• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Selling Prevent spam packets | Fix

sn3ejk

This account is inactive.
Solutions
Reaction score
tools-64.png
Prevent spam packets
Fix

1. Introduction

In case that you've got an OT-Server with a decent amount of players you probably know how important it is to keep your server secured. There are people out there who just wants to destroy and ruin the life of your OT-Server, a known trick they use is to spam packages ingame.​

I wish to help owners of a server, who doesn't have too much experience, but they still want to have a great server. This piece of code will protect your server, because it will prevent people from spamming packets to your server!
The code will prevent players ingame from sending too many packets by using features such as follow.
2. How does it work?

When a player got a bot and the knownledge which is required he is capable of causing massive lags to the server. He will send the server lots of packages (e.g follow) to the server, the server can take of smaller amounts of these packages but if the packages are too many the CPU usage will raise up to 100%. The server will suspend and all the players will receive massive laggs - This is a common technic hackers use to make the life hard for OT-Server owners.​

When the server realize that there is a player which is trying to cause laggs it will automaticly ignore his next packages, of course they will only be ignored for a certain time (configurable in config.lua).
The script has been tested on the latest trunk (0.4 - trunk.r5669).​
3. Payment

I do only accepy payments through paypal as a gift. The price is 15 EUR but it can be negotiated , I will sell unlimited amount of copies of it.​

I have not bought the script myself, but I can verify Ralcoral to be a very good programmer :)!

How about we skip that Ralcoral is a great programmer? He's trying to sell a "product" so let's comment on that instead. :p

How about we skip that Ralcoral is a great programmer? He's trying to sell a "product" so let's comment on that instead. :p

Just saying that he is a good programmer and whatever product he create, it's of highest quality =)!

Last edited:
What types of packages are we talking about here? SYN/UDP? And how would the server be able too block out the packages, since they all come from "different" players? (Each set of packages from different bots = different ips?)

He mean the packets in game
example when you spam the shit out of npc with bot "auto 1 buy something"
from what i understood this should be ignored with his fix
good idea Ralcoral ;)

Isn't that introduced into TFS already?
No, that isn't introduced into TFS.

What types of packages are we talking about here? SYN/UDP? And how would the server be able too block out the packages, since they all come from "different" players? (Each set of packages from different bots = different ips?)
He mean the packets in game
example when you spam the shit out of npc with bot "auto 1 buy something"
from what i understood this should be ignored with his fix
The code will prevent players ingame from sending too many same packets.

No, that isn't introduced into TFS.
The code will prevent players ingame from sending too many same packets.

//Translation to understandable English:
This code will prevent players from doing same action multiple times every second, which will send a lot of packets to the server.exe through the client.
the packets could be anything, if you say "hi", that's one kind of packet that will be sent, if you look at an item, that will be another kind of packet..
and if you make a bot to spamm around, etc looking at items, or maybe moving items, this is the kind of packets that will be sent from the client to the server.exe(because getting text-information, or move items will need you and the server to send communication with eachother).
Doing this really fast, will eventually make the server lagg(weak computers).

Not sure if my answer was easier to understand, personally I'd understand that one better :p

Ralcorals description of this were better then yours. :)

not really!
All the actions sent from the client to the server are splitted into packets. The server accept whole packets from all the players. Each packet takes abit of power from the CPU to perform the actions (e.g. attack target, buy something in shop, chat and movements).
The easiest way to cause lags to a server is to send lots of the same packet, this script will prevent the players to send too many packets and cause lags.

tools-64.png
Prevent spam packets
Refresh

Back