can make games freeze while they are loading.
So for those who were too lazy to read my whole post or didn't understand my grammar - Can hard disks with only 5400rpms cause freezing in games?

Edit: Assassins Creed had some Steam issue (got to play it offline, disconnected from internet) working lagless now, Diablo has some unsolved problem that many people experience (asset loading). Just played Duke Nukem Forever like a boss, no lag ;)

Didn't you just answer your problem with the last sentence? Maybe it is beacuse of the games not your laptop.

I got poor internet connection but i don't experience any lag, also few other games run smooth(duke nukem forever max settings) although i donõt have many games on this laptop. Its just diablo that is freezing. I got fps 100 then some mobs appear and it drops to 3-4 then back to 100 and everything is smooth.

Yeah that grahpics card has slow clock speed, but it should be good enough to run diablo smoothly. I got sata 2 connection so it would be a bottle neck for SSD. Since i play games on PS3 not on laptop, i wouldn't update my hard drive. Although it would make everything run faster, i got SSD on my desktop PC and windows boots up really fast.
I just use this laptop in school office software classes where i use MS Office, Exel, Powerpoint, Publisher and at home for watching movies. And once in a while i would like to play Diablo but i can't coz that game keeps freezing up!
I have latest drivers.
I have chosen NVIDIA high performance graphics card to run diablo instead of integrated one from Nvidia control panel.
I am using the high performance power plan to make sure there is enough power for all devices.
I have tried running diablo on lowest/medium/highest settings, it has no lag, just 1-2 freezes time to time when elites appear/going trough doors.
I got good enough internet connection (runs perfect on desktop PC in the other room)

Well diablo can be hungry, my pc also has spikes with my 2500k @ 4.0Ghz and 6850. But a SATA2 will be fine for a older SSD, they are still sold fairly often with a good 200mb read/write.

Well diablo can be hungry, my pc also has spikes with my 2500k @ 4.0Ghz and 6850. But a SATA2 will be fine for a older SSD, they are still sold fairly often with a good 200mb read/write.

It's an internet problem, so far it only happens ingame when connected to the internet.

I run diablo 3 fine with pretty much the same specs on HP DV6 7035TX

Nvidia Geforce 630m 2gb
I5 2.5 ghz cant remember all specs but i think your processor is better than mine

Edit: Assassins Creed had some Steam issue (got to play it offline, disconnected from internet) working lagless now, Diablo has some unsolved problem that many people experience (asset loading). Just played Duke Nukem Forever like a boss, no lag

Answer right there... Fresh and I myself have pointed out it's internet problems.

I know there is a way to get offline mode for Diablo 3 with some magicz, something like it hosts its own developer mode so its possible to change a few modifiers (exp and loot.).

Ok, questions.
1) Your laptop is it wired or wireless connection to the internet?
2) If it is wireless then where are you normally when you connect? (As in how far from the wireless tranciever)
3) Specs of desktop?
4) What type of wireless transmition you got going? 802.11 a/b/g or n?

Ok, questions.
1) Your laptop is it wired or wireless connection to the internet?
2) If it is wireless then where are you normally when you connect? (As in how far from the wireless tranciever)
3) Specs of desktop?
4) What type of wireless transmition you got going? 802.11 a/b/g or n?

1) Wireless
2) 3m away, signal quality 5 bars
3) desktop specs in my signature - AMD Phenom II 565 Black Edition 3,4ghz, 4G Ram, Nvidia GT430 graphics
4) n

Back